[REMOVE ADS]

Is Diana Ross heading to Glastonbury?

Diana Ross has music fans excited with talk she may be appearing at next year's Glastonbury Festival

The annual event is one of the highlights of the music calendar year, and last year fellow singing legend Dolly Parton wowed festivalgoers with her set. Now Glasto bosses are said to have their sights firmly set on Motown hero Diana.“[They] were thinking it was going to be impossible to top Dolly. But now it looks like they will get Diana Ross, which will be incredible," an insider revealed to British newspaper The Sun.

“It won’t be cheap but she’s worth every penny. She still tours around the world and puts on a fantastic show. "If Diana gives the green light, she'll be following in the footsteps of Shirley Bassey, Johnny Cash and Kenny Rogers who have all mixed their classic sound with more contemporary artists at the festival. One person who's backing the 70-year-old superstar is close friend Nile Rodgers from disco band Chic.

“Diana is one of my greatest friends and she is an incredible performer. I know she’d love to feel the vibe and the love from any festival audience," he gushed, before admitting she's still as demanding as ever. "Sure, she’s a diva. But I absolutely love divas because they care and are passionate about what they do. "I once saw her being told she was singing flat and she stormed out of the studio and went to France for two weeks — she says she doesn’t remember that happening," he laughed. -

http://www.independent.ie/entertainm...-30525433.html

I saw this reported today elsewhere, so who knows...

Facebook post says it is happening.

Lulu Guest
    Miss Diana Ross is a global sensation...loved and adored around the world by everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    Miss Diana Ross is a global sensation...loved and adored around the world by everyone!
    Very much so and interestingly, from the UK concerts I've attended, all age groups too!

smark21 Guest
    The next Glastonbury isn't until next year. Nothing has been announced; I'm sure once she and others are signed and confirmed there will be an official announcement. Negotiations can always fall through.

If she decides to it, it's off to the U.K.....had a great time at Symphonica in Rosso in 2009 outside of Amsterdam. She hasn't toured Europe in quite awhile.....I imagine it will draw fans across Europe. [[Now Diana dearest, how about a refreshened setlist with a little edge....the show has basically been the same since the exciting "More Today Than Yesterday Tour 2011-13......how about "Have Fun [[Again)", bring out Westlife to perform their #2 duet version of "When You Tell Me That You Love Me"....the audience will go bananas.

Why is Glastonbury such a big deal?

Some people seem to like "roughing" it and it doesn't seem to be an age thing either. I have friends who love it. Wallowing in mud, putting up with long traffic jams to get anywhere, queuing for the portable toilets and washroom facilities, sleeping on the ground with loud noise going on through the night.....and if that hasn't put you off, it's not cheap either!

Nope not for me!

Not for me either but if she's in the UK we can hope for some performances in other venues too, e.g. Wembley or my lounge even

Maybe Diana would do "her own thing" but at any event in the UK she would surely have to change her setlist from her current one.

Upside Down she still does but it would be regarded as something of an insult here if she didn't include I'm Still Waiting, Chain Reaction and When You Tell Me That You Love Me - three of her top five sellers in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Some people seem to like "roughing" it and it doesn't seem to be an age thing either. I have friends who love it. Wallowing in mud, putting up with long traffic jams to get anywhere, queuing for the portable toilets and washroom facilities, sleeping on the ground with loud noise going on through the night.....and if that hasn't put you off, it's not cheap either!

Nope not for me!
    Not really for me either but it will be worth every minute just to see Diana live again [[hopes and prays).

Glastonbury is not far from me, and in a beautiful part of the country...I'm often there and in the surrounding area, but I have never wished to attend the actual festival. Well, not unless I'm being flown in by helicopter, for a really good seat or view [[if standing) and then straight off again. And only Diana is likely to do that!

I would stay at home, get on with other things [[like being here on SDF) and watch the events on a screen.

Hope Diana does appear at the festival. Stevie Wonder in 2010,and Dolly's show this year were both great. Surely Diana would also appear elsewhere, while here...

When Stevie Wonder did Glastonbury in 2010, he also did a short arena tour of the UK. Perhaps Diana will follow suit.
    Heres hoping!

smark21 Guest
    If she played Glastonbury she would be playing to a Central Park size audience. Here's the opening of the 2007 headliners--large audience, big stage, and lots of fireworks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VXviwSLniY

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Why is Glastonbury such a big deal?
    the Glastonbury festival is such a huge music event here in the uk, imagine huge crowd, rain, mud, people camping out days before the festival, huge international music artistes that performs every year.
    it is not really my thing but I think it would be a great exposure for Diana, especially since she's been absent from the uk music scene for such a long time.

i can see Diana's fans traveling from all over Europe just to see her at this festival, I might even brave it myself if she's definitely going to be there, there's always first time for everything and I am in desperate need to see Diana perform anywhere in the uk.
    Last edited by David J; 08-22-2014 at 11:04 AM.

Her Greatest Hits show would be perfect then.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Diana Ross has music fans excited with talk she may be appearing at next year's Glastonbury FestivalThe annual event is one of the highlights of the music calendar year, and last year fellow singing legend Dolly Parton wowed festivalgoers with her set. Now Glasto bosses are said to have their sights firmly set on Motown hero Diana.“[They] were thinking it was going to be impossible to top Dolly. But now it looks like they will get Diana Ross, which will be incredible," an insider revealed to British newspaper The Sun.“It won’t be cheap but she’s worth every penny. She still tours around the world and puts on a fantastic show. "If Diana gives the green light, she'll be following in the footsteps of Shirley Bassey, Johnny Cash and Kenny Rogers who have all mixed their classic sound with more contemporary artists at the festival. One person who's backing the 70-year-old superstar is close friend Nile Rodgers from disco band Chic.“Diana is one of my greatest friends and she is an incredible performer. I know she’d love to feel the vibe and the love from any festival audience," he gushed, before admitting she's still as demanding as ever. "Sure, she’s a diva. But I absolutely love divas because they care and are passionate about what they do. "I once saw her being told she was singing flat and she stormed out of the studio and went to France for two weeks — she says she doesn’t remember that happening," he laughed. - http://www.independent.ie/entertainm...-30525433.html
    No disrespect to Miss Diane Ross but I think the First Lady of Motown record Dr Martha Reeves would be a better choice for the Glasstenbery festival imo. Miss reeves is real popular in the UK and love by millions.Roberta

Music sales of artists headlining at Glastonbury usually go through the roof. And the press and news coverage is huge. Diana appearing at Glastonbury - at least for her British and European fans - is the smartest move and splashiest 'comeback' she could possibly make.

There are artists who BEG to appear at Glastonbury - it's that good for their careers.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    No disrespect to Miss Diane Ross but I think the First Lady of Motown record Dr Martha Reeves would be a better choice for the Glasstenbery festival imo. Miss reeves is real popular in the UK and love by millions.Roberta
    No disrespect to Martha neither but why would she be a better choice than Diana? Diana is just as loved in the UK, if not more and arguably more popular here in the UK than Martha, has had a lot more singles & albums hits [[with and wihout the Supremes) than Martha, always sold out Arenas here in the UK and gets good reviews here.
    Like I said no disrespect to Martha but I beg to differ that she's a better choice than Miss Diana Ross [[Queen of Motown) to do Glastonbury, as far as I am concern, Diana is a bigger star but hey!! if you feel Martha is a bigger star, who am I say argue??????? lol!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    Music sales of artists headlining at Glastonbury usually go through the roof. And the press and news coverage is huge. Diana appearing at Glastonbury - at least for her British and European fans - is the smartest move and splashiest 'comeback' she could possibly make.

There are artists who BEG to appear at Glastonbury - it's that good for their careers.
    I agree, no one has heard much about Dolly Parton for years, then she appears at Glastonbury this year and since then is still riding high in the UK albums chart with a top 3 album.

And as I have said in my previous posts, Ross fans will travel far and wide through out Europe to see her at this huge music festival, just because she hasn't tour across Europe for many years now and just because she is the Boss that is Miss Diana Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by David J View Post
    No disrespect to Martha neither but why would she be a better choice than Diana? Diana is just as loved in the UK, if not more and arguably more popular here in the UK than Martha, has had a lot more singles & albums hits [[with and wihout the Supremes) than Martha, always sold out Arenas here in the UK and gets good reviews here.
    Like I said no disrespect to Martha but I beg to differ that she's a better choice than Miss Diana Ross [[Queen of Motown) to do Glastonbury, as far as I am concern, Diana is a bigger star but hey!! if you feel Martha is a bigger star, who am I say argue??????? lol!!!
    The First Lady of Motown record dr Martha Reeves has a huge gfollowing all over the world as has Diane and I love both ladies but feel that Marthas music is better than the supremes imo.

Roberta

The First Lady of Motown record dr Martha Reeves has a huge gfollowing all over the world as has Diane and I love both ladies but feel that Marthas music is better than the supremes imo.

Roberta
    You still haven't answered my question on why Martha would be a better choice than Diana??? Diana has also got huge fans following all around the world, so what point are trying to make??? and it's your opinion that Martha's songs are better than the Supremes, I beg to differ but you must be forgetting all the huge solo hits Diana had had all over the world, Diana is a huge international star in her own right, not just because she use to be the lead singer of the Supremes.

Diana solo hits, as well as the Supremes are well known and loved around the world, so I still don't see the point you are trying to make???
    Last edited by David J; 08-23-2014 at 10:29 AM.

Lulu Guest
    I think that, for the stature of the event, Diana Ross makes more sense as she continued to have hits into the 2000s [[her duet with Westlife hit #2 back in 2005? I think?) Also, she hasn't played abroad in about 7 years [[save for private parties, etc.) and I know from my friends over there, they are losing their minds having not seen her for quite some time. Martha, Brenda Holloway and some of the other Motown legends are indeed big stars over there and really do well with their audiences as the longevity of Northern Soul doesn't show any signs of slowing down. I've seen Diana so many times, I'd give my right leg to see Reeves, Holloway, Weston, and Chris Clark onstage! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by David J View Post
    You still haven't answered my question on why Martha would be a better choice than Diana??? Diana has also got huge fans following all around the world, so what point are trying to make??? and it's your opinion that Martha's songs are better than the Supremes, I beg to differ but you must be forgetting all the huge solo hits Diana had had all over the world, Diana is a huge international star in her own right, not just because she use to be the lead singer of the Supremes.

Diana solo hits, as well as the Supremes are well known and loved around the world, so I still don't see the point you are trying to make???
    in my opinion Martha Reeves music is a better choice for a big music festival. Its just opinions dear and dont matter who the bigger star is. Miss reeves is the greatest star to come out of Motown record in my opinion but I also love. Miss D inane Ross.

Sincerely.

Roberta

It may be useful to put Glastonbury in it's proper context to understand why Martha would not seem a good fit.The event is the annual UK equivalent of the Woodstock festival. It is a multi-million event attended by six figure crowds and televised live to many countries. Only the top stars headline the event. Even a lovely lady who represents Motown so well but who has not had a hit in the UK for over 40 years and doesn't headline major events in her homeland would be difficult for promoters and sponsors to accept.
    I would hazard a guess that outside the Motown and Northern Soul world [[which is relatively small if enthusiastic in UK), she would not be recognised by many.

Quote Originally Posted by bobkayli View Post
    It may be useful to put Glastonbury in it's proper context to understand why Martha would not seem a good fit.The event is the annual UK equivalent of the Woodstock festival. It is a multi-million event attended by six figure crowds and televised live to many countries. Only the top stars headline the event. Even a lovely lady who represents Motown so well but who has not had a hit in the UK for over 40 years and doesn't headline major events in her homeland would be difficult for promoters and sponsors to accept.
    I would hazard a guess that outside the Motown and Northern Soul world [[which is relatively small if enthusiastic in UK), she would not be recognised by many.
    But the UK keep asking the First Lady of Motown dr Martha reeves to come back bobkayli sometimes shes over there four or five times a year so I think Miss Reeves would be a real good headliner for the Glastenberry festival imo.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

But the UK keep asking the First Lady of Motown dr Martha reeves to come back bobkayli sometimes shes over there four or five times a year so I think Miss Reeves would be a real good headliner for the Glastenberry festival imo.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta
    But UK fans are more desperate to the Queen of Motown herself Miss Diana Ross cause she hasn't been in the Uk for the last 7-8 years, so we are more desperate to see Diana here in the UK, which is one of the reasons why the Glastonbury bosses are thinking to get Diana for the festival, cause they know she would be a huge hit/ success and fans will come from all over Europe to see her.

Nothing against Martha but I have already seen her twice in the last 3 years in the UK and I am much more desperate to see Diana Ross now.

Disaster for UK Diana Ross fans as it is confirmed today that Lionel Richie will be performing the Sunday teatime slot at Glastonbury next year.

I suppose it was too good to be true.

Will we ever see Diana in the UK again?

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-30270368
    Last edited by florence; 11-30-2014 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Disaster for UK Diana Ross fans as it is confirmed today that Lionel Richie will be performing the Sunday teatime slot at Glastonbury next year.

I suppose it was too good to be true.

Will we ever see Diana in the UK again?

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-30270368
    I wonder if Mr Richie will be performing "Endless Love" and whether a surprise guest might turn up to duet with him??

Now, that thought of mine could lead to some wild speculative rumours .....

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    I wonder if Mr Richie will be performing "Endless Love" and whether a surprise guest might turn up to duet with him??

Now, that thought of mine could lead to some wild speculative rumours .....

Roger
    Well, Lionel used to use a hologram/film projection of Diana during that song, sooo....Wonder if he still does?

Watch this space. The rumour mill is going into overdrive but i have had no official confirmation of Diana's attendance in 2017.

the entire population of the U.K. will show up; they'll need a bigger field!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    the entire population of the U.K. will show up; they'll need a bigger field!
    Still only rumours Jimi, but the jungle drums are certainly beating and banging.

For the past few days, it has been reported that Barry Gibb let it slip that Diana Ross will be there next year.

http://www.her.ie/life/music-legend-...ry-2017/300724