[REMOVE ADS]

The Temptations : "I'll Be In Trouble"!

How about some authentic "Motown Sound" by the Temptations and this great classic that was a favorite local Detroit "hit" ....."I'll Be In Trouble" SING!

I prefer the extended mono version found on the "Emperors Of Soul" boxed set.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I don't remember how that version sounds. I just remember my father's old Greatest Hits album [[the purple one) and this being one of our favorites. It has a strong gospel feel to it and Eddie is really getting down on the lead and Melvin is also prominent on this one. Love It!

I love the street-corner doo-wop vibe over the cool musicians jamming.

The extended mono version runs nearly 30 seconds longer with more of Eddie's ad-libbing. The mix itself is cleaner than the stereo mix.

If you ever find that box, grab it! It's five CDs of soul nirvana.

Had never heard the extended mono version before. Found it on youtube. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KmFpgxsHYA

Love it and eddie had a fabulous falsetto. Ill have to borrow my sisters box set

I love the street-corner doo-wop vibe over the cool musicians jamming.

The extended mono version runs nearly 30 seconds longer with more of Eddie's ad-libbing. The mix itself is cleaner than the stereo mix.

If you ever find that box, grab it! It's five CDs of soul nirvana.
    I am going to get it. I've passed it up for years because I have just every album released on the Temptations up to about 1995. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    Had never heard the extended mono version before. Found it on youtube. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KmFpgxsHYA
    I just heard it and I love it! Real singing, real instruments and great rhythm. Thanks Mowest!!!

Here's a question, upon listening "I'll Be In Trouble" now after all these years. With Eddie Kendricks doing the lead, who's singing the higher falsetto in the background? Hmmmm......

When "I'll Be In trouble" was performed at the Roostertail on the Temptations Live! [[Gordy 921), it was part of the opening medley and no one is singing the higher falsetto part there.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    When "I'll Be In trouble" was performed at the Roostertail on the Temptations Live! [[Gordy 921), it was part of the opening medley and no one is singing the higher falsetto part there.
    I was referring to the studio recording.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Here's a question, upon listening "I'll Be In Trouble" now after all these years. With Eddie Kendricks doing the lead, who's singing the higher falsetto in the background? Hmmmm......
    For most of it, he does sound solo, bit, in other parts it does sound a bit like there are two falsettos. If that's true, he could have done the backgrounds with the rest of the group, then did his lead as an overdub. At that point, they were still working with four-tracks, so, like "My Girl", they probably did a fair amount of bouncing.

Perhaps there is someone around here who can offer some actual details on how the recording and mixing was done.

I was referring to the studio recording.
    Yes, I realize that. But the fact that the sound was not replicated live could mean that it was Eddie or even someone other than a Temptation doing that part on the single.
    Otis Williams is quoted as saying that Eddie really had to push on that song as it was written by Smokey in a higher key than Eddie was used to.

For most of it, he does sound solo, bit, in other parts it does sound a bit like there are two falsettos. If that's true, he could have done the backgrounds with the rest of the group, then did his lead as an overdub. At that point, they were still working with four-tracks, so, like "My Girl", they probably did a fair amount of bouncing.

Perhaps there is someone around here who can offer some actual details on how the recording and mixing was done.
    Maybe it's Smokey? Doesn't really sound like him, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

supremester Guest
    Absolutely........more Eddie......I can't imagine why it isn't used all the time - it's the only version on my players.

supremester Guest
    I'm sure I can hear Eddie is doing both.

And, the best part is that it ain't no stinkin' modern remix. It's the original mono mix.

And, the best part is that it ain't no stinkin' modern remix. It's the original mono mix.
    Exactly! I prefer it that way.