[REMOVE ADS]

Quincey Jones - His Classic Works................."and Stuff Like That!"

I don't really recall if we've ever discussed the works of Quincy Jones ever here! What are some of your favorite works by Q? Here's one of mine.......From 1978, "Stuff Like That"

Definitely!

Off The Wall, Thriller, The Wiz [[Original Movie Soundtrack), Mellow Madness, Body Heat & Masterjam.
    Last edited by Ryon6; 08-15-2014 at 10:58 PM.

We were groovin' 40 years ago, around this time to "Body Heat"...........

Between Benard Ighner's vocals and the orchestration, Everything Must Change is by far my favorite QJ recording. Back in my "get high days", I used to feel like I literally rode on every note played by the brass instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I don't really recall if we've ever discussed the works of Quincy Jones ever here! What are some of your favorite works by Q? Here's one of mine.......From 1978, "Stuff Like That"
    You know, I never got past the first side of this album. I'm not sure why.

But, my favorite "Q" album is "Mellow Madness", which is essentially the Brothers Johnson's actual first album, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by nabob View Post
    Between Benard Ighner's vocals and the orchestration, Everything Must Change is by far my favorite QJ recording. Back in my "get high days", I used to feel like I literally rode on every note played by the brass instruments.

"Everything Must Change" we considered a masterpiece! It was used for several school ceremonies back in the day.

Now moving up from Jr. High/HS, the Quincy Jones album that was very popular during my college years was.................."The Dude"!

Another favorite cut from "The Dude" is "Betcha Wouldn't Hurt Me"

Don't forget the Color Purple OST and his productions on the Brothers Johson.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Don't forget the Color Purple OST and his productions on the Brothers Johson.
    Loved Q's work with the Brother's Johnson. He even helped Leslie Gore get a few memorable hits:

Maybe you know that this is also some of Quincy's work!

Going back to the Sounds And Stuff Like That album, I have always liked the track Tell Me A Bedtime Story. As I recall, there was a lengthy explanation on the original vinyl album about multi-tracking the violin solo. But I still never tire of listening to it.

Just so mellow.........."Tell Me A Bedtime Story"

I almost sounds like something Bob James would do.

Another personal favorite of mine is "Killer Joe" from 1969's "Walking in Space" album.

Maybe you know that this is also some of Quincy's work!

Oh yeah! That's very true! And, did you know that Bruce Swedien was also Quincy's engineer in those days too? "Q" was also the A&R director, and later a VP of Mercury Records in the 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Oh yeah! That's very true! And, did you know that Bruce Swedien was also Quincy's engineer in those days too? "Q" was also the A&R director, and later a VP of Mercury Records in the 60s.
    I knew he was VP of Mercury Records for years. I did not know that Bruce Swedien was working with Quincy that far back.

My absolute favorite Quincy Jones work is the OST from TV eerie "Roots" where we can heard a church organ and a chorus singing "Come By Here Lord" that electrifies totally your body! Appart from the solo vocals by Letta Mbulu.

Mellow Madness, his cover of Edwin Hawkin's "Oh Happy Day", Ai No Corrida, Velas and one I hear many times last days, "Hikky Burr", very funny... made me laugh the crazy intro,... the vocals on the title track from "The Dude" by Patti Austin,... a song that appears on the B side of the spanish A & M "Ai NO Corrida" single, called something like "Slow Train" [[??), very mellow and good vocals. and, of course... "Soul Bossa Nova"!!

Quote Originally Posted by manny View Post
    My absolute favorite Quincy Jones work is the OST from TV eerie "Roots" where we can heard a church organ and a chorus singing "Come By Here Lord" that electrifies totally your body! Appart from the solo vocals by Letta Mbulu.

Mellow Madness, his cover of Edwin Hawkin's "Oh Happy Day", Ai No Corrida, Velas and one I hear many times last days, "Hikky Burr", very funny... made me laugh the crazy intro,... the vocals on the title track from "The Dude" by Patti Austin,... a song that appears on the B side of the spanish A & M "Ai NO Corrida" single, called something like "Slow Train" [[??), very mellow and good vocals. and, of course... "Soul Bossa Nova"!!
    Manny, I loved "Soul Bossa Nova" and I remember Quincy's version of "Oh Happy Day". I must get his box set!

Boogie Joe The Grinder. Top class funk.

Damn, I don't seem t be able to post the video. Here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC0vItdI_2o
    Last edited by Cosmic Truth; 08-23-2014 at 01:37 PM.

Now moving up from Jr. High/HS, the Quincy Jones album that was very popular during my college years was.................."The Dude"!

WHOA Marv, had to get up and dance on this one...WHAT A F@!%KIN JAM...Hadn't heard this one in years ...you done started sumthin dude

Another favorite with Leon Ware, Minnie Ripperton & Al Jarreau

And of course Luther & Patti

Oh, you've hit the Mother lode! Body Heat? Not the best LP of its genre ever? Other belters are.......Themes from Ironside,Streets of SanFrancisco, Mr Tibbs comes to town [[might have the last one wrong) Anyway from Body Heat,Sounds and stuff like that, The Dude , Back on the block. Never mind The Brothers Johnson LPs and Chaka Khan. The blokes a genius. Thanks for this thread. I have Body Heat on often. I remember back to late 70's I had a stack of LPs in the middle of all this vinyl people picked out Body Heat!This is it,this is one of the best ever. I hadn't thought about it at that time.With 20/20 I have to agree!
    Last edited by tamla617; 08-24-2014 at 05:25 PM.

I don't know the rason why, but I have the same "feel" and consider they are a kind of "soul twins" when I heard Quincy Jones and Roy Ayers...

I almost sounds like something Bob James would do.
    Yep. For that album Quincy worked with a lot of New York players that played in that style and showed up on Bob James albums of the time...

Just so mellow.........."Tell Me A Bedtime Story"

IRC thats Herbie Hancock on the keyboard,great stuff and stuff like that!

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    WHOA Marv, had to get up and dance on this one...WHAT A F@!%KIN JAM...Hadn't heard this one in years ...you done started sumthin dude
    Glen! There was a time when all you needed was this album and you had a party! hehehehehehehehe........

Another groover produced by Quincey