[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I can`t wait for this release as there are favourites of mine like Shorty Long ,Marv Johnson and Ivy Jo.What was your record label? Forgive me if you`ve mentioned it before and I`ve missed it. Have you any thoughts on a book?
    I`m off fishing for five days which means when I get back it will be 5 days closer to release date.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  21.1 KB
    Airwave Records. We had a couple releases on Freddie. We also distributed his own Rene Records, which had a song co-featuring Stevie Wonder playing harmonica. Freddie was a real pro in the recording studio.

blowitoutahere.com has this at a great price, only about $17, much cheaper than Amazon.

http://www.blowitoutahere.com/satisf...9/029667242424

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    blowitoutahere.com has this at a great price, only about $17, much cheaper than Amazon.

Wow...much cheaper indeed. I'm ordering from Blowitoutahere. Thanks, Kenneth!

I'd never heard Jonah Jones on Motown.... here's the album if anyone else interested... produced by Henry Cosby so had to be nice production.....

Mike-UK
    Thanks for posting Johna's album.....never heard it before. Quite enjoyed it too....nice music to read the Daily Telegraph to , if you know what I mean?
    Is there any similar 'video' covering the complete Soup Sales LP as well ?
    thanks
    Snakepit

I can't find the album, only this track which is available on the Motown singles issues... might want to read the Radio Times whilst this is playing....

I`ve just been advised that my copy has been despatched !

Mine's supposed to land on Friday, says Amazon. I'm REALLY looking forward to that Johnny Bristol track, having listened to the clips.

I have remained strong and have not listened to the clips as I know they all will be well worth the wait. Johnny`s track is going be interesting as will be my favourite, Shorty Long.

honest man Guest
    Roger you have some willpower,Mine has just dropped through letter box,im off to play now.cheers.

Just received mine.........playing it now, sounds great.
    Some good tunes.....well done to Ace.
    Great liner notes from Keith...keep 'em coming guys.
    Sad to read that Smokey & Miracles tracks are drying up.....always lived in hope that a Lost and Found on 1964-69 was a possibility .....shame.

Mine has just arrived ...

Playing the first track "Satisfaction Is Guaranteed" by BOBBY TAYLOR as I type.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by no_place_like_motown View Post
    Wow...much cheaper indeed. I'm ordering from Blowitoutahere. Thanks, Kenneth!
    You're very welcome! I notice the Amazon price has come down quite a bit but still more expensive than Blowitoutahere. I need to keep checking their stock more often and not rely so much on Amazon the monolith!

I'm really enjoying this release especially the tracks by Edwin Starr, Bruce Channel and Shorty Long. However I'm a bit bemused by the notes on the Four Tops track that state there is no evidence that the 'Breaking Through' album was ever planned. The cover artwork and even a partial track listing was shown on early Motown album inner sleeves so it must have got to the planning stage at least. If there is no surviving cover art or paperwork then perhaps all the relevant material was disposed of when the project was abandoned?
    Last edited by shoo-be-doo; 11-01-2014 at 11:03 AM.

Apologies, shoo-be-doo, it looks as though my research was inadequate.

I'd been aware of rumours about cover art for "Breaking Through", some suggesting it resembled the artwork used on the Tops' Second Album, but had never come across physical evidence, so thought I was safe in saying the only such proof the project was planned was the "fake" Label Copy I mention in my notes.

Now I see the whole issue was discussed on SDF, with comments from Harry: see http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...rough-question . Oh dear!

I notice the partial track list includes "I Can't Get You Out Of Mind". I can't find any record of the Tops cutting a song with that title in 1963, though they did have a small hit with "I Just Can't Get You Out Of My Mind" in 1974. I can't even find a "standard" tune with this title. Possibly the song intended was "I Can't Get You Out Of My Heart", a hit for Al Martino in 1959 - again, there's no record of the Tops cutting that song either.

It certainly looks as though the LP reached the planning stage, though obviously the inclusion of a non-existent track in the published list indicates that the appearance of this LP in Motown publicity was premature, to put it gently.

Keith
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 11-02-2014 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    Apologies, shoo-be-doo, it looks as though my research was inadequate.

I'd been aware of rumours about cover art for "Breaking Through", some suggesting it resembled the artwork used on the Tops' Second Album, but had never come across physical evidence, so thought I was safe in saying the only such proof the project was planned was the "fake" Label Copy I mention in my notes.

Now I see the whole issue was discussed on SDF, with comments from Harry: see http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...rough-question . Oh dear!

I notice the partial track list includes "I Can't Get You Out Of Mind". I can't find any record of the Tops cutting a song with that title in 1963, though they did have a small hit with "I Just Can't Get You Out Of My Mind" in 1974. I can't even find a "standard" tune with this title. Possibly the song intended was "I Can't Get You Out Of My Heart", a hit for Al Martino in 1959 - again, there's no record of the Tops cutting that song either.

It certainly looks as though the LP reached the planning stage, though obviously the inclusion of a non-existent track in the published list indicates that the appearance of this LP in Motown publicity was premature, to put it gently.

Keith
    Keith, maybe the track list was meant to be the song "Can't Get Out of This Mood" which is indeed on the "Breaking Through" sessions Lost-and-Found set. I love the Tops in this vein - wish they'd been able to record more jazzy vocals along the way like in this set, their "Broadway" set and a few others like it.

Here is a copy of the label for an acetate containing many of these tracks that appeared on the collectors market many years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Kenneth, that's a likely explanation, thanks. I hope you will be rewarded for your smart observation by the release of another jazzy 4T early track before too long ....

Not a dud track. Another essential to own release from Ace with the usual interesting and informative booklet.Favourites are: Shorty Long, Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, Bruce Channel, Johnny Bristol, Chuck Jackson, Spinners and Jr. Walker & the All Stars.
    Re the Four Tops the picture on the proposed cover for "Breaking Through" is the same as the cover for "Second Album" but reversed and lengthened.Thanks for the acetate pictures shoo-be-doo as this varies from the Workshop Jazz cover. More to ponder over.

Quote Originally Posted by shoo-be-doo View Post
    Here is a copy of the label for an acetate containing many of these tracks that appeared on the collectors market many years ago.
    Did Frank Morelli the bassoonist record for Jazz Workshop.Maybe he has an unreleased album in the vaults.

Kenneth, that's a likely explanation, thanks. I hope you will be rewarded for your smart observation by the release of another jazzy 4T early track before too long ....
    Hey, should I read anything into that? Hope so!

I haven't received my "Satisfaction" set but I should have it within a week or so. Can't wait to hear it. Sounds fantastic.

There are 9 Morelli tracks in the Vaults, it would seem, Roger. Not sure why they were left off the 1963 Unreleased series but there we are. Glad you like the CD. My favourite is the Miracles' track, but as a Miracles fan I would say that ...

We should all live in hope, Kenneth.

It never ceases to amaze me at the quality of the vaulted tracks that have been dusted off. I would not be disappointed if some of the not so good tracks make it to disc as after all those that have now seen the light of day were turned down by Quality Control. I don`t like the thought of any recordings being locked away for good.
    It`s November so it must be close to Unreleased Motown 1964 for download.Maybe we`ll get those Morelli titles then Keith.

I received my copy today. It was especially good to hear the 1963 previously download only tracks in cd quality sound.
    If John Lester [[golden ears) happens to read this, might he respond.
    Hearing "Say, Say Baby" again, I could swear that I'm hearing ) Sandra Fagin of the Monitors [[and perhaps, other group members) on the aaah's in the background. In fact, at times, it seems to me as if the lead singer is imitating Smokey and/or Richard's vocal style.

It is indeed good to see this CD and well done to Kent for bringing it out. I like the vast majority of tracks on here - particularly Bobby Taylor, Shorty Long , Smokey, Edwin Starr and Marv Johnson - and it is fascinating to hear such a totally different take on "He who picks a rose" by The Temptations but it is also good to be reminded that Motown's quality control existed for a reason and I can quite see why very poor songs like The Spinners' "Hold on to me" and the Fantastic Four's "I wanna say I love you" have not appeared until now. The Four Tops track also leaves me completely cold but not many people can be expected to like all 24 cuts on a CD.

I've had a good listen now, and although there a couple of tracks that do nothing for me, I prefer to concentrate on the positive.
    Top 3 tracks
    Baby You Got The Key - This would certainly not have been out of place on the Going To A Go Go/Away We A Go Go albums, and could easily be one of that exquisite run of B sides from that era. The harmonies are great, the electric piano figure is stuck in my brain, and Smokey as ever is excellent on a typical metaphor-laden lyric.
    Where Did You Go - The marriage of a great singer with one of HDH's early classics works perfectly, so soulful. It's a real pity Chuck Jackson's tenure at Motown didn't work out commercially. I think everyone inside the company and us fans hoped it would.
    Tell Me How To Forget A True Love - Somehow reminds me of an Impressions' track, and I bet Johnny Bristol must have been disappointed at the time not to get a release.

Bubbling under...

Safety Zone - Marv Johnson [[always liked it in its unofficial version)
    My Girl Annie - Jr Walker [[samey for Junior, but it's a jumping track)
    The Night We Called It A Day - 4 Tops. Not a Motown sound, but some superb group singing. And I'm still trying to work out who takes the solo towards the close. Though at first it was Duke, but then it goes lower and could be Lawrence... or even Obie.

I also like the early 60s tracks much better than I thought I would, so all in all a great release.

PS: Going negative, my big disappointment is the Spinners track. A mess of a song, and no Bobby Smith on lead [[although I do like GC Cameron as a singer).

There are 9 Morelli tracks in the Vaults, it would seem, Roger. Not sure why they were left off the 1963 Unreleased series but there we are. Glad you like the CD. My favourite is the Miracles' track, but as a Miracles fan I would say that ...

We should all live in hope, Kenneth.
    Such a tease!!!

honest man Guest
    Great cd my faves must be Show me you can dance-Hitpack,tell me how-Johnny Bristol,Together till the end of time-Frank Wilson Loneliness made me ,,,Jimmy Ruffin Where did you go -Chuck Jackson ,Thanks to all contributors to project,would have picked Quails,Freddie Gorman,Temptations,Serenaders to list but have heard before.love them.By the way may we have some of the 50 unreleased Fantastic 4 vaulted songs next please guys.Thanks again and much appreciated Always.cheers.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    I'd never heard Jonah Jones on Motown.... here's the album if anyone else interested... produced by Henry Cosby so had to be nice production.....
    Thanks for posting this, it's the first time I've heard the entire album, a very nice piece of work.

Just got my copy today and have played it once.

Favourites include Shorty Long, Fantastic Four [[George Gordy's work has always been under-appreciated), Bruce Channel [[nice to get a never-heard-before HDH composition) and the Headliners. Both the Bruce Channel and the Headliners tracks are much stronger than the artists' released singles.

I agree with the negative opinions on the Spinners track. The backing track and the lead vocal track would sound good enough in isolation from each other, but just don't fit together to make a coherent whole.

I always thought it was a glaring omission that the cover for the 4 Tops' Breaking Through album as pictured on the early Motown inner sleeves was not reproduced in the Lost and Found booklet, so Keith Hughes can be forgiven for not knowing about it.

Just got my copy! Can't wait to play it tonight. A beautiful booklet and informative notes as usual. Yes, I agree, I think we have to forgive Keith for not knowing about the "Breaking Through" album art. Hey, we can be that big can't we???

I just got my copy today and am trying to not play it until tomorrow when I am in the car and I can concentrate on the music ...and driving, without being driven to distraction. From the point that I placed my order, I have been playing Finders Keepers a lot and forgot what an excellent set that was.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    I can`t wait for this release as there are favourites of mine like Shorty Long ,Marv Johnson and Ivy Jo.What was your record label? Forgive me if you`ve mentioned it before and I`ve missed it. Have you any thoughts on a book?
    I`m off fishing for five days which means when I get back it will be 5 days closer to release date.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  21.1 KB
    I am a writer by trade, and am working on a science fiction comedy book series about a robot family in the distant future, who return to earlier times, when The Earth still was occupied by humans, and they were just starting to develop robots that could function at close to the human level.

Wev'e had offers to accept our first book, but only at a cut of sales that is too low to accept, and with no provision for the other books in the series. Over the last 30 years, I've written some screenplays for animation, and hundreds stories for Disney Comic books and children's books.

I'll need to work till I die, and don't know when I'll want t stop writing and drawing for earning money, to concentrate on writing a book about Soul Music, or record collecting, or my life, - which would certainly stand no chance of earning a living [[although there would be some funny tidbits, like when Steve Propes and I used to fight over records in thrift stores, when he had a pie delivery route, and used to bribe the thrift store workers with pies to get them to hold out the newly-arrived records for HIM to get the "first look".).
    Last edited by robb_k; 11-18-2014 at 02:01 AM.

Great news Robb. You have your first sales of your books about soul music, your life and record collecting. I had no idea of your writing talents. I find that your knowledge and anecdotes that you offer on this forum to be the most interesting of all. Thank you, congratulations and keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_os_product
    Found for $11.74 on Amazon today through third party seller ImportCDs