[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson Onstage Last Night!

Reflections-Mary Wilson-Cleveland Ohio Cancer Research Associates benefit 8/15/14

Here's another clip from the show:

Very nice postings, Marv. Thanks very much.

Mary continues to do something very interesting. Some of the Supremes' tunes that are so well-known by the public and that she has the audience join her on stage for she does with great care to the arrangements and tempos of the original recordings--such as BABY LOVE & STOP! And it works extremely well--it recalls the past while adding a new touch to it with Mary on lead.

In the REFLECTIONS clip [[and I've also heard elsewhere in her MY WORLD IS EMPTY rendition), she does something risky--she has stylized her delivery and made it very personal. And all to beautiful effect. She brings something very fresh and dramatic to the music, and it's a joy to hear.

Diana was an astounding lead singer for the group and her voice was remarkably identifiable for the group's sound and highly instrumental in its success. She's a great favorite of mine. But the songs belonged to the entire group. And hearing Mary's take on them--as she does here on REFLECTIONS--has become very meaningful and rewarding. It is a real treat to see and hear her perform. It's always been that.

i must say Methuselah,i agree with u 100%,I love what Mary has done to those Supreme classic's,she has put he own touch to them,love it,and thanks Marv for postin' this.

Mary's rapport with her audience, especially in a club setting, is one of her great strengths.

Rather than being a "singer's singer," she is a song stylist and brings her own personal coloring to her material. I prefer to see her doing non-Supremes material but of course she has to touch on those songs. Even in her Up-Close act she includes "My World is Empty Without You," segueing into it from "Fever," which, oddly enough, works beautifully.
    Last edited by BigAl; 08-18-2014 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Mary's rapport with her audience, especially in a club setting, is one of her great strengths.

Rather than being a "singer's singer," she is a song stylist and brings her own personal coloring to her material. I prefer to see her doing non-Supremes material but of course she has to touch on those songs. Even in her Up-Close act she includes "My World is Empty Without You," segueing into it from "Fever," which, oddly enough, works beautifully.
    I really enjoy Mary singing My World! I saw her sing it a few years ago without the music and she could really blow without "whaling-oversinging". Ms. Payne also does a great job on the same song. I do understand your point of singing non-Supremes songs. I am not saying that I dislike her singing them. I like to hear her sing the jazz type stuff. However, i wish she would do more of the 70's hits.

Thanks again Marv for posting this great performance.

You are most welcome. Yes, no one does "My World Is Empty Without You" like Mary. She delivers it in a bluesy, jazzy while sticking to the original "Motown Sound" in terms of instrumentation, arrangement. I love her singing of "Come See About Me" as well.

Mary put on an awesome show. The crowd LOVED her! Ever the professional, she continued to perform without missing a beat even when she sprayed her toes that morning.

I think Mary Wilson is an American Treasure!

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Mary put on an awesome show. The crowd LOVED her! Ever the professional, she continued to perform without missing a beat even when she sprayed her toes that morning.
    What happened to Marys feet and toes bradsupremes? Mary Wilson is a gorgeos woman with the sexiest chin and most beautifull feet is showbusiness. I hope shes okay?

Roberta

Although she is looking her usual hot self, I can tell Mary has a bit of a cold [[along with an injured foot Brad mentioned) she still always puts on a great show no matter what!

Wow! Mary works the heck out of these standards!

heard her do floy joy and Nathan jones and nailed both of them, wish she would keep them in the show. wouldn't mind hearing automatically sunshine .

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    heard her do floy joy and Nathan jones and nailed both of them, wish she would keep them in the show. wouldn't mind hearing automatically sunshine .
    I wish she would do a 70s reunion even if there is no 60s reunion first. I can understand her reasoning for not doing the 70s first per the Scherrie/Susaye interview in Daeida, but I just played all the 70s Supremes 45s in order last night for some reason and what a fantastic body of work!

She announced in Atlantic City concert Sun night that she broke her toe in the shower.

smark21 Guest
    I really like that performance of Reflections; you can tell she's going deep into the lyrics to tell the story of the song and her story within the song.

LadyLola Guest
    Wonderful!