[REMOVE ADS]

Interview with Kathy Sledge

Hello all! Below is a link to my interview with Kathy Sledge ,from Sister Sledge. She talks about her tribute show to Billie Holiday, her new music and the major lawsuit she was involved with her sisters.

http://soultrain.com/2014/08/08/qa-kathy-sledge/

Quote Originally Posted by funkyone71 View Post
    Hello all! Below is a link to my interview with Kathy Sledge ,from Sister Sledge. She talks about her tribute show to Billie Holiday, her new music and the major lawsuit she was involved with her sisters.

http://soultrain.com/2014/08/08/qa-kathy-sledge/
    Great interview. Wow, she sure dodged the question about performing with her sisters again. I, for one, would love to see them perform together as a group. A lot of artists think their "soloness" is greater than the group. Sometimes it is, more often it's not.

Thanks for the interview.

You're welcome Tsull! Thank you for your comments!

Great interview funkyone71. Attended two of her shows at Blues Alley last weekend and found out that all four shows were sold out. She put on a great show, the voice was tip top and the music was all authentic jazz. She did an incredible job of channeling Billie Holiday. Here's a pic that I took with her and her husband, the incredible drummer Philip Lightfoot Name:  kathymephil1.jpg
Views: 8010
Size:  88.0 KB. Here's an audio clip of her Billie Holiday and below is a review of the show from Kiande Jakada, administrator of the Sister Sledge Legacy of Love page on Facebook:

Blues Alley was the place to be over the weekend, as Kathy Sledge brought "The Brighter Side of Day" to town. The show, which is a tribute to Billie Holiday and the music of the 40's, was an amazing opportunity to witness Jazz at its finest, and to introduce to some, or to reignite ones love for Billie Holiday. Four shows over a two night period filled Blues Alley to capacity.

The show began with the band [[Somebody Tell Joe, featuring the Chops Horns), opening with stellar renditions of "Giant Steps & A Night In Tunisia", followed by Miss Kathy Sledge entering the stage with her original composition "Take Away Two". Wearing an elegant black mini-dress and black stilettos, Kathy blew the audience away with her versions of Jazz standards "Almost Like Being In Love & That's All". Kathy stepped aside as Somebody Tell Joe, featuring the Chops Horns offered a playful version of Louis Jordan's tune "Caldonia", and the classic "Salt Peanuts".

The show continued with Kathy re-entering the stage, channeling Billie Holiday through such songs as; "Lover Man, Them There Eyes, Good Morning Heartache, Miss Brown To You, and God Bless The Child". It would be a night[[s) of musical explosions and breathtaking renditions of classic music. Kathy closed the show with another original song that included Billie Holiday lyrics and song titles, "The Brighter Side of Day". An amazing performance, and a good time had by all.

I was fortunate enough to witness all four shows, as well as hang with long time friends, and meet new friends. I am Grateful!!!

Thanks for a great interview! Hope to see her here in Europe in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by tsull1 View Post
    Great interview. Wow, she sure dodged the question about performing with her sisters again. I, for one, would love to see them perform together as a group. A lot of artists think their "soloness" is greater than the group. Sometimes it is, more often it's not.

Thanks for the interview.
    Tsull1, here is Kathy's response to someone asking her on facebook if shew ill reconnect with her sisters to record again:
    "Thank you !...That's funny, my mother used to call me " sunshine"!
    The sisters lawsuit towards me and my daughter was a very painful process and naturally the desire to "work"with them is obviously gone..[[but in an extremely healthy way) it has made me a much stronger person and catapulted me to " walk in my gift". My prayer is that we will Always be known for a song that has brought so many people together! Thank you for the kind words. Moving forward has made me realize that God Gives us gifts! I never knew the value of mine with that band. It was always a struggle. ..But if we are lucky we all learn how to embrace our gifts in this lifetime and walk in them. Thank you, and you have a blessed Wednesday"