[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New Motown CD from Ace: Satisfaction Is Guaranteed!

Ace Records is pleased to announce that "Satisfaction Is Guaranteed! - Motown Guys 1961-1969" will be released at the end of October. To celebrate this lucky 13th Ace/Motown CD [[as always, authorised by Universal Music), for the first time ever the set will consist entirely of tracks never released before on either vinyl or CD - as follows:

Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers - Satisfaction Is Guaranteed [[1968)
    Marv Johnson - Safety Zone [[1965)
    Johnny Bristol - Tell Me How To Forget A True Love [[1964)
    The Hit Pack - Show Me You Can Dance [[1965)
    Edwin Starr - The Sound Of Love [[1969)
    The Spinners - Hold On To Me [[A Little Longer)[[1968)
    Smokey Robinson & the Miracles - Baby You Got The Key [[1966)
    Chuck Jackson - Where Did You Go [[1967)
    Frank Wilson - Together 'Til The End Of Time [[1965)
    Ivy Jo - Just Your Love [[1965)
    The Fantastic Four - I Wanna Say I Love You [[1969)
    Jimmy Ruffin - [[Loneliness Made Me Realize) It's You That I Need [[1965)
    Freddie Gorman - I'm Gonna Make It To The Top [[1963)
    Bruce Channel - I Wanted To Cry [[1963)
    Marvin Gaye - Mojo Hannah [[1963)
    Shorty Long - Headin' North [[1965)
    The Headliners - Only On The Weekend [[1965)
    The Temptations - He Who Picks A Rose [version 1] [[1963)
    Gino Parks - Taking Candy From A Baby [[1961)
    Jr. Walker & the All Stars - My Girl Annie[[1968)
    The Serenaders - Say, Say, Baby [[1963)
    The Contours - Claudia [alternate version] [[1961)
    The Quails - This Ole Heart [[1963)
    Four Tops - The Night We Called It A Day [[1963)
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 08-18-2014 at 05:06 AM. Reason: typo

There's a queue forming here, and everyone can just get in line behind me...

Looks like an interesting collection - pleased to see The Quails track given an outing at long last!

WOH.....what a tracklist..cant wait to hear the Chuck Jackson track.

I'm glad to see that Ace is back with a new release! It's been a long time. Their products are incredible!

Great news! The only downside to this announcement is that we'll have to wait until the end of October to get it [[more than likely early November here in the States).

Well done to all concerned..will be great I'm sure.

Wonderful news, and all unreleased on CD & vinyl. It's as good as a male "Cellarful of Motown"!

Huzzah! Well played Keith and everyone at Ace.

wow - that looks fantastic. A must!

honest man Guest
    WOWEE Can't wait especially for theseEdwin Starr - The Sound Of Love [[1969)
    The Spinners - Hold On To Me Chuck Jackson - Where Did You Go [[1967 )
    The Fantastic Four - I Wanna Say I Love You Jimmy Ruffin - [[Loneliness Made Me Realize) It's You That I Need [[1965
    Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers - Satisfaction Is Guaranteed [[1968 ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED BRING THIS TOGETHER,YOU ARE ALL STARTS CHEERS.

I'm with Honest Man on those mid-late 60s tracks. Great looking release just when I was craving more Motown unreleased.

Another wonderful offering from Keith and Co. Go Andy! But I`m more excited than you `cos I`m fizzing at the bung!

I trust the ladies of Motown will get equal billing at some point. I would LOVE a never-before-released all-female collection!

RossHolloway Guest
    Looks like a good collection and with a wide diversity of artist. Anyone else notice that there is no Stevie Wonder on this collection?

Fantastic news, Mr. Hughes.
    I especially appreciate that some of the 'previously only available as download' tracks are getting an official cd release.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Another wonderful offering from Keith and Co. Go Andy! But I`m more excited than you `cos I`m fizzing at the bung!
    Ha Roger i thought you would be the reason i left Fizzing Bungs etc to you,How are you mate,great news a'int it,cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Looks like a good collection and with a wide diversity of artist. Anyone else notice that there is no Stevie Wonder on this collection?
    We had a fine Stevie Wonder track lined up for the album, then we heard it would [[probably) be coming out later this year. So the Edwin song was a last-minute - but very worthy - substitution. Just one of the many reasons why this project has taken a long time to reach the pre-release announcement stage.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    We had a fine Stevie Wonder track lined up for the album, then we heard it would [[probably) be coming out later this year.
    Come out... as in physical release? U.S., U.K. or some other part of the world.

RossHolloway Guest
    We had a fine Stevie Wonder track lined up for the album, then we heard it would [[probably) be coming out later this year. So the Edwin song was a last-minute - but very worthy - substitution. Just one of the many reasons why this project has taken a long time to reach the pre-release announcement stage.
    Thanks for the response. Did you get to select the songs or was a list of potential songs just given to you without listening to them first?

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I trust the ladies of Motown will get equal billing at some point. I would LOVE a never-before-released all-female collection!
    I'll buy anything Motown related - I even bought the "Funny Girl" download after being sure I wouldn't bother - but I think the guys have definitely been underrepresented in the releases so I'd love more of the male groups. Still would love to see more of the Temptations, Fantastic 4, etc., oh well don't get me started!

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    We were treated to the ladies first. Did you miss out on this release?

http://www.amazon.com/Finders-Keeper...86ATDW38ZFZF80

We were treated to the ladies first. Did you miss out on this release?

http://www.amazon.com/Finders-Keeper...86ATDW38ZFZF80
    I think he wasn't considering that release because it included some previously released material.

And earlier this year, Keith Hughes did mention a previously unreleased version of a Motown song by a MOR female artist that would fit well on A Motown Girls Vol 2 set....so perhaps if it happens, it might contain all previously unreleased on lp/cd tracks.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I think he wasn't considering that release because it included some previously released material.
    Understood, but this new release has at least three tracks [[Contours, Temps and Marvin Gaye) that in one version or another have been released before as well.

Thanks for the response. Did you get to select the songs or was a list of potential songs just given to you without listening to them first?
    Mick Patrick [[my co-producer) and I listened to quite a lot of possibilities, and made our choice of what we felt were the best. But we also felt that we didn't want to include more than one track by any artist, which made it hard in a couple of cases!

RossHolloway Guest
    [QUOTE=keith_hughes;247101]Mick Patrick [[my co-producer) and I listened to quite a lot of possibilities, and made our choice of what we felt were the best. But we also felt that we didn't want to include more than one track by any artist, which made it hard in a couple of cases![/QUOT

Sounds like a dream assignment. Were there any songs that just blew you away, or songs that you wanted to use but just didn't have space for?

The title track was practically self-selecting. Personally, discovering an out-take from "Away We A Go-Go" was the biggest pleasure. Some of the tracks - the Quails, Andre Williams and the Serenaders - have been circulating on tapes and bootlegs for so long in awful lo-fi we thought we owed it to collectors to give them decent versions. Yes, we probably heard enough we thought was good to warrant a double-CD, but look how long it took to clear just 24 tracks!

I love the cover pic we selected, and will post as soon as our designer has sprinkled her magic dust on it.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Wonderful news, and all unreleased on CD & vinyl. It's as good as a male "Cellarful of Motown"!
    As they say in France when hearing news such as this....OUI!!!!!!

Question for Keith - Is the Chuck Jackson track 'Where Did You Go' a cover of the Four Tops song? I really hope so. It's one of my all time fave Motown tracks.

yes, it's that song LDL

Hey, this is a wonderful release and as friends, we are also grateful to you. Not to be greedy, I recall some of your earlier posts had indicated that two CDs were coming soon -- one with mostly unreleased material and another that was half-and-half. Is there something else in the pipeline?

If I remember correctly, the half & half was mentioned as coming first hence The Contours- "Just A Little Misunderstanding" must be it; the 100% unreleased on vinyl or cd was to follow and is Motown Guys "Satisfaction Is Guaranteed"

Yes, you remember correctly [[as always), CC! Wish I could tell you more about future releases, but I've explained the "rules" before ... if the plan for putting out the Stevie Wonder track I referred to above becomes a reality, I'll point to it when the release gets announced!

But I can certainly confirm that there are other things in the pipeline, longtimefan.

I have every Ace/Kent Motown release so far and will support all and any future releases...they simply blow me away with every new release...the quality of these cds is superb and a Motowners dream.

Thanks for the quick feedback, Carole and Keith! We all look forward to Ace releases!

yes, it's that song LDL
    Great! The CD will be worth the price for this track alone for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    I have every Ace/Kent Motown release so far and will support all and any future releases...they simply blow me away with every new release...the quality of these cds is superb and a Motowners dream.
    I certainly second that. As a Motown fan who was buying the singles and albums from '61 onwards, it is like a dream to be getting all this wonderful stuff in 2014. [[Glad I stuck around) Spinning The Contours latest one right now.
    Dennis is awesome on "It's Growing" I wonder if this was his Tempts audition?

Almost!

The listing is now up at the Ace website. But still no cover photo...........

RossHolloway Guest
    I also notice that there were no tracks from 1962 included. Curious..

The title track was practically self-selecting. Personally, discovering an out-take from "Away We A Go-Go" was the biggest pleasure. Some of the tracks - the Quails, Andre Williams and the Serenaders - have been circulating on tapes and bootlegs for so long in awful lo-fi we thought we owed it to collectors to give them decent versions. Yes, we probably heard enough we thought was good to warrant a double-CD, but look how long it took to clear just 24 tracks!

I love the cover pic we selected, and will post as soon as our designer has sprinkled her magic dust on it.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1318
Size:  21.1 KB
    I know THAT feeling very well!

762rob: I've read that Dennis did Lou Rawls' Love Is A Hurtin Thing for his audition. later it was on the Cloud Nine album, but with the leads swapped between Melvin, Eddie and Dennis

Great choice!

Last edited by carole cucumber; 09-03-2014 at 01:52 PM.

Can't wait for October; I'm wishing my life away.

Just a thought: I wonder how the sequencing will stand up for playing the CD in one go as most of the later tracks are at the beginning and the earlier tracks at the end.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Great choice!

Thank You Carole you always deliver the goods.PLEASE DON'T TAKE THIS AS UNAPPRECIATIVE But why not put songs in recording order as with sleeve info would be so much better to follow .i was only thinking this today while playing Contours - Dennis set .Gang you are doing an amazing job and i appreciate everything you put out especially the older im getting[Thank God]. cheers lovely people.

honest man Guest
    Love the cover by the way.

Good to see it's gone down in price since I pre-orded it was originally £15.19.

Great cover!

Wonder if Ace could revive "A Cellarful Of Motown"? They seem to be able to come up with plenty of unreleased material.