[REMOVE ADS]

Lonely Teardrops .. Jackie Wilson, James Brown and BARRY Gordy :)

I was going through some old 45s a few days back and found a long-forgotten gem in the shape of a version of "Lonely Teardrops" produced by JAMES BROWN for his People label back in 1974 and performed by a vocal harmony group called THE INSIDERS ...

Name:  People644b-crop.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  49.3 KB

As you can see .. one of the songwriter names is put as BARRY Gordy .. a bit of an unfortunate typo but part of me does wonder whether Mr Brown was aware of this .. maybe he was the proof-reader ..

I couldn't find the tune on you-tube [[it is done in a slow ballad style a bit similar to the type of thing groups like THE DETROIT EMERALDS or THE DRAMATICS were doing at the time). However I did find this great clip of JACKIE WILSON performing the song "Live" on T.V. back in 1962 ...

What a great performance, complete with Mr Excitement's trademark spins and splits [[what in Britain became known as "Northern Soul Dancing" some ten years later) ....

Roger

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  21.1 KB
    Berry Gordy's name was misspelt as "Barry Gordy" on Bob Kayli's [[Robert Gordy's) "Everyone Was There" on Carlton Records. The Barry Gordy Orchestra was listed. It was common for the printers to change unusual spellings to a more "expected" spelling, and they were often wrong in doing that. We had a couple of misspellings at Airwave Records, for which I personally know had been spelt correctly, when sending the order to the printer.