[REMOVE ADS]

supremester Guest

The Mono Single Mix of Doobe Doodn Doobe........... FINALLY

I've only waited 43.5 years to hear this - and it's worth the wait. I know there are those who don't like this song for the obvious reason, but I think it's fab. Deke Richards is a hero of mine and this, to me, is a brilliant production. If had I been in charge of Miss Ross in 1970, this, [[with a 3:58 edit) would have been the follow up to [[the full length) I'm Still Waiting, which wooda gone out while ANMHE was still top ten. Then Remember Me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMphoxR1VZM

Well, it looks like you're going to have to wait another 43.5 years to hear a mono mix, the mix on that YouTube posting is stereo all day and all night! That's the same stereo mix that's on the album, except on the album the fade is a little later than on this YouTube posting. No shade, but where did you get the idea that this was a mono mix?

this song has held up better than I thought but it did seem to have a partridge family feel to it but this was very pop in 1970.
    my feelings on he song , I like Diana vocal but I would like a edit with all the DOOBEDOO stuff at the end and then fade out. I don't like it in the middle of the song. imo

supremester Guest
    I'll be over 100! I assumed it was the mono mix as it was from the single which was not stereo in the UK in '70 [[I thought) and the mix is so much more bombastic [[like I like) and the fade is different and the player I used to hear it was definitely reproducing it in mono. That being said, I'm not an audio expert about such things and if you are hearing stereo on your playback, I bow to your ear. It is still a different mix from the LP however.

And, don't worry about shade - I'm totally cool with being called out ifI'm incorrect about something. I want KNOW - my ego can take being wrong [[after all, I publicly declared Endless Love to be a flop.)
    Quote Originally Posted by brothadc View Post
    Well, it looks like you're going to have to wait another 43.5 years to hear a mono mix, the mix on that YouTube posting is stereo all day and all night! That's the same stereo mix that's on the album, except on the album the fade is a little later than on this YouTube posting. No shade, but where did you get the idea that this was a mono mix?

supremester Guest
    If I had a program to do editing, I'd post the killer 3:51 radio edit in my head. Funny that you should mention The Partridge Family as both records launched in Nov'70. Good ear!

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    this song has held up better than I thought but it did seem to have a partridge family feel to it but this was very pop in 1970.
    my feelings on he song , I like Diana vocal but I would like a edit with all the DOOBEDOO stuff at the end and then fade out. I don't like it in the middle of the song. imo

Supremester I always thought this song was going to be a hit it sounds like one you are right with the right edit it could have been a smash! Music is great Ross is in fine form vocally and the background singers are fab! This could have been a Diana Ross and the Supremes song with all the background going on. I dont see the Partridge Family thing except a little bit of Come On Get Happy. We have good ears here on the forum I noticed that the fade is not as long as the album you would hear Ross saying "I just started living" a little more towards the end.

I am a big fan of the great Deke Richards as well everything he has done with Miss Ross I adored. My favorite production of his is We Need You on the Touch Me in the Morning Album. He pushed her like Ashford and Simpson did. Deke is an unsung hero to me,

I think its that piano / organ intro....very 1970. I do like the backing vocals as well. and Diana. I also am fond of Dekes work. may he rest in peace

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I'll be over 100! I assumed it was the mono mix as it was from the single which was not stereo in the UK in '70 [[I thought) and the mix is so much more bombastic [[like I like) and the fade is different and the player I used to hear it was definitely reproducing it in mono. That being said, I'm not an audio expert about such things and if you are hearing stereo on your playback, I bow to your ear. It is still a different mix from the LP however.
    Supremester .. That you-tube video is most likely being played off the illustrated single as the 45 would have been in stereo. The way I can tell this is that the "small" version of the catalogue number [[on the left hand side of the 45 above the publishing date) is prefixed by the letter "Y" .. i.e. it is YTMG 812A. If it had been in mono it would have read TMG 812A.

I don't have the L.P. that contains the song, but judging from the comments on the thread it seems that the U.K. single was a slightly different edit from the L.P. version.

Roger ...

supremester Guest
    The UK mix is definitely stronger on this 45 than on the albums - I want this 45 for my juke box.

I've always liked this song, I don't make any apologies for it. I'm not even really much of a fan of solo Diana Ross if I'm honest, but I like this one!

I think it's extremely ambitious, a multi-part epic some prog rockers would be proud of, both transcending and embracing its early-Seventies pop fluff trappings, and it's also one of my favourite Diana Ross all-round "performances" [[as opposed to vocals, if you see what I mean). It was popular in its time, too, just missing the UK Top Ten on its single release in the summer of 1972.

If anyone wants a Tamla Motown 45 copy of this to call their own, the last one I saw on eBay ended on 99p with no bids...