[REMOVE ADS]

The emotions "unsung" episode airs tomorrow wed. Aug 13

I'M EXCITED!!!! Here's a clip of a sneak preview http://www.tvone.tv/shows/unsung/vid...to-leave-.html

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    I'M EXCITED!!!! Here's a clip of a sneak preview http://www.tvone.tv/shows/unsung/vid...to-leave-.html
    I'm with you, I can't wait either. i just hope their are live clips not on the internet and also hope that Jeanette and Theresa are featured.

I am looking forward to this too. These are my hometown ladies!

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Me too! I wonder if they will mention the musical play they wrote about their life. They were going to star in the production and take it on the road. I think it was called Bubble Gum or something like that.

I am very much looking forward to this episode!

Wow! Not getting paid for one of the biggest commercial records in your career must have really hurt. Not enough was said about why they finally realized that they were pawns in a bigger chess game. Was it Stax? Was it Columbia? Was it Kalimba/Maurice White? And though I owned and liked both "Flowers" and "Rejoice", after "Boogie Wonderland", I thought they had decided to focus on their personal lives since they had a spotty recording history.

Once again, bad deals and poor communication was nothing unique to any one group. In fact, its rare to find a recording entity that hasn't experience turbulence.

Shanice is so beautiful and talented.....she is definitely "Unsung" though some may think of her as a one hit wonder with "I Love Your Smile".
    Last edited by Bokiluis; 08-13-2014 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    Wow! Not getting paid for one of the biggest commercial records in your career must have really hurt. Not enough was said about why they finally realized that they were pawns in a bigger chess game. Was it Stax? Was it Columbia? Was it Kalimba/Maurice White? And though I owned and liked both "Flowers" and "Rejoice", after "Boogie Wonderland", I thought they had decided to focus on their personal lives since they had a spotty recording history.

Once again, bad deals and poor communication was nothing unique to any one group. In fact, its rare to find a recording entity that hasn't experience turbulence.

Shanice is so beautiful and talented.....she is definitely "Unsung" though some may think of her as a one hit wonder with "I Love Your Smile".
    "Not getting paid for one of the biggest commercial records in your career" I'm not surprised as Philip Bailey revealed Maurice White financial dealings with EWF in his book "Shining Star."

I hope to be able to see this this weekend so I hope people don't over post too much
    info in this thread. I loved this group from day one. I was a bit surprised at some of the things Phillip revealed in his book about Maurice's dealings, nysister, as I'm sure many
    were. Fans of any group only see the tip of the iceberg about their experiences, I constantly
    am reminded...

I really enjoyed this episode. It was nice to have an in-depth look at the group.

It was good but not really in depth imo.They didn't touch on Wattstax but I do realize it was only an hour show It was great exposure though. It was great seeing the ladies especially Teresa and Jeanette in action. I don't know why more clips have not surfaced, most of them I only saw once at the original airing. I used to watch Jubilee Showcase on Sunday Morning and of course the original local Soul Train and not to jump topics I loved The Barrett Sisters. They were another Chicago sanging sister gospel trio who were also regulars on Jubilee Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by soulballad View Post
    It was good but not really in depth imo.They didn't touch on Wattstax but I do realize it was only an hour show It was great exposure though. It was great seeing the ladies especially Teresa and Jeanette in action. I don't know why more clips have not surfaced, most of them I only saw once at the original airing. I used to watch Jubilee Showcase on Sunday Morning and of course the original local Soul Train and not to jump topics I loved The Barrett Sisters. They were another Chicago sanging sister gospel trio who were also regulars on Jubilee Showcase
    The Barrett Sisters.......yes LAWD!

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I hope to be able to see this this weekend so I hope people don't over post too much
    info in this thread. I loved this group from day one. I was a bit surprised at some of the things Phillip revealed in his book about Maurice's dealings, nysister, as I'm sure many
    were. Fans of any group only see the tip of the iceberg about their experiences, I constantly
    am reminded...
    i wasn't even aware that Phillip Bailey had written a book. I naively thought that Maurice White was a fairly straightforward player. I actually got into Earth, Wind & Fire on their first 2 Warner Bros. albums. The bigger they became, the less connected I was to them. Perceptions can often be misleading. It was pretty disheartening to hear that The Emotions didn't get a fair deal.

Great episode. The things we never knew or know. I had no idea that they went through so much stuff. I really enjoyed listening to Theresa Davis. She was definitely a perfect fit.

Got to get a copy of Philip's book.

Just a few things left out was their time with Twinstacks Records before Stax [[they had a few 45's from 1967-69) and the notorious Sunshine Album that was recorded during the Theresa era but was released in 1977 after they had hit it big with Flowers and Rejoice. This was a huge deal because they felt it was taking away fire from their current releases. Again I know it was only an hour but I think these two things were major. Perhaps it was edited out who knows?
    Last edited by soulballad; 08-15-2014 at 03:15 PM.

Just a few things left out was their time with Twinstacks Records before Stax [[they had a few 45's from 1967-69) and the notorious Sunshine Album that was recorded during the Theresa era but was released in 1977 after they had hit it big with Flowers and Rejoice. This was a huge deal because they felt it was taking away fire from their current releases. Again I know it was only an hour but I think these two things were major. Perhaps it was edited out who knows?
    I remember SUNSHINE being promoted as a new album, with radio ads and such. It wasn't until I saw the album in a store that I realized that it was on Stax and old material.

You are right. So much left out. They didn't mention the tours with the Commodores or the Brothers Johnson nor did they mention how Smile was an R&B hit but did not chart well if at all on the pop charts. They didn't mention all four sisters touring at one time or who recorded on what albums. They mention Jeanette being in and out of the group but there was no mention of Sheila taking a break from the act. I would like to know about some of the technical stuff like what part did each sister sing on certain songs and how they came up with the intricate harmonies. They also did not mention the Live cd from 96.

I love the live in 96 Disc!

One of their last big radio cuts was "Walking The Line" I heard this a lot perhaps because I was in their home town. I guess it was just a local thing. The harmonies were superb on this as always! The Hutchison Sunbeam album got many spins in my house. Wow that was a good Music year Rose Royce"love don't Live here anymore", The Sylvers Forever Yours, Oh the memories. I think this is the album that "Boogie Wonderland" should have been on. Great album I think it charted on the soul/R&B side.

Last edited by soulballad; 08-15-2014 at 07:34 PM.

No, it wasn't just a local thing as far as Walking The Line was concerned. That track I know
    I heard from Columbia , SC to Savannah, Georgia and I'm sure it tore up earholes elsewhere.
    It was beautiful, sweet and had a stank on it that harked back to their Stax days. I could hear
    the Barkays playing that rhythm backing it as easily as the musicians featured...