[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    smark21 Guest

Best song by The Marvelettes?

This is my choice--a quintessential Motown dance song.

I'm a stickler for "Young And In Love"..go, Wanda!

This is a hard one because there are many that are so great to me. I know I probably played My Baby Must Be A Magician until I wore out two 45's, but I am a sucker for Forever because it seemed like such a change of pace for them.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1369
Size:  21.1 KB
    I like "I Should Have Known Better" best. But I also like "The Boy From Crosstown", "The Grass Seems Greener", "When You're Young And In Love", "Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers", "I'll Keep Holding On", "Your Cheating Ways", and "That's How Heartaches Are Made" and "A Need For Love" almost as much.
    Last edited by robb_k; 08-19-2014 at 10:51 PM.

Twistin postman playboy,, hes a good guy, danger hearbreak and magician. I tend to lean to the uptempo tracks.

thomas96 Guest
    Hunter Gets Captured By The Game hands down.

Don't Mess With Bill and Here I Am Baby among the hits, but among the album tracks: Barefootin, He Was Really Sayin Somethin, Keep Off No Trespassing, The Stranger, Love Silent Love Deep, I Need Someone, just to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    This is my choice--a quintessential Motown dance song.

That was going to be my first choice. My new first choice is "Don't Mess With Bill".

"You Can Bet Your Botton Dollar"!!!!'
    Last edited by longtimefan; 08-20-2014 at 12:00 AM.

Queen of the fools, and litttle girl blue, so long b@by, your love can save me

"Too Many Hits In The Marveletes Sea" for me to pick one, ' cause they're all tall ones, kind ones, fine ones to my ear!

Much too difficult to narrow down. But THE HUNTER GETS CAPTURED BY THE GAME might just be the best written song they recorded.

The ones I can listen to over and over and never tire of are TONIGHT/THIS NIGHT WAS MADE FOR LOVE, I NEED SOMEONE, & AS LONG AS I KNOW HE'S MINE.

Almost throughout the entire 1960s, the music of The Marvelettes always got the parties started that I went to. And kept them going. As soon as the needle dropped and hit that record, the dancin' began. It all comes back to me--time, place, everything--whenever I hear their music. And at the time, who knew they were at the forefront of a company's product that would become its own genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    "Too Many Hits In The Marveletes Sea" for me to pick one, ' cause they're all tall ones, kind ones, fine ones to my ear!
    You are so right, Mark! Well done!

My vote would have to be for "The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game".

The chasing pack would include "Don't Mess With Bill", "Too Many Fish In The Sea", "I'll Keep Holding On", "The Day You Take One", "Danger, Heartbreak Dead Ahead", "You're The One", "No Time For Tears", "Reaching For Something I Can't Have" and that song where they were waiting for the postman to arrive ... now what was that one called???

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    My vote would have to be for "The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game".

The chasing pack would include ..................... and that song where they were waiting for the postman to arrive ... now what was that one called???

Roger
    Oh yeah, how could we almost forget Twistin' Postman LOL.

I divide the Marvelettes into two distinct periods: the Gladys-led period and the Wanda-led period. There was always some overlap form the beginning but I'm speaking in generalities here. The first period featured Marvelettes without any sweetening from Andantes and I loved the sharp-edged, sometimes dissonant harmonies. From that period, "Locking Up My Heart" is my favorite. To me it's just so young, infectious and irresistible. From the latter period I love "Destination Anywhere."

I'll keep holding on#1......thats how heartches are made#2....

RossHolloway Guest
    Too Many Fish In The Sea
    Maybe I've Cried My Tears [[For the Very Last Time)
    Danger, Heartbreak Dead Ahead
    Just One Last Kiss [[Before You Leave)

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    I divide the Marvelettes into two distinct periods: the Gladys-led period and the Wanda-led period. There was always some overlap form the beginning but I'm speaking in generalities here. The first period featured Marvelettes without any sweetening from Andantes and I loved the sharp-edged, sometimes dissonant harmonies. From that period, "Locking Up My Heart" is my favorite. To me it's just so young, infectious and irresistible. From the latter period I love "Destination Anywhere."
    I agree with the premise here; there truly are two very distinct periods in the Marvelettes' output.

"Locking Up My Heart" is also my favorite early Marvelettes tune, maybe because it does include both vocalists, and the raw, raunchy background vocals. Also, I can't hear it anymore without seeing in my mind the fantastic choreography where the two backups "switch sides" when the lead singer changes, taken from the Apollo performance.

In the "Wanda" period, I too love "Destination: Anywhere" which I would play over and over back in the day. Overall greatest song I think has to be "The Hunter Gets Captured By the Game" because of the arrangement and fantastic lyrics. But I think the most exquisite performance by Wanda is the beautiful "That's How Heartaches Are Made" with "Marionette" and "Seeing is Believing" not far behind.

Locking Up My Heart
    Danger Heartbreak Dead Ahead
    Destination Anywhere
    The Stranger
    Sunshine Days
    Marionette [LP version]
    A Breathtaking Guy
    Last edited by 144man; 08-20-2014 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Locking Up My Heart
    Destination Anywhere
    The Stranger
    Sunshine Days
    Marionette [LP version]
    A Breathtaking Guy
    Ah yes, "The Stranger!" How could I have left that one out? One of the greatest songs about a one night stand ever. In theme, similar to an Ike and Tina album cut "Chopper," which has more double entendre lyrics. Another great Wanda performance on this one.

Too many to choose from, but my top picks would be "I'll Keep Holding On," "Keep Off, No Trespassing," "This Night Was Made For Love," "Someway, Somehow," "Breakthrough [[I've Got My Freedom)," and "That's How Heartaches Are Made."

You should get down with this one - "I'm Gonna Hold On As Long As I Can" - it's great....

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    You should get down with this one - "I'm Gonna Hold On As Long As I Can" - it's great....
    Yes it is.
    I suppose I should have appended a third era to the act, post-Gladys. Ann's couple of leads were wonderful. As powerful as her voice was, however, the sound just didn't say "Marvelettes" to me. It was Wanda's bittersweet vocals which typified that period to my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Oh yeah, how could we almost forget Twistin' Postman LOL.
    Hmmm .. sounds a bit familiar .. but I'm not sure if that was the exact title ...

While I am racking my brain cell to think what that song might have been called here is another one from the chasing pack ....

Roger

Love all of them on the Motown Live at the Apollo LP but especially "Not too strong to be strung along",Forever and "Locking Up My Heart".

As Long as I know He's Mine
    Too Many Fish In The Sea
    Here I Am Baby

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    So true. But I'll try.

My favorite and in my Motown Top Ten is "Don't Mess With Bill".

I started listening to the radio consistently in early 1964 when I was in high school and The Beatles hit. My earliest recollection of Marvelettes' songs on the radio were "You're My Remedy" and "Don't Mess With Bill".

My first Marvelettes' album was their Greatest Hits in early 1966. It became an immediate favorite of mine and introduced me to their early hits which I still love. Whenever I meet fans of Motown or The Supremes, my litmus test for a new friend is if they LOVE The Marvelettes!

In my Top Ten Motown albums is The Marvelettes pink album, along with Sophisticated Soul.

In Full Bloom took a while to grab me and it hasn't let go. One of my favorites from that album is "Too Many Tears, Too Many Times".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XV99pVFqMA

Too Many Tears, Too Many Times
    [[William Stevenson, Ivy Jo Hunter, Eugene Dozier)
    Recorded September 1965

So many lonely nights
    I've waited here all alone
    Thinking you would write,
    Maybe you would telephone.

I was blind not to see
    The loneliness in store for me
    All those sweet things that you said
    Must be something that you read.

So completely you deceived me
    I never thought that you would leave me
    To shed too many tears too many times.

Now here you stand
    Telling me that you've returned
    Little do you know
    How my broken heart has yearned.

When just one lie [[? or line?) could save our love
    You didn't take the time
    Now you think that just your kiss
    Will ease my tortured mind.

But it's too late I'm through trying
    Cause I'm sick and tired of crying
    I've cried too many tears too many times
    And it's all over.

[[Too many tears, hey, hey, hey
    Too many times)

There was a time when it hurt me
    That our love had gone astray
    But now I've got myself together
    So be on your merry way.

I promise you my friend
    You'll never break my heart again
    Cause I've cried too many tears too many times.

Too many tears I've cried and I've cried
    Too many times I've tried and I've tried

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    So true. But I'll try.

I started listening to the radio consistently in early 1964 when I was in high school and The Beatles hit. My earliest recollection of Marvelettes' songs on the radio were "You're My Remedy" and "Don't Mess With Bill".

My first Marvelettes' album was their Greatest Hits in early 1966. It became an immediate favorite of mine and introduced me to their early hits which I still love. Whenever I meet fans of Motown or The Supremes, my litmus test for a new friend is if they LOVE The Marvelettes!
    I think that's a perfect litmus test! Like you, the "Greatest Hits" was their first album I bought. In fact, I think it was the 3rd album I ever bought in my life, after "Motown 16 Big Hits Vol. 5" and "Vandellas Greatest Hits."

Wanda could do so much with her voice.

To me, "In Full Bloom" isn't their best album because the songs are a little too much alike. I was very surprised when I read in the box set that they were mostly recorded over a period of several years. I love "Too Many Tears" but to me it's really the same song as "Rainy Mourning," just with slightly different verse/chorus phrasing. But the arrangements are beautiful and Wanda never sounded better except maybe on "Return."

I think Playboy, Hunter and Don't Mess With Bill.

I've love the Marvelettes best songs too many to choose from but
    That's how heartache are made
    Hunter gets captured by the game
    I'll keep holding on
    Please Mr postman [[ Motown 1st number 10, historic ! )

Wanda delivers that special something here:

The Marvelettes have lots of great songs that I really love; here's some of my favorites-

"I Can't Turn Around", "I Know Better", "There Is No Tomorrow [[Only Tears And Sorrow)", "Just One Last Kiss", "Locking Up My Heart [[Live Version)", "I'll Keep Holding On".
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 08-21-2014 at 09:13 AM. Reason: spelling

"Don';t Mess with Bill"; Wanda wasn't playing on that song, honey.

Or "Too Many Fish"; a treat to hear all the Marvelettes on a line.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

What do you mean that Wanda wasn't on "Bill?" I know you know she sang the lead on that one, so I'm curious what you meant, Mary.

"Now Is The Time For Love".

She means that Wanda wasn't messing around, she meant BUSINESS, and therefore you most definitely were not supposed to mess with Bill. Or to put it another way, she sang the Dickens out of that song.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    She means that Wanda wasn't messing around, she meant BUSINESS, and therefore you most definitely were not supposed to mess with Bill. Or to put it another way, she sang the Dickens out of that song.
    Oh, now I get it! Duh! Thanks!

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    So true. But I'll try.

In my Top Ten Motown albums is The Marvelettes pink album, along with Sophisticated Soul.

In Full Bloom took a while to grab me and it hasn't let go. One of my favorites from that album is "Too Many Tears, Too Many Times".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XV99pVFqMA

Too Many Tears, Too Many Times
    [[William Stevenson, Ivy Jo Hunter, Eugene Dozier)
    Recorded September 1965

So many lonely nights
    I've waited here all alone
    Thinking you would write,
    Maybe you would telephone.

I was blind not to see
    The loneliness in store for me
    All those sweet things that you said
    Must be something that you read.

So completely you deceived me
    I never thought that you would leave me
    To shed too many tears too many times.

Now here you stand
    Telling me that you've returned
    Little do you know
    How my broken heart has yearned.

When just one lie [[? or line?) could save our love
    You didn't take the time
    Now you think that just your kiss
    Will ease my tortured mind.

But it's too late I'm through trying
    Cause I'm sick and tired of crying
    I've cried too many tears too many times
    And it's all over.

[[Too many tears, hey, hey, hey
    Too many times)

There was a time when it hurt me
    That our love had gone astray
    But now I've got myself together
    So be on your merry way.

I promise you my friend
    You'll never break my heart again
    Cause I've cried too many tears too many times.

Too many tears I've cried and I've cried
    Too many times I've tried and I've tried
    I agree, this should have been an A or B side. Best track from the album.

A three-way tie between Locking Up My Heart, I'll Keep Holding On and After All.

for me.....

"Too Many Fish In The Sea" closely tied with "Too Strong To Be Strung Along" and "Lockin' Up My Heart".

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    I agree with you.... I've always been a big fan of the Marvelettes "Jump Numbers"[[as the really hip musicians woulda called em back in the 1940s) ..i.e. Please Mr Postman, Playboy, Beechwood 45789, etc.. Never bothered me in the least if the harmonies were a little rough or discordant. I think there can be charm in that and if the lyric can be presented with passion the singer has won me from the start. Nothing against Miss Young's voice, it was pleasant posesseed a great deal of clarity and somewhat of a bell tone...very nice. It's just that before i could talk, I've always been a "Slave To The Rhythm."
    Last edited by LuvHangOva; 08-24-2014 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

Indeed; Wanda was not playing around when she sang "Don't Mess With Bill". While she had done well on "I Want A Guy", "Forever", and the live version of "Locking Up My Heart", Wanda really found her style with "Don't Mess With Bill" and she never disappointed on the great songs that followed "Bill".

"Your Cheating Ways" gotta be my favorite

I like The Marvelettes’ tracks with Gladys Horton on lead vocals, but my favorites are those featuring Wanda Rogers [[with The Andantes). In fact, I’ve always felt that, in 1967, Motown should have renamed the group Wanda Rogers & The Marvelettes. The group name would definitely be classy, and it would have been consistent in keeping with the times regarding the group-name changes for Diana Ross & The Supremes, Martha Reeves & The Vandellas, and Smokey Robinson & The Miracles. I guess Wanda’s health at the time prevented any such billing. Their records are great no matter what you call ‘em, though, and here are my favorites. I love the Marv’s Motown recordings so much that it’s impossible for me to name just a few of my favorites, so I’m listing them all:

Gladys Horton:  Too Many Fish In The Sea; Tie A String Around Your Finger

Wanda Rogers:  You’re My Remedy; I Should Have Known Better; I’ll Keep Holding On; Danger Heartbreak Dead Ahead; Don’t Mess With Bill; You’re The One; The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game; When You’re Young And In Love; I Can’t Turn Around; He Was Really Saying Something; The Day You Take One [[You Have To Take The Other); When I Need You; My Baby Must Be A Magician; Destination: Anywhere; Don’t Make Hurting Me A Habit; Reaching For Something I Can’t Have; The Stranger; Here I Am Baby; Seeing Is Believing; That’s How Heartaches Are Made; Too Many Tears, Too Many Times; At Last I See Love As It Really Is; Now Is The Time For Love; After All; Fading Away; Take Me Where You Go; and I’ll Be In Trouble.

Whew! That's a lot, but they're all worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I like The Marvelettes’ tracks with Gladys Horton on lead vocals, but my favorites are those featuring Wanda Rogers [[with The Andantes). In fact, I’ve always felt that, in 1967, Motown should have renamed the group Wanda Rogers & The Marvelettes. The group name would definitely be classy, and it would have been consistent in keeping with the times regarding the group-name changes for Diana Ross & The Supremes, Martha Reeves & The Vandellas, and Smokey Robinson & The Miracles. I guess Wanda’s health at the time prevented any such billing. Their records are great no matter what you call ‘em, though, and here are my favorites. I love the Marv’s Motown recordings so much that it’s impossible for me to name just a few of my favorites, so I’m listing them all:

Gladys Horton:  Too Many Fish In The Sea; Tie A String Around Your Finger

Wanda Rogers:  You’re My Remedy; I Should Have Known Better; I’ll Keep Holding On; Danger Heartbreak Dead Ahead; Don’t Mess With Bill; You’re The One; The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game; When You’re Young And In Love; I Can’t Turn Around; He Was Really Saying Something; The Day You Take One [[You Have To Take The Other); When I Need You; My Baby Must Be A Magician; Destination: Anywhere; Don’t Make Hurting Me A Habit; Reaching For Something I Can’t Have; The Stranger; Here I Am Baby; Seeing Is Believing; That’s How Heartaches Are Made; Too Many Tears, Too Many Times; At Last I See Love As It Really Is; Now Is The Time For Love; After All; Fading Away; Take Me Where You Go; and I’ll Be In Trouble.

Whew! That's a lot, but they're all worth it.

But not "Uptown".....!!

Too many fish in the sea is probably my fav.

honorable mentions:
    When You're Young And In Love
    Beachwood
    Your My Remedy
    Destination Anywhere
    I Know Better
    Danger Heartache

I have many favorites by the Marvelettes. Of course, "Hunter Gets Captured..." is a masterpiece, lyrically and vocally. I am also partial to "You're My Remedy" and "Because I Love Him." "When You're Young and in Love" is up there too -- brings back some nice memories.

To theboyfromxtown -- Sure, I like The Marvelettes' Motown version of "Uptown". Wanda does a great job on it, and the uptempo musical arrangement is refreshing. I just don't love it like I do the other Marvelettes' tracks that I listed. I think the reason is because it lacks the mature, rich, nearly-operatic back-up vocals of The Andantes. I'm pretty spoiled by their unmistakable sound on 99% of Motown's recordings. Anything less just doesn't cut it for me. Also, when it comes to "Uptown", I guess I prefer Phil Spector's original Philles production on The Crystals. Anything else seems like a remake. But, again, I do like Wanda's version. Motown must have like it, too, since they included it on both "In Full Bloom" AND "Return Of The Marvelettes!

Phillies...

I was teasing because of your moniker!