[REMOVE ADS]

70s Sups Greatest Hits Rare Classics - reposting old thread

i've been digging around in my cds and ran across this one, which made me do a search on here and pull up an old thread. thank goodness for George, harry and Andy - they've done so much to keep the legacy alive and unearth treasures from the vault. now i have a question for Andy:

did you find the alt lead version to It's All Been Said Before that George mentions? shame it didn't make it onto the Let Yourself Go set. or [[and no discredit to George) was he perhaps getting it mixed up with You Can't Stop a Girl and the totally different track there?

here's the old thread from George:

I pitched the idea of Greatest Hits and Rare Classics to be collections of hits, unreleased and rare tracks from artists that didn’t have a CD compilation on the market. My main interest was releasing a great compilation on the 70’s Supremes. I got approval to go ahead with each CD except The Supremes. I was told that they didn’t feel there was enough sales potential in the 70’s group and we would just do a straight reissue of the 10 song vinyl collection, “At Their Best”. After much pleading on my part I finally got a green light on the 70’s group. With each CD, I was told I could have only two photos and no liner notes. [[I was eventually allowed one paragraph per CD).
    The first 3 to be mastered were Brenda Holloway, Kim Weston and The Supremes. [[All containing several songs from the vaults) As we were finishing the Supremes master, a memo was issued stating that NO UNRELEASED MATERIAL COULD BE ISSUED. I was told the finished masters had to be scrapped and we could only proceed with the remaining artists using only released material. Once again, I lost my Supremes collection. Again, I pleaded, if I could re-master the CD’s in ONE DAY replacing the unreleased tracks with other rarities could we proceed? [[I believe, I was on my knees at the time.) The results are the released CD’s. With the Supremes, I had such a hard time choosing tracks that I varied the CD and the cassette. This wasn’t a ploy to make people have to buy both. It was for the fans who would WANT to have both. The casual buyer wouldn’t care as long as they got the hits they wanted. As with every collection many fans questioned the track list. Remember, that “Right On” “Touch” and “Floy Joy” were already issued on CD and I just got approval to do “New Ways”, so I used very few tracks from those LP’s. I got a definite “no” on Jimmy Webb and all of the remaining albums [[with the exception of MAYBE “High Energy”). That is how I chose the tracks.
    I really liked this collection and I’d like to thank everyone for the mostly very positive feedback. And by the way, The Supremes and Rare Earth were the biggest sellers in the whole series.

If you care, here is the original track list for the Supremes master that still sits in the Motown vaults.

Original Greatest Hits and Rare Classics
    All tracks or mixes available on CD for the first time [[1991)

Up the Ladder [[mono mix)
    Life Beats [[mono mix) *
    Everybody’s Got The Right [[alt vocal mono mix) *
    Stoned Love [[mono mix)
    Nathan Jones [[mono mix)
    If I Were Your Woman *
    Floy Joy [[unedited) *
    Automatically Sunshine [[alternate) *
    Remote Control *
    Make It With You *
    Never Can Say Goodbye *
    Tossin' & Turnin' [[edit) *
    Paradise *
    Love Train [[remix) *
    Bad Weather [[ext fade) *
    I Had To Fall In Love [[edit)-Jean *
    The Shoop Shoop Song *
    The Sha La Bandit [[alternate) *
    Bend A Little *
    I’m Gonna Let My Heart [[alternate) *
    You’re My Driving Wheel [[alt edit) *
    Another Life From Now-Scherrie
    You Danced My Heart Around The Stars-Mary *

• unreleased track or mix

Thanks for caring – George Solomon

Hi guys,

I emailed George again, [[who is on a cruise in Hawaii, and therefore not able to respond on the site in a timely manner). Again, his response is below. Many of the cassette versions were used on other collections since, because we knew the cassette would become more of a rarity as time goes on. One of the items he didn't mention is the extended "Floy Joy," from the cassette edition which we used on the Supremes 40th Anniversary Box Set.

I would like to add one final thought, the people George worked with at Motown back then are not the same people Harry or myself work with today.

and now, FROM GEORGE SOLOMON:
    Here are the tracks that were different on the Greatest Hits and Rare Classics cassette.

EVERYBODY'S GOT THE RIGHT TO LOVE - The CD had an alternate mono mix with a completely different lead vocal by Jean. The cassette version had yet another mono mix with the released vocal. The cassette version can now be found on "The Supremes 70's Anthology". I feel both of these mono single mixes were superior to the one that was released. This record could have been much bigger.
    There is still yet another mono single mix of this song in the vaults that combines both of Jean's vocals.

TOUCH - The cassette included an alternate mono single mix. Listen for Cindy's alternate "Oh baby" after the first verse. Also, Cindy's "Talk to me, talk to me" was eliminated from this mix and Jean's vocal was punched out at the fade. This mix is still unavailable any place else. I personally didn't like any of the mono single mixes of "Touch". This was another great record that I think failed because of an inferior single mix and edit.

AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE - I believe I used the released LP mix on the cassette. The CD had an alternate mono extended mix. The full stereo alternate mix can be found on "The 70's Anthology".

IT'S ALL BEEN SAID BEFORE & WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE - Both were on the cassette but not on the CD. Both were the LP mixes. The single mix of "Where Do I Go From Here" is still unavailable on CD and there is an alternate lead vocal by Scherrie on "It's All Been Said Before" still in the vaults.

HIGH ENERGY - This was a single edit of a mix that eventually came out in its entirety on "The 70's Anthology". The original lead vocal by Scherrie is still unreleased.

YOU'RE MY DRIVING WHEEL - I used the alternate promo lead vocal, which has since come out on CD on the Supremes Box and The Supremes Gold.

LET YOURSELF GO - This was an alternate [[and in my opinion) much better single edit than the released version.

FLY - Scherrie's solo single wasn't included on the CD. Instead I used "Another Life From Now".

I still stand by my decision to vary the CD and cassette and I think most of the fans were happy about it. The Motown execs were not! Even though they signed off on both versions [[I couldn't get anything released without a signature on the track list) they became upset when some retailers complained about the differences. I wasn't "fired" because I was never officially a Motown employee but in truth it did compromise my position. It was very difficult in the early 90's. [[I think Andy would agree it's still often difficult) to get things done exactly the way you know they should be.

One funny story....I produced a "Best Of The Supremes & 4 Tops" CD. When I went to approve the artwork I found a picture of Diana Ross & The Supremes and The Temptations on the cover. [[It was the back photo of TCB) When I gently pointed out that not only was it the wrong group of Supremes but the wrong male group all together, I was told that I was being overly picky and no one would notice that but me! Ultimately, I got it changed, but these are the little "challenges" that came up constantly. So, even today when you see these little mistakes on the reissue's you better believe that it wasn't Andy, Harry or myself being negligent. Sometimes these things just slip through the cracks and we get as frustrated as you do. I'm just really very happy that there is still an audience for these wonderful recordings and there are still great releases yet to come!

I always have enjoyed these informative type of posts. We have all learned so much over the years on SDF about the music we enjoy -- things we would NEVER have known! Thanks for the reminder, sup fan!

Yes, thanks for reposting. Posts by George, Harry and Andy give us a glimpse into the behind the scenes decision making and the volatility in who the decision makers are.

Excellent post. Is there a definitive list of these CDs - Best Of/Greatest Hits & Rare Classics [[US versions)? Not sure about timing but another series - The Very Best Ofs seemed to perform a similar function [[but with fewer tracks - there was also a Brenda Holloway CD in this series too).

In the UK, the Spectrum label appeared to take the best elements of both series and add more tracks for a bargain price, plus also many more artist sets became available. What great CDs though. The US Thelma Houston set had a unique version of "I Want To Go Back There Again". Wonder if there were other different versions on US vs UK CDs.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post pics of example CD covers so I've opted not to.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 08-10-2014 at 02:28 PM.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Excellent post. Is there a definitive list of these CDs - Best Of/Greatest Hits & Rare Classics [[US versions)? Not sure about timing but another series - The Very Best Ofs seemed to perform a similar function [[but with fewer tracks - there was also a Brenda Holloway CD in this series too).

In the UK, the Spectrum label appeared to take the best elements of both series and add more tracks for a bargain price, plus also many more artist sets became available. What great CDs though. The US Thelma Houston set had a unique version of "I Want To Go Back There Again". Wonder if there were other different versions on US vs UK CDs.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post pics of example CD covers so I've opted not to.
    Right i know the Kim Weston cd in this series had a couple of songs that have not been included on later cds IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ME,for starters if i remember correct also Brenda's in this series has a few rare on it,can't remember top of my head.But i remember i was going to sell them a few years ago when bought anthologies then read some tracks did not appear on them,only on Rare Classics so i kept them, hope that makes sense,cheers.

the Greatest Hits and Rare Classics was a line in the early 90s. there was a 70 Sups, Brenda Holloway and Rare Earth. it was a blue background. not sure if all were cd and cassette or if the other groups got differing tracks on the two different formats.

then there was a green background and the Best Of series. this had best of 70s Sup & Four Top duets, Thelma Houston. not sure who else

Hey, I haven't checked here for a while but it seems timely. There is a second lead on "It's All Been Said Before" and there was a quick mix done back in the 70's. Unfortunately, the multi-tape is not in the Universal vaults so we couldn't do a new mix for THE FINAL SESSIONS. Also, in some cases a quick mix is made of an alternate vocal and then the master of that vocal is erased. This was the case with the alternate Scherrie vocal on "The Sha La Bandit." We couldn't find that vocal on the multi so in order to include it we had to use a mixed version from a cassette tape. The quality certainly isn't as good as the new mixes but we would have rather had it than not at all. Now, if I could only find that cassette of "It's All Been Said Before!" :-)

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    the Greatest Hits and Rare Classics was a line in the early 90s. there was a 70 Sups, Brenda Holloway and Rare Earth. it was a blue background. not sure if all were cd and cassette or if the other groups got differing tracks on the two different formats.

then there was a green background and the Best Of series. this had best of 70s Sup & Four Top duets, Thelma Houston. not sure who else
    Also add Kim Weston,Frankie Valli to list

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    Hey, I haven't checked here for a while but it seems timely. There is a second lead on "It's All Been Said Before" and there was a quick mix done back in the 70's. Unfortunately, the multi-tape is not in the Universal vaults so we couldn't do a new mix for THE FINAL SESSIONS. Also, in some cases a quick mix is made of an alternate vocal and then the master of that vocal is erased. This was the case with the alternate Scherrie vocal on "The Sha La Bandit." We couldn't find that vocal on the multi so in order to include it we had to use a mixed version from a cassette tape. The quality certainly isn't as good as the new mixes but we would have rather had it than not at all. Now, if I could only find that cassette of "It's All Been Said Before!" :-)
    Hi George,
    Are you involved with either the BABY IT'S ME or THE SUPREMES A GO GO projects?

Yes, and I'm really hoping we can make an announcement about them soon.

Yes, and I'm really hoping we can make an announcement about them soon.
    Oh, what a tease! I can NOT wait!

I've referenced this thread several times, and one thing I never caught, until now:

I got approval to go ahead with each CD except The Supremes. I was told that they didn’t feel there was enough sales potential in the 70’s group and we would just do a straight reissue of the 10 song vinyl collection, “At Their Best”.

The first 3 to be mastered were Brenda Holloway, Kim Weston and The Supremes.

Funny that the "powers that be" didn't think there was enough sales potential in the 70's Supremes, when the 70's Supremes clearly "outsold" Holloway and Weston COMBINED. I mean, "Stoned Love" ALONE probably outsold both artists. Well, that may be a stretch, but you all know what I mean.

Was there something "personal" about not releasing the 70's Supremes? Who was giving green [[and red) lights at the time?

I have a Jermaine Jackson CD
    that I think is from the same series, or is that a "normal' Best Of?

Jermaine was from the same series. The "Best Of's" really were the same series as well but I was told I was more limited with the number of tracks for those CD's. At the time the powers that be had nothing to do with the "original" Motown. Mr. Gordy wasn't involved. I honestly just think that the business men in charge had no idea that the Supremes without Diana Ross had any sales potential. I was happy that It was a sold VERY well. Supremes and Rare Earth were the most successful of the series.

Thanks for the reply George!

I was very happy with the Jermaine Jackson cd at that time because I believe this was the first time a best of his tracks was released.
    Last edited by jack020; 08-11-2014 at 02:00 AM.

At the time the powers that be had nothing to do with the "original" Motown. Mr. Gordy wasn't involved. I honestly just think that the business men in charge had no idea that the Supremes without Diana Ross had any sales potential. I was happy that It was a sold VERY well. Supremes and Rare Earth were the most successful of the series.
    Thanks George! Funny how that works. It might be safe to say that the Supremes [[with and without Diana) STILL consistently sell very well.

always thought this was a good collection.thanks to all for this cd.

2 questions, is there a longer version of UP THE LADDER TO THE ROOF and any info on REMOTE CONTROL???

thanks much George! your insight is so appreciated. i LOVE your info in the discography for Randy's book. any chance of doing something similar for us with the 70 Sups lps? the two Hip O collections are great but they don't really go into the development and work with the specific lps. the info you provide about the 60s Sup and Diana with changing out tracks, recording history, single release info, etc is great!!

Great that this thread was resurrected!
    I printed out George's original story and folded it up with my Jean Terrell Years Hip-O Select set.

Great story and thank you George for updating too.

And I also gotta say this is the kind of Supremes thread I like - it is about the MUSIC...

Who can we petition [[harass) to get the original track list issued? I would love to have it and since the master is sitting in a vault somewhere, how much more work would it take to issue it?
    A title like "George Solomon's Supremes 70s Greatest Hits and Rare Classics" would be most excellent.

So is it my understanding you're looking for the 70s Supremes Greatest Hits and Rare Classics cassette tape?

this is one of the few cassettes I have left but ,not player which to play it. still hoping for a 70s lost and found,maybe we could use some of these