[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Jazz in Detroit

Jazz in Detroit

I will be in Detroit visiting from England from August 19 and would respectfully ask for any local guidance.
    I am seeking out a good jazz club to visit on Saturday night with my wife.
    The internet seems to give Cliff Bell's club a good rating.
    Any views on this or alternatives to look at would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by bobkayli; 08-07-2014 at 01:34 PM. Reason: error correction

Quote Originally Posted by bobkayli View Post
    I will be in Detroit visiting from England from August 19 and would respectfully ask for any local guidance.
    I am seeking out a good jazz club to visit on Saturday night with my wife.
    The internet seems to give Cliff Bell's club a good rating.
    Any views on this or alternatives to look at would be much appreciated.
    I would also check out Baker's lounge on Livernois avenue its a real nice club and they chicken wings and braised short ribs are the best in town. Id also go to Berts in the eastern markets area of Detroit for good jazz and you may be real lucky and run into the first lady of Motown records Dr Martha Reeves at Berts.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

thomas96 Guest
    All the ones Roberta suggested are great, also I recommend Northern Lights Lounge. Bert's is a really great intimate setting for jazz. So is Baker's Keyboard Lounge. I'd go to one of those two over Cliff Bells if I were you.

Many thanks for the guidance. The food tips are also swaying our choice!

I think we'll try Bakers on the Saturday and Bert's on the Sunday seeing that there is also a Motown Bar there.

Bakers I remember reading about in various early Motown biographies so it will be cool to go there.

There is also my favorite spot, Flood's on St. Antoine. They have great drinks and food as well. 313) 963-1090

Marv are you an avid traveller?

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Marv are you an avid traveller?
    Stephanie yes! I've traveled/travel quite a bit. I love it!

I'm sat in Chicago O'Hare Airport on my way home after a fabulous two weeks in Michigan and Chicago.
    Just a note to thank all for the advice you guys gave me.
    we managed to take in Cliff Bell, Bert's and Bakers and were made to feel very welcome in all three. The jazz was tops and the braised ribs top-notch.
    dreading the credit card bill when it comes through but already thinking about saving for the next trip.
    thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by bobkayli View Post
    I'm sat in Chicago O'Hare Airport on my way home after a fabulous two weeks in Michigan and Chicago.
    Just a note to thank all for the advice you guys gave me.
    we managed to take in Cliff Bell, Bert's and Bakers and were made to feel very welcome in all three. The jazz was tops and the braised ribs top-notch.
    dreading the credit card bill when it comes through but already thinking about saving for the next trip.
    thanks again.
    It sound like you had a real good trip bobkay. Glad you enjoyed the braised ribs at Bakers. I love that place and they dressing and yams compliement the ribs real good. Did you go to the Motown Museum and was the First Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves at Berts or the museum. Shes a regualr at both places.

Fondly,

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    It sound like you had a real good trip bobkay. Glad you enjoyed the braised ribs at Bakers. I love that place and they dressing and yams compliement the ribs real good. Did you go to the Motown Museum and was the First Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves at Berts or the museum. Shes a regualr at both places.

Fondly,

Roberta
    Unfortunately Martha was not to be seen other than in the memorabilia at the Motown Museum which was fab as always. United Sound studios was also awesome and under promoted IMO. Brad Hales was also great for buying vinyl Detroit 45s. The people of Deteoit were also wonderful treating us with kindness and affection all the way. A great time in all.