NEVER BEFORE AVAILABLE ON DVD!

MOTOWN 25:
    YESTERDAY-TODAY-FOREVER

Providing the Backstory for the Hit Broadway Play,
    Motown The Musical, the Emmy Award-Winning NBC Special -
    A Landmark Event in Pop Culture History - Introduced
    the World to Michael Jackson's Moonwalk and Featured
    Reunions of The Jackson 5, the Miracles & The Supremes

Configurations Include a Deluxe 6-DVD Set [[$79.95)
    Featuring the Extended Version of the Original
    Broadcast, with New 5.1 Surround Sound and Hours of
    Bonuses Including Nine Specially-Produced Featurettes,
    Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder's Rehearsal Footage,
    a Motown 25 Performers Roundtable, Interviews with
    Smokey Robinson, Martha Reeves, Otis Williams and Many
    More, an Exclusive Collector's Book and a Copy of
    the Motown 25 Program; Also Available at Retail
    Will Be a 3-DVD Set [[$39.95) and a Single [[$19.95)

THE 6-DVD SET WILL BE AVAILABLE EXCLUSIVELY ONLINE
    AT MOTOWN25DVDS.COM - PRE-ORDERS BEGIN AUGUST 19;
    RETAIL RELEASES WILL BE AVAILABLE ON SEPTEMBER 30

Fairfax, VA - When Motown 25: Yesterday-Today-Forever aired on NBC on May 16, 1983, it was an immediate sensation and became one of the most talked-about concerts and TV specials ever. In an era before social media, MOTOWN 25 was a true water-cooler event, marking the first time that music fans saw Michael Jackson do the moonwalk [[aka: the six seconds that changed the world), in addition to many other iconic performances. Six months after the broadcast, the show deservedly won a George Foster Peabody Award and an Emmy Award for best Variety Program, but has been unseen for over 20 years...until now. This fall, StarVista Entertainment/Time Life, in conjunction with de Passe Jones Entertainment and Berry Gordy's West Grand Media, is making this historic show available on DVD for the very first time.

Motown 25 was taped before a live audience, and showcased virtually every Motown artist from the company's inception, including Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross, The Supremes, The Jackson 5, The Miracles, The Temptations, Four Tops and many others. The show also featured many guests outside the Motown Records sphere who had been influenced by Motown artists, including Linda Ronstadt, who performed a memorable duet with Smokey Robinson, Billy Dee Williams, Jose Feliciano and British new wave star Adam Ant, who was riding a wave of popularity from MTV exposure. As an added highlight, the historic evening was hosted by Richard Pryor, who was arguably the hottest comedian in the world at the time. A seminal event in pop culture history, this concert event would establish the gold standard for all future televised concert events and go on to provide the backstory for the Tony-nominated Broadway play, Motown The Musical. Now, StarVista Entertainment/Time Life will make this once-in-a-lifetime concert available to music lovers in several different configurations including a deluxe 6-DVD collector's set, which will be available exclusively online at MOTOWN25DVDS.COM. The release features an extended version of the show, with over 20 additional minutes not seen on the original broadcast, as well as brand-new 5.1 surround sound revealing the music at its fullest potential. The 6-DVD set also includes nine newly-produced featurettes and additional bonus programming including:

• "Signed, Sealed, Delivered - The Making of Motown 25," which tells the behind-the-scenes story of the making of the program, and offers new insights into the rise of Motown and its roster of super stars
    • "What's Going On: Marvin Gaye"
    • "Come and Get These Memories: Inside Hitsville"
    • "Dancing In The Street: History of Motown" and more
    • Rare footage of Marvin Gaye ad-libbing at the piano prior to a soulful version of "What's Going On"
    • Stevie Wonder rehearsal footage
    • A 2-Part Motown 25 Performers Roundtable featuring Smokey Robinson and Duke Fakir [[Four Tops), Otis Williams [[The Temptations) and Executive Producer Suzanne de Passe, taped at the location of the original concert, the Pasadena Civic Auditorium
    • A "Yesterday-Today-Forever" Production Roundtable with de Passe, Director/Producer Don Mischer and others
    • Over 25 exclusive interviews with performers and crew, including Claudette Robinson [[The Miracles), Martha Reeves [[Martha & the Vandellas), Smokey Robinson, Nelson George, Gloria Jones, Adam Ant, Ashford and Simpson, Buz Kohan [[Head Writer), David Goldberg [[Executive in Charge of Production), Mickey Stevenson [[Former Head of A&R/Songwriter), Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis [[Songwriters/Producers) and many more.

Also included in the deluxe collector's box are an exclusive 48-page collector's booklet packed with information about the show and artists, production materials and never-before-scene photos from the production, essays on Motown performers, a copy of the original Motown 25 program, and more!

The retail releases, set to drop on September 30, include a 3-disc set, which features the concert and over six hours of extras, including four featurettes, the Gaye Rehearsal footage, the Performer and Production Roundtables and more; and the single DVD, which features the newly-remastered concert featuring 5.1 surround sound and over an hour of bonus features.

"Motown 25 was a labor of love for all of us involved in the production" said Suzanne de Passe, the Executive Producer of the TV show, who has overseen the creation of the DVD release. "I am so pleased that the show is now being released on DVD for the first time. It was such a magical night of music and memories. The fans of Motown, old or new, will have a great time."

Lulu Guest
    MOTOWN 25 [[6 DISCS)
    Pre-order Begins: August 19, 2014
    Price: $79.95
    Run time: Approx. 16 hours
    Online Exclusive Collection includes:
    • 6 DVDs in deluxe collector's packaging, featuring a 48-page collector's book and a copy of theMotown 25 Program; extended version of Motown 25 with over 20 additional minutes not seen in the original broadcast; new 5.1 surround sound
    • Fourteen hours of specially-created featurettes, in-depth interviews and more
    • Nine featurettes including: "Signed, Sealed, Delivered: The Making of Motown 25," "What's Going On: Marvin Gaye," "Reach Out I'll Be There: The Temptations and Four Tops," "Come and Get These Memories: Inside Hitsville," "Dancing In The Street: History of Motown," "You've Really Got a Hold on Me: The Miracles," "My Guy: Smokey Robinson," "I Heard it Through the Grapevine: Motown Sound," and "Motown 25 Reboot: The 5.1 Surround Sound Mix"
    • 2-Part Motown Performers Roundtable featuring Smokey Robinson, Duke Fakir, Otis Williams and Suzanne de Passe; the "Yesterday-Today-Forever" Production Roundtable featuring de Passe, Suzanne Coston [[Producer), Don Mischer [[Director/Producer), David Goldberg [[Executive in Charge of Production) and Buz Kohan [[Head Writer) and a Songwriters Roundtable [[1983).
    • Exclusive Interviews with: Suzanne de Passe, Don Mischer, Suzanne Coston, Duke Fakir, Otis Williams, Claudette Robsinon, Martha Reeves, Gloria Jones, Smokey Robinson, Ashford and Simpson, Adam Ant, Nelson George, Michael Lovesmith, Iris Gordy, Motown Records Songwriters/Producers Norman Whitfield and Holland Dozier Holland, Motown Executives including Shelly Berger, Russ Terrana [[Engineer), Janie Bradford, Mickey Stevenson and Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis [[Songwriters/Producers), Motown 25 writers Buz Kohan, Ruth Robinson and Don Waller, David Goldberg, George Schlatter [[George Schlatter Productions), Rick Ludwin [[former Head of NBC Specials)

MOTOWN 25 [[3 DISCS)
    Street Date: September 30
    Price: $39.95 srp
    Run time: 7 hrs, 38mins.
    • 3 DVDs in deluxe collector's packaging
    • Extended version of Motown 25 with over 20 additional minutes not seen in the original broadcast; new 5.1 surround sound
    • Over six hours of hours of specially-created featurettes, in-depth interviews and more.
    • Marvin Gaye Rehearsal Footage
    • Four featurettes including: "Signed, Sealed, Delivered: The Making of Motown 25," "What's Going On: Marvin Gaye," "Reach Out I'll Be There: The Temptations and Four Tops," "Come and Get These Memories: Inside Hitsville"
    • 2-Part Motown Performers Roundtable; the "Yesterday-Today-Forever" Production Roundtable
    • Exclusive Interviews with: Suzanne de Passe, Don Mischer, Duke Fakir, Otis Williams, Claudette Robinson, Martha Reeves

MOTOWN 25 [[SINGLE)
    Price: $19.95 srp
    • Extended version of Motown 25 with over 20 additional minutes not seen in the original broadcast; new 5.1 surround sound
    • Over an hour of bonus programming, including "Signed, Sealed, Delivered: The Making of Motown 25" and Part 1 of the Motown Performers Roundtable

Awesome. Thanks for finding this.

supremester Guest
    Thank you! I just changed my order - can't miss Iris Gordy!

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    MOTOWN 25 [[6 DISCS)
    Pre-order Begins: August 19, 2014
    Price: $79.95
    Run time: Approx. 16 hours
    Online Exclusive Collection includes:
    • 6 DVDs in deluxe collector's packaging, featuring a 48-page collector's book and a copy of theMotown 25 Program; extended version of Motown 25 with over 20 additional minutes not seen in the original broadcast; new 5.1 surround sound
    • Fourteen hours of specially-created featurettes, in-depth interviews and more
    • Nine featurettes including: "Signed, Sealed, Delivered: The Making of Motown 25," "What's Going On: Marvin Gaye," "Reach Out I'll Be There: The Temptations and Four Tops," "Come and Get These Memories: Inside Hitsville," "Dancing In The Street: History of Motown," "You've Really Got a Hold on Me: The Miracles," "My Guy: Smokey Robinson," "I Heard it Through the Grapevine: Motown Sound," and "Motown 25 Reboot: The 5.1 Surround Sound Mix"
    • 2-Part Motown Performers Roundtable featuring Smokey Robinson, Duke Fakir, Otis Williams and Suzanne de Passe; the "Yesterday-Today-Forever" Production Roundtable featuring de Passe, Suzanne Coston [[Producer), Don Mischer [[Director/Producer), David Goldberg [[Executive in Charge of Production) and Buz Kohan [[Head Writer) and a Songwriters Roundtable [[1983).
    • Exclusive Interviews with: Suzanne de Passe, Don Mischer, Suzanne Coston, Duke Fakir, Otis Williams, Claudette Robsinon, Martha Reeves, Gloria Jones, Smokey Robinson, Ashford and Simpson, Adam Ant, Nelson George, Michael Lovesmith, Iris Gordy, Motown Records Songwriters/Producers Norman Whitfield and Holland Dozier Holland, Motown Executives including Shelly Berger, Russ Terrana [[Engineer), Janie Bradford, Mickey Stevenson and Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis [[Songwriters/Producers), Motown 25 writers Buz Kohan, Ruth Robinson and Don Waller, David Goldberg, George Schlatter [[George Schlatter Productions), Rick Ludwin [[former Head of NBC Specials)

MOTOWN 25 [[3 DISCS)
    Price: $39.95 srp
    Run time: 7 hrs, 38mins.
    • 3 DVDs in deluxe collector's packaging
    • Over six hours of hours of specially-created featurettes, in-depth interviews and more.
    • Marvin Gaye Rehearsal Footage
    • Four featurettes including: "Signed, Sealed, Delivered: The Making of Motown 25," "What's Going On: Marvin Gaye," "Reach Out I'll Be There: The Temptations and Four Tops," "Come and Get These Memories: Inside Hitsville"
    • 2-Part Motown Performers Roundtable; the "Yesterday-Today-Forever" Production Roundtable
    • Exclusive Interviews with: Suzanne de Passe, Don Mischer, Duke Fakir, Otis Williams, Claudette Robinson, Martha Reeves

MOTOWN 25 [[SINGLE)
    Price: $19.95 srp
    • Over an hour of bonus programming, including "Signed, Sealed, Delivered: The Making of Motown 25" and Part 1 of the Motown Performers Roundtable

interviews with the first Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves. Im saving up for the deluxe version.

Thank you for sharing this.

Roberta

Is anyone else in a bit of sticker shock? $79.95?

with over 20 additional minutes not seen in the original broadcast;
    OH.MY. I wonder which 20 minutes will be selected. Ralph will have to be extra vigilant if you-know-what is in there.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Is anyone else in a bit of sticker shock? $79.95?
    A latte at Starbucks is $69.95 so I'm not surprised. Not happy either.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    OH.MY. I wonder which 20 minutes will be selected. Ralph will have to be extra vigilant if you-know-what is in there.
    I bought the officially released VHS version of Motown 25 in the fall of 1985 in Philadelphia. I do not know why some of these internet sites claimed it was first released in the 90's. The additional 20 mins were not really worth it. It carried performances by TG Sheppard "Devil in the Bottle", Jose Feliciano's "Lonely Teardrops", more of Smokey and Linda Rondstadt. The noticeable difference from the broadcast version and the commercially released version is that the original audio was used on the commercially released VHS version, where the audience applause was not enhanced and you heard the original vocals of Mary Wilson, Cindy Birdsong and Smokey Robinson during the finale. For the broadcast version they were mixed differently.

http://www.worldcat.org/title/motown.../oclc/13079028

I wonder if the "20 additional minutes of footage" happen to be already released. Seems to me I have two different VHS versions. One has "extra" footage. That would be a disappointment if that's the case.

Since this is a Time/Life release, I wonder if there will be one of those informercials that you see from time to time; a half-hour "special" dedicated to selling this product. Lord knows Smokey will do anything for a buck. I imagine it would be him and Suzanne.

It would be nice if Mary Wilson's "tribute" to the artists that passed is included. That's about the only other "extra" I'm intersted in.

•Nine featurettes including: "Signed, Sealed, Delivered: The Making of Motown 25," "What's Going On: Marvin Gaye," "Reach Out I'll Be There: The Temptations and Four Tops," "Come and Get These Memories: Inside Hitsville," "Dancing In The Street: History of Motown," "You've Really Got a Hold on Me: The Miracles," "My Guy: Smokey Robinson," "I Heard it Through the Grapevine: Motown Sound," and "Motown 25 Reboot: The 5.1 Surround Sound Mix"

And not one on the Supremes? You might argue that the "three maidens from the Projects of Brewster" were the biggest act to ever come out of Motown. Seems silly they wouldn't have their own featurette.

And one last thing, LOL:

Funny that there are several mentions of Martha on this expanded DVD collection, especially when her performance basically was about a half a verse.

Any chance any of the extra footage will include the, um, full version of the Diana Ross & the Supremes Reunion/Finale? My guess is it won't but it sure would be interesting to see after all these years and all the talk about it...

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    •Nine featurettes including: "Signed, Sealed, Delivered: The Making of Motown 25," "What's Going On: Marvin Gaye," "Reach Out I'll Be There: The Temptations and Four Tops," "Come and Get These Memories: Inside Hitsville," "Dancing In The Street: History of Motown," "You've Really Got a Hold on Me: The Miracles," "My Guy: Smokey Robinson," "I Heard it Through the Grapevine: Motown Sound," and "Motown 25 Reboot: The 5.1 Surround Sound Mix"

And not one on the Supremes? You might argue that the "three maidens from the Projects of Brewster" were the biggest act to ever come out of Motown. Seems silly they wouldn't have their own featurette.
    I'm sure there will be plenty ~ how can there not be?

But for anything new, probably Diana will only comment "very nice" and not be involved and probably Mary Wilson wasn't asked because this looks like a Suzanne dePasse project.

Still............this is great news!

Just ordered my box set :-)

Since the reunion was more than marginalized in the editing room back in 1983 I can see why they wouldn't try to expand it now with a deluxe featurette on the group or the reunion. Besides if a "reunion" only lasts less than 4 minutes can it even be called one? I'm just happy it is seeing a release in any form since there are some wonderful moments in the show from performers no longer with us.

There was a VHS released with about 20 extra minutes on it so I'm assuming that will be what is released on the DVD's. 6DVD's, a booklet and a program for $80? I don't think that too bad. I just wish, now that it is finally being released, that it was also available in a Blu-Ray package.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    There was a VHS released with about 20 extra minutes on it so I'm assuming that will be what is released on the DVD's. 6DVD's, a booklet and a program for $80? I don't think that too bad. I just wish, now that it is finally being released, that it was also available in a Blu-Ray package.
    Then I am not buying it. I have it already as I mentioned above. Had it for over 25 years now. They need to come up with some previously unreleased footage from the 60's and 70's.

But 6 DVDs obliterate 1 VHS tape w/20 extra minutes; I feel quite certain that within the "Fourteen hours of specially-created featurettes, in-depth interviews and more" there will be previously unreleased footage from the 60's and 70's. Count me in on this purchase for sure...

ETA: here's the official page with the disc breakdown:
    http://timelife.com/products/motown-...hCEjGiPyXWA.0Q

This is going to be sweet no matter what. It is a Motown Junkie's fix. It is Richard & Diana & Billie high as a kite.

The Supreme's/Ross part can't be huge here; the reunion was too short. It wasn't even a real reunion. It was a momentary stage appearance that disappointed all the fans.

But who cares. This will be awesome.

Disc #1
    THE SHOW
    •Extended version of the Motown 25 concert with over 40 classic Motown hits!
    Motown 25 Performers Roundtable featuring: •Smokey Robinson

•Duke Fakir [[Four Tops)

•Otis Williams [[The Temptations)

•Suzanne de Passe [[Executive Producer, Motown 25)

Featurette: Signed, Sealed, Delivered—The Making of Motown 25

Disc #2
    REHEARSAL
    •Marvin Gaye Rehearsal
    Featurette: What’s Going On: Marvin Gaye

Exclusive Interviews with: •Suzanne de Passe, Executive Producer, Motown 25

•Don Mischer, Director / Producer, Motown 25

Disc #3

THE REUNION

Producers & Performers Roundtable featuring:
    •Yesterday, Today, Forever: The Motown 25 Production Roundtable featuring Suzanne de Passe [[Executive Producer), Suzanne Coston [[Producer), Don Mischer [[Director/Producer), David Goldberg [[Executive in Charge of Production), Buz Kohan [[Head Writer)

•Motown 25 Performers Roundtable Part 2 featuring Smokey Robinson, Duke Fakir [[Four Tops), Otis Williams [[The Temptations)
    Featurette: Reach Out I’ll Be There: The Temptations and Four Tops
    Featurette: Come and Get These Memories: Inside Hitsville

Exclusive Interviews with:
    •Duke Fakir

•Four Tops

•Otis Williams

•The Temptations

•Claudette Robinson

•The Miracles

•Martha Reeves

•Martha & the Vandellas

Disc #4

HISTORY

Songwriters Roundtable [[from 1983) featuring:
    Mickey Stevenson, Former Head of A&R/Songwriter, Motown Records; Norman Whitfield, Lamont Dozier, Eddie Holland, Harvey Fuqua, Brian Holland, Ron Miller, Songwriters and Producers, Motown Records

Featurette: Dancin’ in the Streets: The History of Motown

•Norman Whitfield, Songwriter and Producer [[from 1983)

•Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier, Eddie Holland, Songwriters and Producers [[from 1983)

•Nick Ashford and Valerie Simpson, Songwriters, Motown Records

•Gloria Jones, Songwriter, Motown Records

•Shelly Berger, Manager/Former Motown Records Executive

•Mickey Stevenson, Former Head of A&R/Songwriter, Motown Records

•Suzanne Coston, Producer, Motown 25

Disc #5

LEGACY

Stevie Wonder Rehearsal

Featurette: You’ve Really Got a Hold on Me: The Miracles
    Featurette: My Guy: Smokey Robinson
    Featurette: I Heard It through the Grapevine: Motown Sound
    Featurette: Motown 25 Reboot: The 5.1 Surround Sound Mix

•Smokey Robinson

•Iris Gordy, Former Motown Records Executive

•Adam Ant, Performer, Motown 25

•Russ Terrana, Former Motown Records Engineer

Disc #6

THE PEOPLE

•Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, Producers

•Nelson George, Writer

•Ruth Adkins Robinson, Writer, Motown 25

•Buz Kohan, Head Writer, Motown 25

•David Goldberg, Executive in Charge of Production, Motown 25

•Janie Bradford, Songwriter/Motown Records Employee

•Don Waller, Author

•George and Jolene Schlatter, George Schlatter Productions

•Michael Lovesmith, President/COO, West Grand Media

•Rick Ludwin, Former Head of NBC Specials

•Michael Black, Former ICM Agent

•Tony Jones, Former Motown Executive

Not available to folks in the UK!

Interesting that not much mention is made of The Supremes. And yet on The Time Life Site [[I think it was Time-Life) it uses a picture of them together at Motown 25.

Some fill is necessary in a six DVD Box Set, but is an exclusive interview with Adam Ant necessary?

So many years later, I still wonder why he was included in the show and legit Motown artists were not included or edited to seconds.

Nevertheless this will be part of my collection

I am going to pretend that it is not available in the US either. It sounds like this own 25 Performers Roundtable featuring: •Smokey Robinson

•Duke Fakir [[Four Tops)

•Otis Williams [[The Temptations)

•Suzanne de Passe [[Executive Producer, Motown 25)

Was something they came up very recently to beef up this offering. Some of the other "key" players have passed on since 1983. They needed to include more of the folks that they cut out or didn't even invite to the first event .

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Interesting that not much mention is made of The Supremes. And yet on The Time Life Site [[I think it was Time-Life) it uses a picture of them together at Motown 25.

Some fill is necessary in a six DVD Box Set, but is an exclusive interview with Adam Ant necessary?

So many years later, I still wonder why he was included in the show and legit Motown artists were not included or edited to seconds.

Nevertheless this will be part of my collection
    "is an exclusive interview with Adam Ant necessary?"

NO! They are just out to get your money on this one. I am suspect of any project Suzanne DePasse is involved in because she has no use for accuracy or authenticity!

I still wonder why he was included in the show
    Well, the group Soft Cell had a big hit with a version of "Where Did Our Love Go?" [[attached to "Tainted Love") so I assume they wanted a "new wave" performer to show how Motown had evolved into the 80's and Adam Ant certainly had some name value.

I, for one, was really into Adam Ant back in the day and was thrilled to see him on the special at the time [[I would have still been in high school). Why not give him a current interview? It'll be worth it if he addresses Diana's surprise appearance during his number!

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    Well, the group Soft Cell had a big hit with a version of "Where Did Our Love Go?" [[attached to "Tainted Love") so I assume they wanted a "new wave" performer to show how Motown had evolved into the 80's and Adam Ant certainly had some name value.

I, for one, was really into Adam Ant back in the day and was thrilled to see him on the special at the time [[I would have still been in high school). Why not give him a current interview? It'll be worth it if he addresses Diana's surprise appearance during his number!

IF they wanted to exploit the "New Wave" phenom, they could used "the Bus Boys" or B-52's!
    I guarantee having Adam Ant on the show was Suzanne's idea, but she couldn't and wouldn't invite the Contours or the Marvelettes!Not to mention David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    IF they wanted to exploit the "New Wave" phenom, they could used "the Bus Boys" or B-52's!
    I guarantee having Adam Ant on the show was Suzanne's idea, but she couldn't and wouldn't invite the Contours or the Marvelettes!Not to mention David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks.
    Didn't the Marvelettes acheive Motown's first million seller with Postman?
    Thanks in advance.

LadyLola Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Adam Ant was HOT back in the day. Remember this was during birth of MTV and La Ant was all poopular and shit on MTV. The B-52's were MILES ahead of La Ant when it came to talent. But I guess producers didn't care. Sorry but as far at this "event" and the DVD, I'd rather wait in line to get my driver's licences renewed that watch this shit again.

Some of us have been waiting for this to appear on dvd for such a long time... and to get all the extras that will be included is a real treat. With all the people whose interviews are being included and featurettes such as "Dancin' In the Street[[s): The History of Motown" and "I Heard It Through the Grapevine: The Motown Sound", I'd suspect that the Contours, Marvelettes, David Ruffin, Eddie Kendricks will be mentioned.
    We can't undo past slights, but perhaps the roundtable discussions will give some insight into why some were not contacted/invited\were unable to be contacted.
    Did anyone take note of the people listed for Disc 6? Especially:
    George and Jolene Schlatter, George Schlatter Productions , Rick Ludwin, Former Head of NBC Specials, and Michael Lovesmith, President/COO, West Grand Media.
    Could the involvement of the Schlatters and Rick Ludwin be a prelude to other NBC [[Motown) specials {T.C.B, On Broadway, etc} being released on dvd?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLola View Post
    Sorry but as far at this "event" and the DVD, I'd rather wait in line to get my driver's licences renewed that watch this shit again.
    OMG too funny. I'm with you on this

Releases have been so few and far-between the past couple of years that I have been losing interest in adding to my Motown collection. Having releases, whether CD or DVD, coming at regular intervals added to the excitement. I used to enthusiastically await most new domestic releases but now I greet each announcement with passive interest. Add to that my approaching retirement from full-time work within the next 10 months - I'm now looking at my finances more closely. Purchases, such as this, will be on a very back burner, if at all.

This is not to say that releases shouldn't happen because interest is fading. It may be that interest is fading because Motown et al have been dragging their feet and missing opportunities to keep their customer base interested and eager. Customers are moving on whether by choice or necessity.

Lulu Guest
    I'm just going to go out on a limb here and assume that Ralph's new "rules" apply to this thread as well [[i.e. let's skip the infighting).

Obviously this is a persnickety group we have here. Very rarely is everyone pleased with what comes crawling out of the vaults.

For starters and for reasons I don't need to go into, I would think the LACK of added Supremes/Ross material would appease to those who feel over-saturated with them here or in reissue arenas.

Secondly, let's appreciate Suzanne de Passe's contributions to Motown, to the African-American cultural experience, and her many other extended ventures.

Thirdly, there seems to be a lot of vitriol aimed at the show itself which has nothing to do with this current reissue. As we've learned so many times on this forum, we can't rewrite history. Complaining and boycotting and fist shaking over something that happened 31 years ago contributes what exactly? Opinions aside, let's face certain facts. It was 1983 and this was a MAJOR network television event. Do you think the general public or many of the people in those seats were nitpicking about who was or wasn't there? No...really? Michael Jackson was the biggest deal in the universe at the time and PROBABLY the only reason 90% of the viewers tuned in that night. The other 10%? Diana, Marvin, Smokey, and Stevie. End of story. Joe Bob Wonder White Bread in Cheboygan who had a few Motown albums back in the day wasn't throwing his damn remote at the television wondering where David Ruffin or Gladys Horton were or even pondering the difference between a Wells and a Wilson.

Take it for what it was. Buy it or don't. Hell, write to Time Life if you're that upset. Put that energy to good use, folks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Didn't the Marvelettes acheive Motown's first million seller with Postman?
    Thanks in advance.
    If not the first million seller for the label, they sure achieved the first number one which allowed Motown the resources to develop more artists......... They didn't even mention them during the show. The only thing I saw was 4 or 5 seconds of the Marvelettes as a part of a montage on choreography? No Jimmy Ruffin, no Funk Brothers, No Jean Terrell, Scherrie, Susaye etc. No mention of Brenda Holloway [[I don't even think they showed her or Kim Weston's picture!). Heck, they didn't even mention Al Abrams, Berry's first official employee!
    Last edited by marv2; 08-19-2014 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Some of us have been waiting for this to appear on dvd for such a long time... and to get all the extras that will be included is a real treat. With all the people whose interviews are being included and featurettes such as "Dancin' In the Street[[s): The History of Motown" and "I Heard It Through the Grapevine: The Motown Sound", I'd suspect that the Contours, Marvelettes, David Ruffin, Eddie Kendricks will be mentioned.
    We can't undo past slights, but perhaps the roundtable discussions will give some insight into why some were not contacted/invited\were unable to be contacted.
    Did anyone take note of the people listed for Disc 6? Especially:
    George and Jolene Schlatter, George Schlatter Productions , Rick Ludwin, Former Head of NBC Specials, and Michael Lovesmith, President/COO, West Grand Media.
    Could the involvement of the Schlatters and Rick Ludwin be a prelude to other NBC [[Motown) specials {T.C.B, On Broadway, etc} being released on dvd?
    I would not buy a DVD to hear George Schlatter and his wife talk about anything. That would include the other people sans Michael Lovesmith mentioned that I've never heard of. They would need to get folks like Gladys & Bubba Knight, Jean Terrell, Jimmy Ruffin, Pete Rivera of Rare Earth [[who also were not given ANY recognition on the 1983 show), Brenda Holloway, Bobby Taylor etc, etc, etc before I would even consider plopping down what? $80.00!

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    I'm just going to go out on a limb here and assume that Ralph's new "rules" apply to this thread as well [[i.e. let's skip the infighting).

Obviously this is a persnickety group we have here. Very rarely is everyone pleased with what comes crawling out of the vaults.

For starters and for reasons I don't need to go into, I would think the LACK of added Supremes/Ross material would appease to those who feel over-saturated with them here or in reissue arenas.

Secondly, let's appreciate Suzanne de Passe's contributions to Motown, to the African-American cultural experience, and her many other extended ventures.

Thirdly, there seems to be a lot of vitriol aimed at the show itself which has nothing to do with this current reissue. As we've learned so many times on this forum, we can't rewrite history. Complaining and boycotting and fist shaking over something that happened 31 years ago contributes what exactly? Opinions aside, let's face certain facts. It was 1983 and this was a MAJOR network television event. Do you think the general public or many of the people in those seats were nitpicking about who was or wasn't there? No...really? Michael Jackson was the biggest deal in the universe at the time and PROBABLY the only reason 90% of the viewers tuned in that night. The other 10%? Diana, Marvin, Smokey, and Stevie. End of story. Joe Bob Wonder White Bread in Cheboygan who had a few Motown albums back in the day wasn't throwing his damn remote at the television wondering where David Ruffin or Gladys Horton were or even pondering the difference between a Wells and a Wilson.

Take it for what it was. Buy it or don't. Hell, write to Time Life if you're that upset. Put that energy to good use, folks!!!
    I disagree, I do not appreciate Suzanne DePasse at all! It is my opinion that she has done more to harm Motown's legacy, its Detroit roots and the African American cultural experience than any perceived contributions she supposedly made. That is my sincere opinion and it will not change!

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    OMG too funny. I'm with you on this

Releases have been so few and far-between the past couple of years that I have been losing interest in adding to my Motown collection. Having releases, whether CD or DVD, coming at regular intervals added to the excitement. I used to enthusiastically await most new domestic releases but now I greet each announcement with passive interest. Add to that my approaching retirement from full-time work within the next 10 months - I'm now looking at my finances more closely. Purchases, such as this, will be on a very back burner, if at all.

This is not to say that releases shouldn't happen because interest is fading. It may be that interest is fading because Motown et al have been dragging their feet and missing opportunities to keep their customer base interested and eager. Customers are moving on whether by choice or necessity.
    Add me to the list! LOL!!!

Does anyone know whether this release will be a free region release [[meaning I could purchase it and watch it in the UK) or Region 1 only?

Oh well, i know a lot of people in hollywood,that don't like Suznne De Passe,maybe she don't care for Mary Wilson,i really don't think she cares for Diana Ross either,[[ behind her back)i heard Suzanne was happy,when Diana left Motown.

Does anyone know from what show the video capture of Martha Reeves & the Vandellas is taken that is up at the Star Vista website [[Disc #4) and what song were they performing?

LadyLola Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Oh well, i know a lot of people in hollywood,that don't like Suznne De Passe,maybe she don't care for Mary Wilson,i really don't think she cares for Diana Ross either,[[ behind her back)i heard Suzanne was happy,when Diana left Motown.

I never trusted that Suznne, she look mean.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Does anyone know from what show the video capture of Martha Reeves & the Vandellas is taken that is up at the Star Vista website [[Disc #4) and what song were they performing?
    They are performing DANCING IN THE STREET.

I think it might be from AMERICAN BANDSTAND but I don't know for sure. I recall seeing it somewhere else with an "ab" or "dc" imprint on it. It used to be on YouTube, but I haven't seen it there in years.
    Last edited by reese; 08-20-2014 at 02:55 PM.

For those who are interested, the pre-orders begin shipping 15th September. And in conversation with Time-Life, the rep said the Deluxe Edition is a "limited release". So if you are sitting on the fence for the $79.95 cost [[6 DVDs@$13.00), here it is a little more information to consider.

[[September is shaping up to be an exciting month for Diana/Motown fans with the 1980s era Deluxe and Expanded reissues and now this. It seemed like Diana's "Central Park" concert would never come and then it did......maybe someday soon "T.C.B."/"G.I.T.".....Diana's several television specials will finally come too while I still have decent sensory mechanisms to enjoy them......maybe, maybe......maybe).

I really hope the 6 DVD edition is made available for the UK. On timelife's website they state they do not shop to the UK Booooooo

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    6DVD's, a booklet and a program for $80? I don't think that too bad. I just wish, now that it is finally being released, that it was also available in a Blu-Ray package.
    And, I just noticed "free shipping".

Star Vista does offer coupon codes online. I've found 2 current ones for 10% off MUSIC EMTHANKS

Motown 25 was one of the pinnacle successes of Motown, like the Supremes hit streak, like the J5 hit streak, like Stevie Wonder in the 70's, Marvin Gaye in the 70's and Diana Ross in the 80's. Suzanne, like her or not, was one of the Motown Superstars. She went on to huge success with the Academy Award Nomination and the Television Shows.

just ordered/bought my mega deluxe edition of this!! the first of my three 'selfed' Christmas presents!!..LOL!!