[REMOVE ADS]

Lulu Guest

Leslie Uggams MOTOWN album

I just acquired this on vinyl. I haven't listened to it yet but was wondering what anyone else's thoughts might be.

Superb album. Give it a few plays before you judge.

Love this album. Wish it was available on CD or digital format.

I have always loved this LP. Remember buying it and having to take It back as defective several times when it first came out, though. I's love to see it released on CD!

Add me to the list of people who would love to see this album released on CD. In fact when I saw your thread, given recent discussions, I thought you were about to deliver that exact news to us! Maybe someday.........

Anyway, I think the opening cut "I Was the Life of the Party" is a sensational song. If it is ever released, maybe there will be some bonus cuts from the session.

I came across this review of the Leslie Uggams Motown record and thought some readers might enjoy these comments.

Leslie Uggams' one shot on Motown

Don't buy it hoping for lost disco despite titles like

MEET ME TONIGHT
    I WAS THE LIFE OF THE PARTY
    TWO SHOES

This is a more sweeping softer styled pop album where dramatic stories are told and Leslie paces her voice going up and down , from loud to soft to loud ... taking it in all possible directions sounding at times like Patti Labelle, Dionne Warwicke, and Denise Williams .....and most commonly sounding like Diana Ross did during that same yet-to-find-disco period in 1975. This album features one instrument above all others .... the voice of Leslie Uggams.

Makes one ask how in the world did she wind up on Motown competing directly with the solo career of Diana Ross and
    why didn't Motown release any singles off of this LP ????

Oh wait I've answered that haven't I

DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'VE GOT is the most saucy cut ...something mildly approaching Linda Clifford .....funky & Whitfield-ish .... but not disco.

most clever line found on NEXT STOP HEAVEN :
    next stop heaven .... and I'm gonna get off with you

---- that tilted shot of the album cover really deflatters a nice cover photo of Leslie

And if you want to hear more of Leslie....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrma76T5Wa4

And then below is Leslie explaining to Seth Rudetsky the story behind what happened and then the follow-up....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkHsFA2LS60

honest man Guest
    lovely album,im sure you will enjoy it,

How about this for synchronicity? I'm in the middle of a DVD of the third series of "The Good Wife". I had just been reading this thread, then when I went back to the DVD, Leslie Uggams was guest starring in the episode I watched.