[REMOVE ADS]

JMC/IT'S TIME TO BREAK DOWN - LIVE? Someone Recently Wondered If It Existed. It Does.

Written by Ellen Hendley & Frank Wilson

This performance is from 1971:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg81hDv-AuM

Note: A bit of STONED LOVE turns up in the middle of the number--just briefly; then BREAK continues.

Thanks to SOUTHLGIRL for this YouTube posting.

I saw that one night 43 years ago on the Flip Wilson Show. I've had it on video tape for about 25 years.

ITTBD is one great song!

Like the song.....but, not the aerobics class choreography so much.

thought this was one of their best 70s performances

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    thought this was one of their best 70s performances
    This is one of their all time best performances in my opinion. They even "borrowed" the opening part of this performance for the Broadway production of "Dreamgirls".

you didnt like the high stepping they did when they walked on stage? lol

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This is one of their all time best performances in my opinion. They even "borrowed" the opening part of this performance for the Broadway production of "Dreamgirls".
    Oh that opening is so melodramatic especially when they spin like lamp shades. That track is so superior that ittbd found its way as a sample when gangsta starr sample it with a track called jfk to lax
    utube/Gangstastarrjfktolax be warned the rappping has explicit lyrics.
    Last edited by franjoy56; 08-16-2014 at 11:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    Oh that opening is so melodramatic especially when they spin like lamp shades. That track is so superior that ittbd found its way as a sample when gangsta starr sample it with a track called jfk to lax
    utube/Gangstastarrjfktolax be warned the rappping has explicit lyrics.
    Fran, that performance made such an impact, that I heard it discussed as late as 2000 on KISS-FM New York by a couple of the DJ's.

Fran, here it is! That performance the Supremes did on Flip Wilson got talked about a lot at the time:

Fran, here it is! That performance the Supremes did on Flip Wilson got talked about a lot at the time:

that is some heavy rapping, I wonder how jean t felt about having her voice sampled used on this track esp. Since she is a jehovahs witness.were the supremes or motown paid for this sample use. Im not too familiar with the legal $ ues but its time to break down edited would have been a great follow up to stoned love.
    Last edited by franjoy56; 08-17-2014 at 12:58 AM.

I wonder if ITTBD was being considered for single release for the girls to do this song. This would have been a good opening number for their concerts.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I wonder if ITTBD was being considered for single release for the girls to do this song. This would have been a good opening number for their concerts.
    I totally agree just as it was performed on flip with some minor changes, keeping jean out of t dance routine and more to t forefront

Does anyone know: was this Supremes performance of "It's Time to Break Down" from the SAME Flip Wilson episode that features them singing "We've Only Just Begun"?

The reason I ask is; their stage wear seems almosty exactly the same. If it was from the episiode, it's odd that they would wear two sets of costumes that look so similar.

I always thought it was the same show. The only difference is Cindy changed her wig. They are wearing the same jumpsuits. The jumpsuits had coats that could be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I always thought it was the same show. The only difference is Cindy changed her wig. They are wearing the same jumpsuits. The jumpsuits had coats that could be removed.
    The 70s supremes were on the flip wilson show 3 times as far as I know.
    The first episode is the one about jan 71 Its time to break down stoned love medley we only just begun and the comedy skit with david steinberg in the dept store
    The next episode came when they sang love the one ur with, and did a comedy kissing scene with flip to the annoyance of david frost in late 71
    The last performance came in 72 when they performed your wonderrful sweet sweet love with lynda now in the group and a great comedy skit the best one called soul rent your wheels with mary as the mechanic, lynda as the french maid, and jean as the rental agent.
    If there were more im not aware of any.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Thanks bradS. The footage I've always seen has been pretty grainy and my eyes aren't what they used to be. I almost dared to say they were the same outfits, but clearly there was some sort of fringe overlay that was removed [[or added.)

Interesting then that they wouldn't change costumes at all.....

The first episode is the one about jan 71 Its time to break down stoned love medley we only just begun and the comedy skit with david steinberg in the dept store
    The next episode came when they sang love the one ur with, and did a comedy kissing scene with flip to the annoyance of david frost in late 71
    The last performance came in 72 when they performed your wonderrful sweet sweet love with lynda now in the group and a great comedy skit the best one called soul rent your wheels with mary as the mechanic, lynda as the french maid, and jean as the rental agent.
    They sang LEAN ON ME on one episode as well. A short clip of it used to be on YouTube. I think it might have been part of the 1972 appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    They sang LEAN ON ME on one episode as well. A short clip of it used to be on YouTube. I think it might have been part of the 1972 appearance.
    They sang "Lean On Me" on the same show they did "Your Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love" live in 1972.

They sang "Lean On Me" on the same show they did "Your Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love" live in 1972.
    I forgot about that one they cut it when they rebroadcast that episode on tvone. Marv do u have the comedy skit the supremes did soul rent your wheels with ruth buzzi I think some of the new fans would love it

I forgot about that one they cut it when they rebroadcast that episode on tvone. Marv do u have the comedy skit the supremes did soul rent your wheels with ruth buzzi I think some of the new fans would love it
    Fran, yeah I have that skit....."bonjour monsieur- Lynda the French maid from the "South" of France! LOL

I don't remember them singing "Touch" on the Flip Wilson Show.

Ok let me back up. They may have sung "Touch" on the episode with David Frost. I do remember now that David played a guy trying to sell a haunted castle and Cindy Birdsong played the sexy ghost to lure Flip up the stairs LOL!

I don't remember them singing "Touch" on the Flip Wilson Show.
    they did sing touch . as you know when they rebrocast these shows, they cut out certain scenes

i thought the comedy sketch was that they were 3 secret agents

supremester Guest
    It's lovely to see this again, but I have to ask what on earth were they doing? The choreography is SO inappropriate for the song - there's no focus or feeling for the lyric or mood while all three are doing kicks. SMH. WAY too busy - especially with the beads and flares. They look great - vocals are spot on, but there's so little focus on musical content.
    I think there's a possible 45 in ITTBD with a totally revamped edit and maybe another chorus, but I think they were wise to stick with a sure shot like Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    they did sing touch . as you know when they rebrocast these shows, they cut out certain scenes
    I just meant I do not remember it. It has been over 40 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    i thought the comedy sketch was that they were 3 secret agents
    They did that skit and they did the skit where David Frost was a guy trying to sell a haunted castle. Cindy Birdsong was the only one from the group to participate in this skit where she played a sexy ghost enticing Flip up the stairs.

supremester Guest
    I recall them doing Touch on Flip - it was the first time I saw it on TV. I don't recall if it was live or lipped like this medley of ITTBD and Stoned Love is. I wish they'd edit out Jean's lip sync mistakes on here and like on Ross' YKMHO flub on Hollywood Palace. They weren't live, so it could have been done.