[REMOVE ADS]

smark21 Guest

List of ten best 60s girl group songs

While many of the famous groups are listed, oftentimes it's not one of their well known songs. Good list:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/mus...es-shangri-las

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    While many of the famous groups are listed, oftentimes it's not one of their well known songs. Good list:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/mus...es-shangri-las
    And the first Lady of Motown Records Dr martha Reeves is number 1 and that warms my heart that Miss reeves is getting raves all over the world.

Thank you for sharing this dear.

Roberta

...everybody's got one"
    Ah, apparently John Clemente did indeed finish his updated Girl Goups book but unfortunately my libraries didn't see fit to get it and I can't afford the purchase right now.
    Researching leads on youtube I've discovered over 2 dozen girl groups vying in my head to
    be at least second place to my tied Marvelettes and Cookies, most of them out of print or
    only issued in compilation cds from Kent. Speaking of this list I certainly would have picked
    I Want A Boy For My Birthday [[with it's gorgeous Sha La La chorus) or even I Never Dreamed
    [[with Margaret Ross instead of Earljean on lead) for Cookies songs but that's just my own biases talking...

Don't forget one of the premier girl groups,The Chantels still going strong with 3 original members. Also,one of the best but under-rated Orlons.Just listen to their covers on those cameo LPs of girl grp classics.

yes, the Orlons are among the greatest groups in rock history.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  21.1 KB
    I don't include Motown girls' groups in with my girls' group songs. If I were to do that, "In My Lonely Room" by Martha & Vandellas, "Run, Run, Run" , and When The Lovelight... " by The Supremes, loads of Velvelettes' songs and some Marvelettes might dominate the Top 10. My list is dominated by Goffin-King and Goffin Titleman songs, and Greenwich-Barry and Mann-Weil songs. So here's my list without any Motown cuts:

[[1) I Never Dreamed - Cookies
    [[2) He's A Quiet Guy - Darlene Love [[& Group)
    [[3) Baby, Baby, I Still Love You - Cinderellas
    [[4) My Heart's Not In It - Darlene McRea [[& Cookies)
    [[5) One Wonderful Night - Honey Bees [[Cookies)
    [[6) Let Me Get Close To You - Beverly Warren [[& Group)
    [[7) Just For Tonight - Chiffons
    [[8) Why Don't They Let Us Fall In Love - Veronica [[Ronettes)
    [[9) If You Were A Man - Clydie King [[& Group)
    [[10) Big Bad World -Cathy Saint [[& Group)