[REMOVE ADS]

Motowners on SDF

Hmmm, just thinking. Besides Susaye [[and Ralph, of course), have any other Motowners posted on SDF with regularity? ...or even once?

I believe Katherine of the Marvelettes did a few times back when.

Dennis Coffey used to post quite regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Hmmm, just thinking. Besides Susaye [[and Ralph, of course), have any other Motowners posted on SDF with regularity? ...or even once?
    Let's not forget the esteemed Alan Abrams. He will always be Motowner #1 in a lot of peoples opinion. As most of you know he was the first employee of Berry in the beginning. He has posted on the Motown forum numerous times and been an advocate of the Motown history that he has rightfully documented in his book, Hype & Soul.

Deke Richards posted some very interesting info. Rosalind Ashford of the Vandellas also posted once or twice.

R Dean taylor did a few times

...as did Tommy Good.

Let's not forget that anyone from the other Motowners can view the posts, but may not actually sign in and post comments....

FRANCES NERO posted on a few occasions.

Roger

Annette Holmes of the Vandellas

I think you mean Annette HELTON.

oh yea Roz HOLMES

Velvelettes lead singer, Cal Street has posted on SDF

There was a "Message from Mary [[Wilson)" a while back that at eluded that she has seen some of the comments on this board, and others.

Perhaps not in the same category, but Andy, George and Harry have also posted from time to time.

And some of you also might remember when Tony Turner was a regular here. [[Remember the rules of being nice!)

our late member Bob Babbitt
    posted here.
    and Ray Monette of Rare Earth
    edafan

I think we could have a few come back now too.

Mike Terry, George McGregor and Mike McLean have also posted

A few years ago I saw a post of Chris Clark. Announcing an UK tour.

thomas96 Guest
    Jimmy Ruffin and Jack Ashford were on a long long time ago. But only very brief posts, and not many.

Many of these people are on Facebook and run their own pages, not a fan page like many celebrities have. And many of them post a lot ~ Susaye posts a lot. But many of the posts of many of these people are not music related; there are some about family and other interests.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Many of these people are on Facebook and run their own pages, not a fan page like many celebrities have. And many of them post a lot ~ Susaye posts a lot. But many of the posts of many of these people are not music related; there are some about family and other interests.
    You are absolutely correct, jobeterob. It's intriguing to stumble on a celebrity's Facebook page and enjoy posts about his/her personal interests.

In regard to Susaye, I was indicating [[above) that she is often on SFD itself [[213 times).

Other artists [[not necessarily Motown) who used to post here are Spyder Turner, Chazz Dixon, Bobby Eli, Ray Monette, Detroit News music journalist Susan Whitall, some members of girl groups [[who did not reveal their identity to most because of all the fighting) and more who's names are slipping my mind at the moment.

There was a great deal of musical knowledge and history from these folks. I learned so much from them. I found SDF by researching The Jive Five on the net. I've always loved r&b/ soul which is not popular in my native Maine.

There were interesting discussions on the main forum about many soul, r&b and "doo wop" artists from various areas of the country. It is my hope, some will return. It's true Facebook has become the rage for many. I administer a fan page there myself for Eugene Pitt & The Jive Five. SDF does have a lot to offer, and I'm grateful for the friends I've made here and the knowledge I have gained from SDF members.

~~Mary~~

^ I remembered when Susan posted on the old Soulful Detroit forum. Had no idea Katherine posted too. Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    There was a "Message from Mary [[Wilson)" a while back that at eluded that she has seen some of the comments on this board, and others.

Perhaps not in the same category, but Andy, George and Harry have also posted from time to time.

And some of you also might remember when Tony Turner was a regular here. [[Remember the rules of being nice!)
    Mary Wilson does "lurk" on SDF.

Mike Valvano had his user name set up but he passed before posting.

Russ Terrana has also posted and there have been some great anecdotes and videos from him and Ralph on the forum.

I won't forget that day, John. I had just spoken with Mike when, one morning, I got a call from Harry Balk telling me of Mike's passing. That was a tough one for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    I won't forget that day, John. I had just spoken with Mike when, one morning, I got a call from Harry Balk telling me of Mike's passing. That was a tough one for me.
    It is very tough as you get old to see your contemporaries failing and then pass away. If you are lucky enough to make it to 90 or beyond, it creates a great loneliness to see school mates, work colleagues and your family go.

This is one reason it is very nice to have a Forum celebrating some people that worked together in a Family Atmosphere 50 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Ralph, you know I heard from Mike's wife some time ago thanking us for remembering him.

The late Weldon McDougal from Motown and Phildelphia Intl posted here as well.

That is nice to know, Marv. I never got to meet her.