[REMOVE ADS]

And There's More - CD Releases

Seemingly on the way in 2014 [[and presumably the standard Japanese releases though I'm not sure). Imports from a UK perspective at least - on Amazon.

Cream of the Crop by Supremes [[2014) - Import
    I Hear a Symphony by Supremes [[2014) - Import
    Let the Sunshine in by Supremes [[2014) - Import
    Merry Christmas by Supremes [[2014) - Import
    Get It Together by Jackson 5 [[2014) - Import
    Lookin Through the Windows by Jackson 5 [[2014) - Import
    Skywriter by Jackson 5 [[2014) - Import
    Cloud Nine by Temptations [[2014) - Import
    Temptin Temptations by Temptations [[2014) - Import
    Wish It Would Rain by Temptations [[2014) - Import
    Easy by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell [[2014) - Import
    Moods of Marvin Gaye by Marvin Gaye [[2014) - Import
    Take Two by Marvin Gaye and Kim Weston [[2014) - Import
    That's the Way Love Is by Marvin Gaye [[2014) - Import
    Together by Marvin Gaye and Mary Wells [[2014) - Import

So what's next?

This is so incredibly helpful. I don't think I would have found any of these on my own. Thank you!

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/fl/11/397/3/

Soooo, Motown's bought the rights to license Carl Carlton's catalog to their own? AWESOME! I'd buy "She's A Bad Mama-Jama" as Motown now.

Plans outta that batch:

- Marvin Gaye's "Moods of Marvin Gaye"
    - Miracles, "Hi We're The Miracles"
    - Diana Ross & the Supremes' "Cream of the Crop"
    - Willie Hutch, "Foxy Brown" - I'd buy an album covered with Pam Grier

- DeBarge, "The DeBarges" - honestly, am aware to have hit singles out of that one is no expectation, as their ball started with "All This Love", but by good gosh, that cover is adorable!

- Phyllis St James, "Ain't No Turning Back" - new to me, so it's always awesome to explore new, unknown, assumably underrated, underappreciated, unsung names, perhaps even fell through the cracks, until now!

- Carl Carlton, "Carl Carlton"

Still hoping then, "Wave 4", more Martha Reeves & the Vandellas, Marvelettes, and Junior Walker & the All-Stars, maybe Rockwell.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 08-20-2014 at 05:21 PM.

Yay - "Portrait Of The Originals" - there's hope for "Naturally Together" yet!

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post

So what's next?
    I suppose since you asked; no, don't get me wrong, I am genuinely grateful and in awe of this mass-scale Motown album reproduction program; re-energized and re-jiggered my Motown listening and collecting, YAY, more than just 70s Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder!

Would be nice, somewhere waves 4-5:

- Martha Reeves & the Vandellas, "Watch Out!" [[w/ bonus track "My Baby Loves Me"), "Ridin' High", and "Black Magic"

- Marvelettes, "The Marvelettes" and "Return Of The Marvelettes", for curiosity's sakes.

- More Junior Walker & the All-Stars "Road Runner", "Home Cookin", and one of his later ones...."Sax Appeal"

- Shorty Long, "Here Comes The Judge"

- Supremes, "Go On", "Touch" - actually, all their albums [[eventually) of 1970-1972 would be nice [[again), since the Hip-O 70s set 1 has been long out of print and overpriced.

- Valerie Simpson, "Valerie Simpson"

- Fifth Dimension "High On Sunshine" and "Star Dancing"

- Four Tops.....I have complete faith, as they are a popular Motown mainstay, that their catalog will still be gradually released....at least up to their early 70s ones....Soooo, listing here 1983's "Back Where I Belong"

- Rockwell "Somebody's Watching Me"

- Michael Lovesmith "Rhymes Of Passion"

- Maureen Steele "Nature Of The Beast"

- Bunny DeBarge "In Love"

All that, plus "Surprise Me".
    Last edited by Ngroove; 08-20-2014 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post

Would be nice, somewhere waves 4-5:

- Martha Reeves & the Vandellas, "Watch Out!" [[w/ bonus track "My Baby Loves Me"), "Ridin' High", and "Black Magic"
    "Black Magic" is currently available; www.dustygroove.com

Ngroove:

That Maureen Steele album you mentioned was quite good. If I remember correctly, Madonna was just hitting her stride around the same time and I thought Maureen sounded similar on some tracks and gave Madge a run for her money.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Ngroove:

That Maureen Steele album you mentioned was quite good. If I remember correctly, Madonna was just hitting her stride around the same time and I thought Maureen sounded similar on some tracks and gave Madge a run for her money.
    Exactly what I wanna hear!

One really great thing about the massive-scale of release and diversity this Motown-Universal Japan thing has been doing [[100 re-releases now, 40 more in two months), such diversity and selection apparently has allowed a few formely "obscure" artist releases at a time, of singers, when actually given a listen to some of them, it's not that their albums sunk to the ends of the back end of the vinyl box and low sales because they are "just not that good" talentwise, maybe some of them of course, but for others, perhaps it's just that they have not been treated equally on the promotion ladder as Diana / Marvin / Smokey / Stevie / Tempts.

So, here's to "second chances", in CD form, for some lucky guys and gals. I see "Lovesmith" on their list, so I don't see why not "Michael Lovesmith" down the horizon; if "Phyllis St. James", why not Maureen Steele, or Jean Carne's Motown?

Has at least I'd assume, raised some overdue awareness, for Susaye Greene and Scherrie Payne and their "Partners" for one. Finis Henderson, personally to my ears since buying a "Finis", pure bouncy and danceable fun!
    Last edited by Ngroove; 08-21-2014 at 09:35 AM.

I always wonder why the Mary Wilson LP has never been included in these mass releases.

I'm always surprised at that omission too. I really liked that album even though Mary didn't seem quite so keen when she promoted it on BBC radio.

Just thinking out loud here:

I wonder how these releases affect the Hipo Select/Universal/Motown "expanded" editions, namely, the Supremes catalog.

If we're nearing the end of 2014, and we're still anticipating "A Go Go", what year do you suppose we'd get "Let the Sunshine In" and "Cream of the Crop"? And who is to say that by then everything won't be digital download only? Or that they'll ever be "expanded". Yes, I know, don't put the cart before the horse, but if this going to be our ONE chance to get these on CD, it makes it awfully tempting.

And speaking of that horse, if we can get ANOTHER reissue of "Merry Christmas" on CD, why can't we get "Funny Girl"? Or "Mary Wilson"?

Would love to see these release

Temptations - Solid Rock [[long out of print)
    Smokey & Miracles - One Dozen Roses & Flying High Together
    Four Tops - Now & Nature Planned it

and wishful thinking - The entire undisputed truth motown album collection

Ok I've just seen that One Dozen Roses & flying high together are available.... as MP3's ..... in the US ONLY!!!!!! Why do us brits get the raw deal [[[[[[[[

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Just thinking out loud here:

I wonder how these releases affect the Hipo Select/Universal/Motown "expanded" editions, namely, the Supremes catalog.

If we're nearing the end of 2014, and we're still anticipating "A Go Go", what year do you suppose we'd get "Let the Sunshine In" and "Cream of the Crop"? And who is to say that by then everything won't be digital download only? Or that they'll ever be "expanded". Yes, I know, don't put the cart before the horse, but if this going to be our ONE chance to get these on CD, it makes it awfully tempting.

And speaking of that horse, if we can get ANOTHER reissue of "Merry Christmas" on CD, why can't we get "Funny Girl"? Or "Mary Wilson"?
    Personally, a couple years or so back, I was kind of bemoaning why the only available [[ I am a physical person) "Where Did Our Love Go" was Hip-O, long out of print, and thus....well, Amazon, as I'm posting this, currently has the Expanded "used" for $374.50 at the lowest.

And now, there is another "Where Did Our Love Go" CD back on market, I think I've paid for mine a couple months back ten-something plus S+H, a lot more MERCIFUL, haha.

For Hip-O's still in print releases [[I've got 70s Supremes Vol.2, LOVE it!) and future releases, good luck, I might even take a look at them too if all is reasonable to the wallet, but COMPARE, COMPARE!

Oh wait - Brenda Holloways' "Every Little Bit Hurts" - I've been hearing that album is rare to find enough as it is even in vinyl.

Anything Brenda is good but that album is long overdue a proper CD release - the artwork was so nice. So good to see The Originals getting another airing [[just a short time after I forked out for "Portrait" on MOTD - wouldn't you know it). But I keep looking for the ones that have the original album covers - disappointing when the Tamlas, Gordys, Soul and so forth come with the Motown logo on the cover methinks. Hey - if we can have The Monitors "Greetings" [[2013) then why not The Elgins "Darling Baby"? Plus ++ how about Choker Campbell's "Hits Of The Sixties"?

I'm all for Maureen Steele's "Nature of the Beast" CD being released. I'd like to add "Hit and Run Lover" by Charlene and "Groove Patrol" by High Inergy to the want list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    Oh wait - Brenda Holloways' "Every Little Bit Hurts" - I've been hearing that album is rare to find enough as it is even in vinyl.
    Yes, I would agree - but if only we could finally get the original mono album mastered on CD like Japan did with Amos Milburn and The Contours.

Don't forget these upcoming releases plus Four Tops "On Top" and "Reach Out" [[click on the links).
    Japan

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/fl/11/397/3/

Europe
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reach-Out-Fo...ords=four+tops

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Top-Four-Top...ords=four+tops

Quote Originally Posted by mike_sku View Post
    I'm all for Maureen Steele's "Nature of the Beast" CD being released. I'd like to add "Hit and Run Lover" by Charlene and "Groove Patrol" by High Inergy to the want list.
    I agree. Would love to see these released

Reminder of upcoming releases.

Seemingly on the way in 2014 [[and presumably the standard Japanese releases though I'm not sure). Imports from a UK perspective at least - on Amazon.

Cream of the Crop by Supremes [[2014) - Import
    I Hear a Symphony by Supremes [[2014) - Import
    Let the Sunshine in by Supremes [[2014) - Import
    Merry Christmas by Supremes [[2014) - Import
    Get It Together by Jackson 5 [[2014) - Import
    Lookin Through the Windows by Jackson 5 [[2014) - Import
    Skywriter by Jackson 5 [[2014) - Import
    Cloud Nine by Temptations [[2014) - Import
    Temptin Temptations by Temptations [[2014) - Import
    Wish It Would Rain by Temptations [[2014) - Import
    Easy by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell [[2014) - Import
    Moods of Marvin Gaye by Marvin Gaye [[2014) - Import
    Take Two by Marvin Gaye and Kim Weston [[2014) - Import
    That's the Way Love Is by Marvin Gaye [[2014) - Import
    Together by Marvin Gaye and Mary Wells [[2014) - Import

So what's next?
    So you know, and i'm sure most forum members know, that many of these releases, particularly the Jackson 5 and The Temptations, have already seen two, maybe three CD releases of their titles here in the U.S. by Motown, some as recently as four years ago.

That's very true and all have been available on CD before in one form or another. I suspect "Easy" on MOTD is harder to find than most but there is a Japanese Mini LP still available. Also I'm not sure whether "Take Two" saw release on MOTD but we in the UK were treated to it on a two-fer [[with "Together") and as a stand alone [[expanded) release - both had the UK LP cover. There's already a Japanese Mini LP release of "Take Two" with the US cover.

"Together" and "Take Two"
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...-fx1QhK-fxPHRG

"Take Two +"

"Take Two" US cover - Japan Mini LP

Click the links to see Flickr photos.

Anything Brenda is good but that album is long overdue a proper CD release - the artwork was so nice. So good to see The Originals getting another airing [[just a short time after I forked out for "Portrait" on MOTD - wouldn't you know it). But I keep looking for the ones that have the original album covers - disappointing when the Tamlas, Gordys, Soul and so forth come with the Motown logo on the cover methinks. Hey - if we can have The Monitors "Greetings" [[2013) then why not The Elgins "Darling Baby"? Plus ++ how about Choker Campbell's "Hits Of The Sixties"?
    Mysterysinger, that bugs me, too. A CD reissue today should show the original album cover with the original label logo whether it be Motown, Gordy, Tamla, Soul, VIP, Rare Earth, or MoWest -- NOT the previously-reissued album cover showing the generic Motown logo, which only serves to cheapen it.

I'm right beside you in line for a legitimate CD release of Choker Campbell's "Hits Of The Sixties". Although the overall album was never as strong as Earl Van Dyke's "That Motown Sound", the sax break on Choker's version of "Where Did Our Love Go" is HOT. That sucker really swings! That one track alone was worth the price of the entire LP [[plus the fact that it was a Motown album)!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Mysterysinger, that bugs me, too. A CD reissue today should show the original album cover with the original label logo whether it be Motown, Gordy, Tamla, Soul, VIP, Rare Earth, or MoWest -- NOT the previously-reissued album cover showing the generic Motown logo, which only serves to cheapen it.

I totally agree too!

One of the problems, though, is that the product that was originally manufactured in countries other than the U.S. used different logos, like the U.K., where the label is known as "Tamla-Motown". Some of the album covers were reproduced after Jheryl Busby eliminated the subsidiary labels like Gordy and Tamla when he assumed the leadership role in the late 80s. Other times, the changed happen because a new label doesn't have the rights to a trademark, or current powers-that-be do not want it used for political/corporate reasons.

That's all true Soulster and it would be right to expect the later album releases to bear the Motown logo since they would have originally have been issued as such [[along with normal Motown label releases of course).

But I would estimate that 90% plus of the more recent Japanese releases have the original label logos [[Tamla, Soul, Gordy etc) on the covers [[probably 100% in the case of mini LPs). So it can easily be done and in the recent batches of CDs there's no real excuse for The Originals "Baby I'm For Real" to bear the generic Motown logo whereas "Portrait Of" looks like it will have the proper Soul logo.

Similarly Edwin Starr's "25 Miles" has the Gordy logo but "War & Peace" bears the generic Motown logo. The BBR "Soul Master" CD has no logo [[perhaps not surprisingly) BUT the issues from Reel Music a while ago [[Chris Clark, Jimmy Ruffin) had the correct logos.

Jimmy Ruffin "Ruff N' Ready" Reel Music release = Soul logo
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...-8aSXnz-9YipVM

Jimmy Ruffin "Ruff N' Ready" MOTD Motown Release = No logo!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...-8aSXnz-9YipVM

Jimmy Ruffin "Sings Top Ten" Japanese release = Soul logo
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...-oP2LVb-7Tu4C6

Jimmy Ruffin "Sings Top Ten" MOTD Motown release = No logo
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...-oP2LVb-7Tu4C6

Martha & The Vandellas "Heat Wave" Japanese CDs = Gordy
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...-a5eVtq-bxor17

Martha & The Vandellas "Heat Wave" MOTD Motown release = generic Motown
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...-a5eVtq-bxor17
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 09-15-2014 at 08:41 PM.