[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    supremester Guest
    I always wonder what motivates people to obsess about Ross/Supremes fans? If y'all ain't interested, or are above such pullaver, what are you doing in this thread and why comment? Cuz you are just like us! Like Miss Ross told Baba Wawa, " Because I'm just like YOU, Barbara!"

Threads don't get hijacked. Try it - I'll help. Folks interested will respond, my guess is that most won't.

Do you think The Islanders' Drive for Five was hijacked by the 2-3-2 format?

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    What motivates these Supremes/Ross fans? What is the pathology that drives them to obsess about these women in particular? I've been clued in on some of it, which will upset them if I say it, but isn't liking the music enough?

I love The Beatles' music, and what the band collectively stood for, but it stops there. I don't spend my waking hours obsessing over every aspect of their personal lives and their interpersonal conflicts.

The opposite of staying out of these Supremes/Ross/Wilson threads is to hijack all of them with, say, sports talk. Frustrate them to the point where they finally give up.

supremester Guest
    3. Motown 25: Diana Ross allegedly "pushed" Mary Wilson. That incident, while it predates the Central Park Concert, got a lot of wheels turning.

Yup. Classic Ross behavior. Which makes me wonder why these Ross fans like her?

THIS fan likes her because exactly of that Classic Ross Behavior. Let's see........ Mary enters wearing red instead of the agreed upon color palette and is purportedly snow blinded with coke. She hijacks the song, a sultry, jazzy ballad and begins to sing three times louder than her partners, looking insanely inappropriate hopping around the stage like a flea on a hot griddle and singing the ballad like she does Green River. I guess Miss Ross cooda just stood there in awe of Mary's artistry instead trying to reel her in a bit. Maybe if she had known Mary's unforgivable breeches of professionalism would have her banned for life from all future live Motown Productions, she'd have just sat down and watched.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    The point is that the obsessed fans are persistent in discussing the same old things year after year. It's crazy!

Ralph has said that he couldn't outright ban Supremes talk because they are part of Detroit and Motown history, but I think he should do it temporarily, until further notice.
    These threads may be the same old things to us veterans, but the Forum also has to cater for new and younger members who may not have seen such discussions before. Maybe it would help if newer members were given instructions on how to access the archives, and were asked to study these before starting pointless new threads which do nothing more than cover old ground.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    These threads may be the same old things to us veterans, but the Forum also has to cater for new and younger members who may not have seen such discussions before. Maybe it would help if newer members were given instructions on how to access the archives, and were asked to study these before starting pointless new threads which do nothing more than cover old ground.
    I agree. But, I think it's more likely these people are simply pathologically obsessed and have a sick need to constantly talk about these singers.

No one is saying they can't talk about them here. We just want them to scale it back. Don't overwhelm the forum with mindless Supremes talk. These people are hell-bent on turning this into a Supremes forum, and they even enlisted a former moderator of a Supremes forum to come here and help them.

The only other thing these people do besides babble on about the Supremes and Diana Ross is bash Marv.

I don't know how that's ever going to stop. I guess that too much water has flowed under the bridge to be able to draw a line in the sand, if you can excuse the mixed metaphor. It's just so unpleasant for those not involved.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    LIAR! I was there - that was definitely Mary & Cindy, fool!
    If you listen right after the Archduke was shot, you can hear the Andantes mixed ever so low in the background with an audible "ooooh" that was clearly not Mary, Cindy, Flo, Lynda, Scherrie or Susaye. Clearly you're biased against the Archduke because he was in love with Berry.

supremester Guest
    Mrs. Doris Postle claims there was nothing between the Archduke and Mr. Gordy.......but yes, it's definitely The A's - with, I believe, Barbara Martin.

supremester Guest
    I seriously don't understand the issue with any topic - assuming it's respectful. I read many, participate in a few and pass on many - but I would never suggest that the forum be censored to just what interests me. Also, as it was mentioned, there are new members, younger members who weren't around for certain discussions. Why must their desire to discuss anything be ignored because it's already been discussed? If it's a rehash that holds no interest for you or me, can we not simply move on without complaining that it's already been talked about? Does it have to be about "us"?? I became active here 2 years ago and tried to find archived discussions with spotty luck. I know of new members who would love to discuss things that have been discussed - I think they should be free to bring them up. My axiom is: throw topics at the wall, the ones that stick, stick.
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I don't know how that's ever going to stop. I guess that too much water has flowed under the bridge to be able to draw a line in the sand, if you can excuse the mixed metaphor. It's just so unpleasant for those not involved.

I seriously don't understand the issue with any topic - assuming it's respectful. I read many, participate in a few and pass on many - but I would never suggest that the forum be censored to just what interests me. Also, as it was mentioned, there are new members, younger members who weren't around for certain discussions. Why must their desire to discuss anything be ignored because it's already been discussed? If it's a rehash that holds no interest for you or me, can we not simply move on without complaining that it's already been talked about? Does it have to be about "us"?? I became active here 2 years ago and tried to find archived discussions with spotty luck. I know of new members who would love to discuss things that have been discussed - I think they should be free to bring them up. My axiom is: throw topics at the wall, the ones that stick, stick.
    Like I said, no one is really wanting an end to the threads of certain female singers, just that people stop the personal attacks on other members cat-fighting over the singers, and, for my opinion, to ease up on the frequency of the threads about them.

All Ralph wants to do is to stop the personal attacks and insults, baiting, and the nonsense threads about the Supremes women.
    Last edited by soulster; 07-31-2014 at 06:53 PM.

supremester Guest
    To me, your comments such as referring to DR&TS topics/discussions as "babbling" "mindless" "nonsense threads" are not exactly respectful to those who enjoy these topics and might not think of themselves as mindless etc.

Additionally, your statements such as

" these people are simply pathologically obsessed and have a sick need to constantly talk about these singers" are interesting since you seem to enjoy talking about the fans as much as the fans enjoy talking about DR&TS.

Finally, and I mean this with all due respect, it seems quite paranoiac to assume that

" Don't overwhelm the forum with mindless Supremes talk. These people are hell-bent on turning this into a Supremes forum, and they even enlisted a former moderator of a Supremes forum to come here and help them."

Personally, I know on no one who wants to make this a Supremes forum and cannot think of a single reason why anyone would - people who only want to discuss Supremes would do so, but to suggest they would seek to stop, limit or curtail other topics seems implausible and would be a rather extreme reaction.

I think being respectful of everyone includes being respectful of their topics and discussions without denigrating, negatively categorizing or suggesting they are less than. Comments like these can be the seeds that grow into the name calling and insults we are seeking to extricate ourselves from.

Whoever started the original thread must have known the trouble it was going to cause.

I think being respectful of everyone includes being respectful of their topics and discussions without denigrating, negatively categorizing or suggesting they are less than. Comments like these can be the seeds that grow into the name calling and insults we are seeking to extricate ourselves from.
    Gregg I couldn’t agree with you more. Folks on SD who dislike Diana Ross cannot seem to stop themselves from commenting on and/or disrupting any thread about her. It’s just how it is here, sooner or later it gets ugly and that’s it. The sad part is that it takes so few to accomplish that ugliness. I do not need anyone to like Diana Ross as much as I do, but it sure would be nice if folks who didn’t like her just stayed away from threads about her.

I understand why so many people come to SD for information [[release dates etc.) but will not comment or discuss. I admire your willingness to take on the few folks here who have such a completely illogical obsession with Diana Ross fans that they find it necessary to continually tell us how much we should or shouldn’t like her or how much we should or shouldn’t talk about her. Their obsessive need to attempt to control Diana Ross fans and their inability to stay away from Diana Ross threads says everything about their issues and nothing about Diana Ross or her fans. I don’t have the time, desire or energy to defend saying something nice about someone I admire, but that’s me. Again, I admire you and others who cut through that, but it is not in my nature to do so.

Ralph seems to have had his fill of this insanity and I sincerely hope his newly announced policy will encourage respectful discussions that all will feel welcome to participate in. And that remarks like those referenced in your posts will not be considered “interesting” or “informative” and will instead be considered disrespectful and such posters will be shown the door. I believe the policy will work if it applied to everyone equally.
    Last edited by sophisticated_soul; 08-01-2014 at 07:45 AM.

I'm going to freeze this thread for a while before deleting. I think everyone now understands where I'm going and will hopefully cooperate. I'm not fond of banning people.