[REMOVE ADS]

Early Reviews For "Get On Up" Are Good

Tracking the movie on RT [[http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/get_on_up/) so far so good. Is anyone not planning on seeing this? I'll be attending an early Saturday morning showing [[Lord willing) and am looking forward to seeing the movie. I saw the set list of songs featured and was a little disappointed that "There Was A Time" was not included because it's one of my favorites Brown tunes. I also wish they had used the version of "Get Up [[I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine from the double 1970 live and studio album titled "Sex Machine." That album has [[to me) the best version of that song as well as "Bewildered" and "It's A Man's World."

Get On Up [[Movie) Set List

1 Get Up [[I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine [[Pt. 1 & 2)
    2 The Payback
    3 Out Of Sight
    4 I Got You [[I Feel Good)
    5 Caldonia [[Get On Up Soundtrack Version)
    6 Please, Please, Please [[Live In Tampa, FL 1966)
    7 Night Train [[Live At The Apollo Theater 1962)
    8 Papa's Got A Brand New Bag [[Pt. 1)
    9 It's A Man's Man's Man's World [[Live In Tampa, FL 1966)
    10 Cold Sweat [[Part 1)
    11 Mother Popcorn [[Part 1)
    12 I Got The Feelin' [[Live At Memorial Auditorium, Dallas 1968)
    13 I Can't Stand Myself [[When You Touch Me) [[Live At Memorial Auditorium, Dallas 1968)
    14 Say It Loud - I'm Black And I'm Proud
    15 Get Up [[I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine [[Live At The Olympia Theatre, Paris 1971)
    16 Super Bad [[Live)
    17 Soul Power [[Live At The Apollo Theater 1971)
    18 Try Me [[Live At The Apollo Theater 1967)
    19 Please Please Please [[Get On Up Soundtrack Version)
    20 Get Up Offa That Thing

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  21.1 KB
    Sounds like it should be a film about my old friend, Bunky Sheppard, or about The Esquires.
    I'd rather see him get a little love than more for James Brown.

I'll be at the 10:00 a.m. matinee tomorrow morning. Hoping some bolder than me will be dancing in the aisles!
    Owww! Good god! Maceo blow your horn!
    I don't want no trash!
    I'll stop at the nearest pharmacy 'cuz its far too expensive here to get me some popcorn!

Many theaters having preview shows tonight [[Thursday) at 8pm. I'm there!

I hope it's at least historically correct. I know Hollywood likes to make things up, but in Brown's case the early struggles he had with Sid Nathan over getting his songs released his way are vital to his story. Nathan dissing the ground- breaking "Please Please Please", calling the song "a piece of sh*t" is a good example. If Brown had compromised his style, there might not even be a movie about him today.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    I'll be at the 10:00 a.m. matinee tomorrow morning. Hoping some bolder than me will be dancing in the aisles!
    Owww! Good god! Maceo blow your horn!
    I don't want no trash!
    I'll stop at the nearest pharmacy 'cuz its far too expensive here to get me some popcorn!

I was cackling on the pharmacy/popcorn sentence. Positive reviews are up to 84% now on RT http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/get_on_up/.
    Last edited by mr_june; 07-31-2014 at 04:08 PM.

my brother, Randy, saw it last night at a 8pm preview with about 10 0ther people in the theater & was not thrilled with it. He says the music is the star. I will let him go into detail.

Yes, I did not like the movie! The music is, of course, fabulous and you did feel like dancing. But the story jumps all over and back and forth. It did show that he had a very bad childhood, however, you didn't really get a feel or impression of who he really was as a person. Bobby Byrd WAS however portrayed exactly as he was--a sweet, nice, warm friendly person who didn't like conflict. Marva Whitney was only referred to by her first name and never was even said to be a singer. She was on the plane when it almost crashed in Viet Nam and then later [[if you remembered her brief appearance on the plane) was standing with the band when they all said they were quitting. I believe Marva's book gives you a better impression of who James Brown was as an individual than this film. He is never introduced in performance--no mc! Only the old film clip of Jan & Dean in the TAMI Show is shown introducing the group--James & Flames. Lesley Gore's clip from TAMI is shown too. His stage exit in the finale of his shows is shown with only ONE cape, not the many colorful capes that were used, usually by Danny Ray. The movie shows a studio scene recording "Mother Popcorn" and then a call comes that Martin Luther King has been shot. So that's not correct as Popcorn was done about a year later. The Orlando paper here gave it 3 1/2 stars out of 5. I will be interested in reading what others here on SD think after seeing the movie. It wasn't well announced that an 8:15pm showing would be last night so only about ten other people were there besides me. Everyone was in the 50+ age group. "Try Me" wasn't done until the end of the movie although that was his big cross over hit. It does show Sid Nathan not liking "Please Please Please".

Until I see the movie, this is my sentiment.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gregor...b_5638130.html

timmyfunk, I could not pull that site up. All I could see was a title "The Whitewashing of James Brown", however.

I so wanted to see this movie but I think I'll wait til it's on dvd based on the reviews I've
    been seeing. Dang...Think I'll take my coin and go see the documentary on Fela Kuti
    instead...

In regard to there being no intro or stage entrance, I never once heard the famous "It's Star Time!".

Liberties/dramatic license are taken with all biopics. Experts on the lives of a particular artist or group are never satisfied with the results. I remember seeing an interview with Benny Goodman years ago when he totally trashed the movie of his life story. He said there was not a shred of truth in it and he found it laughable. The same was said about "The Glen Miller Story".

We all know the movie "The Temptations" was full of inaccuracies, and "Dream Girls" was very loosely based on The Supremes.

I guess we can't expect perfection from any of these biopics, but I still want to see "Get On Up" and "Jersey Boys". I'm happy these movies are being produced because some great music is being revived for younger demographics.

~~Mary~~

Oh I agree, Mary! There have only been two that I really liked--"Coal Miner's Daughter" and "Ray". I do hope the movie attracts a younger generation as the few people at the movie this past Thurs. night were well over 50.

You could've gotten closer to perfection with a legitimate collection of advisors. Obviously this is something you don't see with biopics of people who are not Black.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshineonacloudyday View Post
    I hope it's at least historically correct. I know Hollywood likes to make things up, but in Brown's case the early struggles he had with Sid Nathan over getting his songs released his way are vital to his story. Nathan dissing the ground- breaking "Please Please Please", calling the song "a piece of sh*t" is a good example. If Brown had compromised his style, there might not even be a movie about him today.
    No doubt! From the trailers, it does indeed look like they covered that, his obsession with guns, his drug use, and how he was with his band[[s).

Saw it, Bozeman was good. Bobby Byrd's character was good. Other people were fake, film controlled by one woman in his life, key people missing, timeline wrong in places, and Teddy was much older than they have it here, he was 18 when he was killed. There's no N.Y. years and not enough about Velma, Teddy & Terry. Papa Dud was missing a key person who James lived with in Toccoa, GA. when he got out of Jail whom later was the caretaker at this N.Y. home.
    They did touch briefly on his domestic violence, being a tyrant with the band, guns, and drug use. As well as hitting on Bobby's wife Vickie. They covered what they could "I guess or what certain family members allowed in the film" [[SMH)! Except there should have been more on Velma, his sons with Velma, and Papa Dud, as well as his N.Y. years with Florence Farmer. Oh Marva Whitney and Tammi Montgomery were completely cut out. It's laughable that Marva was cut out, but then I'm sure the second wife wanted to forget all about her existence. Too bad. Would have like to see the conflict between him & Joe Tex at the Apollo, lol.

S.S.

As I've already said I'll see it when it's released on DVD, probably this fall from what I'm guessing. James Brown was certainly a big screen subject but this doesn't sound like a big
    screen must-see release. Yes, @ Jive Five Mary, I know liberties are taken with every
    "biopic", certainly Ray and the other mentioned movies had theirs but this thing sounds
    like it has more holes than fishnet stockings. I can swallow that from a dvd checked out of
    the library for free bu not after shelling out what it cost to see movies in New York. It
    has though occured to me that maybe a good movie on JB covering enough of his bases
    to satisfy those who knew his life and music, would take twice the time and budget of this
    one....Dang, no mention of the late great Lyn Collins either? Hit me,Fred! Hard!......

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Sister View Post
    Saw it, Bozeman was good. Bobby Byrd's character was good. Other people were fake, film controlled by one woman in his life, key people missing, timeline wrong in places, and Teddy was much older than they have it here, he was 18 when he was killed. There's no N.Y. years and not enough about Velma, Teddy & Terry. Papa Dud was missing a key person who James lived with in Toccoa, GA. when he got out of Jail whom later was the caretaker at this N.Y. home.
    They did touch briefly on his domestic violence, being a tyrant with the band, guns, and drug use. As well as hitting on Bobby's wife Vickie. They covered what they could "I guess or what certain family members allowed in the film" [[SMH)! Except there should have been more on Velma, his sons with Velma, and Papa Dud, as well as his N.Y. years with Florence Farmer. Oh Marva Whitney and Tammi Montgomery were completely cut out. It's laughable that Marva was cut out, but then I'm sure the second wife wanted to forget all about her existence. Too bad. Would have like to see the conflict between him & Joe Tex at the Apollo, lol.

S.S.
    Not to mention nothing on his dealings with Yvonne Fair and that they had a child together. If she hadn't said her name on the bus you would not have know who she was. No information on his last wife either.
    I got more information googling information on James Brown than I did from the movie. Nice attempt but like most have said too many holes and so much information left out or over looked.

I saw the movie yesterday afternoon & I Liked it. I thought the acting was good.The music is the star.If someone walked into there "cold" not knowing anything about JB and his impact, I don't know if they would like it.The theater was full and 99% of those in attendance were over 50 & as I looked around while the music was playing most were like me bobbin their heads.

Two artists who new JB well, gave very positive reviews of the movie on Facebook. The artists are Billy Vera & Dion.

~~Mary~~

timmyfunk, they DID consult with people who worked with James Brown as well as family members. Since Vicki Anderson attended the premier at the Apollo last week, I am sure she must have given them info. on Bobby Byrd as well as herself.

Here's an interesting and excellent interview with JB's son Daryl written By Susan Whitall of "The Detroit News".

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...-hits-theaters

~~Mary~~

Thanks for posting the above, Mary G!

You're most welcome, Russi.

~~Mary~~

well that book sure sounds interesting...ofcourse like everything the truth is somewhere inbetween.Interesting comment from Joyce Moore, in the comments below the article in the Detroit News.

The wife and I saw this and both liked it. Some songs that I personally favored [[There Was Time, Licking Stick, Prisoner of Love) were not used but the songs used are excellent. I was relieved to see JB in the hands of an actor who could pull it off. I don't know how high and low they searched for an actor to play Brown but it would be hard to imagine someone else doing a better job. The same for Nelsan Ellis playing Bobby Byrd who's call and response on stage with JB along with the groove could leave you spellbound. I'd like to have seen a bit more of Byrd on stage. Unless I missed it, they left out Danny Ray as MC. Definitely lots of room for a couple more movies on Brown and maybe Spike will take the baton.

The only thing I was disappointed with is the box office results. Wow! The movie got good reviews but no support. My goodness, James Brown is an icon and I thought there'd be more of an outpouring than what last weekend showed. I'd like to know why the film didn't do better financially. I don't think it's an age gap thing as my soon to be 7 year old great granddaughter knew who James Brown was long before this movie was released. Isn't he also the most sampled artist in Rap & Hip Hop?

I bought the GLOBE tabloid today while at the grocery store. James Garner is on the cover and it is dated Aug. 11, 2014. On page 40, the article is "New James Brown Movie is Web of Lies!". A woman who is shown in a small photo named Jacque Hollander says she is JB's former publicist and that he hated Mick Jagger. She claims he was murdered and also claims she was kidnapped and raped by JB at gunpoint in 1988. It also mentions the new book by Daryl Brown, My Father the Godfather.

I did mean to include that she says he was under a drug influence when he supposedly kidnapped and raped her.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    The wife and I saw this and both liked it. Some songs that I personally favored [[There Was Time, Licking Stick, Prisoner of Love) were not used but the songs used are excellent. I was relieved to see JB in the hands of an actor who could pull it off. I don't know how high and low they searched for an actor to play Brown but it would be hard to imagine someone else doing a better job. The same for Nelsan Ellis playing Bobby Byrd who's call and response on stage with JB along with the groove could leave you spellbound. I'd like to have seen a bit more of Byrd on stage. Unless I missed it, they left out Danny Ray as MC. Definitely lots of room for a couple more movies on Brown and maybe Spike will take the baton.

The only thing I was disappointed with is the box office results. Wow! The movie got good reviews but no support. My goodness, James Brown is an icon . Isn't he also the most sampled artist in Rap & Hip Hop?
    He was for a long time but George Clinton's P funk output caught up and eventually surpassed even the great JB...I'm still fighting with myself over this movie. I mean it
    is James Brown as a subject which I'd love to see on the big screen but the only good things
    I hear about it is the lead is a great actor and the music is the star. I have a bunch of JB's
    music I can listen to and I've read his own autobiography as well as at least 2 books others
    have written about him. Most of the facts of his life I already know, good and bad. I'd just
    like a better telling of at least half of his story than I'm hearing...

I was at the Bud Billikin Parade Saturday and every where you went someone was selling bootleg copies of movies including "Get On Up" and doing so in the presence of hundreds of police officers. On a daily basis you can find these sellers at public transit stations boldly selling like it wasn't against the law. It's been a long time since I've heard of a bust for selling movies this way. Bootleg movies are popular in the hood and my wife and I laughed and said "Wow, this is how a lot of black folks are seeing the movie. The box office results segment by Dean Richards on WGN didn't even have "Get On Up" listed yesterday even though it registered 5 million dollars.

On one site, I read that GET ON UP was #8 for the week, down from #3 the week before.

reese, that sounds pretty good.I'm not hip to movies "chart" ratings but #3 the first week & #8 the 2nd sound pretty good .

I think it did ok the first week, but according to two box office websites, it declined 62% in its second week. So word of mouth might not be good. And as written above, I wouldn't be surprised if bootlegs might be a factor as well.

I'm old school on this tech stuff, so how good are these bootlegs.I mean someone goes to the movie theater & videos it from the screen?

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    I'm old school on this tech stuff, so how good are these bootlegs.I mean someone goes to the movie theater & videos it from the screen?
    Sometimes, as you said, people just go to a screening and tape it. I've seen some where you can actually hear audience members and so forth. But I've seen others that have had quality so good that they had to be stolen from from the studio. Also, sometimes industry insiders get screeners and let them be duplicated.
    Last edited by reese; 08-12-2014 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    I was at the Bud Billikin Parade Saturday and every where you went someone was selling bootleg copies of movies including "Get On Up" and doing so in the presence of hundreds of police officers. On a daily basis you can find these sellers at public transit stations boldly selling like it wasn't against the law. It's been a long time since I've heard of a bust for selling movies this way. Bootleg movies are popular in the hood and I said to my wife "Wow, this is how a lot of black folks are seeing the movie. They are not going to theaters to support it.".......
    History repeating itself. Same thing happened to music industry and look at the sad state that it is in. But now even the bootleggers are having it tough. You can download illegal movies from the internet. Not something that I would do, but a lot of young people do it.

I see few movies, but when they are about music, I usually see them and enjoy them in a theatre, not at home on DVD. I saw Jersey Boys and Get On Up and enjoyed both of them. Yes, I did see some of the inaccuracies, and changing events around to suit the script, but in spite of that, I enjoyed both movies