[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    theboyfromxtown.....did I read somewhere that a album released on a group such as The Marvelettes had, for contractual reasons, to include at least one track which featured all members of the group? Would you say that is true?

If so, then I suppose 'Uptown' on the "Return of..." album is that one track....

WGB....

You may well have read it! Not sure it always happened.

Did it happen with the Archies or Milli Vanilli?

supremester Guest
    Danger: Heartbreak Dead Ahead. Definitely.

To theboyfromxtown: Uptown - Phil Spector - Philles/Motown Gary - GOOD ONE! Thanks!

I was listening to my girls the other day and realized that most of their material is great,maybe they didn't have multiple million sellers but their songs are all that and a bag of chips[i'll keep on holding on..don't mess with bill..strange i know..so long baby..you're the one..forever..destination anywhere..locking up my heart..]are you kidding me?? Oh my fav...you're the one...marvelettes forever!!

That's a cue for a Marvelettes [[Darnells) song "Too Hurt To Cry, Too Much In Love To Say Goodbye" - has anyone listed that as their favourite Marvelettes song lol?

Of course "Uptown" is best by The Crystals and Martha 's "Then He Kissed Me" and "Wait Til' My Bobby Gets Home" are no match for those Spector productions but still nice in their own way.

Another one I find hard to get out of my head is "Sugar's Never Been As Sweet As You".

Hunter is tops but I like a lot of their music. By the way, who is the harmonica player on Hunter? I could never find that out.

My pics are:

I'll Keep Holding On
    No Time For Tears
    Your Cheating Ways
    Destination Anywhere
    Don't Make Hurting Me A Habit

When it comes to Wanda Rogers & The Marvelettes, it's impossible for me to narrow it down. Favorite Marvelettes’ tracks [[and I love ‘em all equally) include:

You’re My Remedy
    Too Many Fish In The Sea
    I’ll Keep Holding On
    No Time For Tears
    Danger Heartbreak Dead Ahead
    Don’t Mess With Bill
    You’re The One
    When You’re Young And In Love
    The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game
    I Can’t Turn Around
    The Day You Take One [[You Have To Take The Other)
    When I Need You
    My Baby Must Be A Magician
    Don’t Make Hurting Me A Habit
    Reaching For Something I Can’t Have
    The Stranger
    Seeing Is Believing
    That’s How Heartaches Are Made
    Too Many Tears, Too Many Times
    Now Is The Time For Love
    After All

Philles/Motown Gary, that could be my list as well. I always single out "The Stranger" because of its dark and brooding theme and orchestration. I'm pretty sure that was an Ivy Jo Hunter song, who specialized in that type of material, not as bright as more mainstream Motown. Another example of his that I love in this vein is "Danger Heartbreak Dead Ahead."

Wanda could sing anything, in my opinion. What a pity that so much talent was effectively shut down after the Marvelettes folded with the exception of "Return" of course and the Levine productions. So many singers, so much talent, and their careers just end up being too short. I guess we should be very grateful for all we have, and have since been gifted with, on the Marvelettes as well as many other Motown groups!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Philles/Motown Gary, that could be my list as well. I always single out "The Stranger" because of its dark and brooding theme and orchestration. I'm pretty sure that was an Ivy Jo Hunter song, who specialized in that type of material, not as bright as more mainstream Motown. Another example of his that I love in this vein is "Danger Heartbreak Dead Ahead."

Wanda could sing anything, in my opinion. What a pity that so much talent was effectively shut down after the Marvelettes folded with the exception of "Return" of course and the Levine productions. So many singers, so much talent, and their careers just end up being too short. I guess we should be very grateful for all we have, and have since been gifted with, on the Marvelettes as well as many other Motown groups!
    You are so right, Kenneth. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    When it comes to Wanda Rogers & The Marvelettes, it's impossible for me to narrow it down. Favorite Marvelettes’ tracks [[and I love ‘em all equally) include:
    Well, dang! I thought this was a new thread. I just realized that my favorite Marvelettes' tracks which I just posted [[above) is a near duplicate of what I had already replied to back on August 29! Guess it just goes to show that when it comes to The Marvelettes, too much is never enough! Sorry for the duplication.

As with most Motown artists it's always impossible to pick one. Mine are:

Don't Mess With Bill
    I'll Keep Holding On
    Where You're Young & In Love
    That's How Heartaches Are Made