[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    Thanks for playing three supremes tracks back to back your work deserves mention here "life beats" "up the ladder to, the roof" @nd "bill when are u coming back" . You are fabulous. And thank u for remebering the passing of beloved tammi terrell with a cute tribute.
    Thank you, Franjoy....I truly appreciate it! So glad you're here! Awww...how could I forget Tammi.....never....ever!

Folks....thank you all for letting me be a part of your evening. See you next week!!! John

RossHolloway Guest
    I haven't heard the long version of Get Ready by Rare Earth in a few years, what a great recording. I wonder what Smokey thought about Rare Earth's version of his song.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    The Vietnam war-themed "Forget Me Not" had been a UK hit, so "I Should Be Proud" should have been an obvious choice for a single, yet it wasn't released over here. One of Martha's best records.
    Although war themed, I think "Forget Me Not" was a more universal message. It could apply to any girl saying goodbye to her fellow going off to war. Also, it wasn't a protest song. It was more along the lines of "Soldier Boy" by the Shirelles. Finally, I think it was just a better song all the way round than was "I Should Be Proud." Although I think Martha sings the hell out of "Should Be Proud," it has an odd melody structure, and I think is in a minor key [[though I'm no expert to be sure), and is not meant to be uplifting or melodic as is "Forget Me Not." I guess considering the times, the powers that be just felt the US market was not in the mood for any song that made going to war seem uplifting.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Although war themed, I think "Forget Me Not" was a more universal message. It could apply to any girl saying goodbye to her fellow going off to war. Also, it wasn't a protest song. It was more along the lines of "Soldier Boy" by the Shirelles. Finally, I think it was just a better song all the way round than was "I Should Be Proud." Although I think Martha sings the hell out of "Should Be Proud," it has an odd melody structure, and I think is in a minor key [[though I'm no expert to be sure), and is not meant to be uplifting or melodic as is "Forget Me Not." I guess considering the times, the powers that be just felt the US market was not in the mood for any song that made going to war seem uplifting.
    The odd melodic structure would have made it stand out from the crowd. "Forget Me Not" had the "Dixie" instrumental break to grab the attention. I think both songs would have been hits on both sides of the pond if they had received sufficient airplay.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    The odd melodic structure would have made it stand out from the crowd. "Forget Me Not" had the "Dixie" instrumental break to grab the attention. I think both songs would have been hits on both sides of the pond if they had received sufficient airplay.
    You know at the time, living in Detroit, my parents subscribed to the London Illustrated Times [[!) and that magazine actually reviewed the single "I Should Be Proud," commenting how unusual it was to see a protest song from Martha & the Vandellas.