[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Im gonna Let me heart do the walking new video

this one i never seen before so who know what show this came from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P08awThcf9A

Yes, I saw this today. It's great. I believe it is from one of their many foreign television appearances that I know are out there.....somewhere!

I never saw this great quality. Scherrie was a great lead singer. Mary and sussye worked the bkg. Welll. I remember another mss appearance on tv aug 9 1976 on dinah singing the same song that appearance seems to have vanished. This edition of the supremes was a great dance performing group.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    I never saw this great quality. Scherrie was a great lead singer. Mary and sussye worked the bkg. Welll. I remember another mss appearance on tv aug 9 1976 on dinah singing the same song that appearance seems to have vanished. This edition of the supremes was a great dance performing group.
    That's the appearance I liked to see again the Dinah Show from Aug. 76

Love this song but these dresses got to go. Looks like their wearing a tent..LOL

supremester Guest
    Really. I forget how much I enjoy this song once it's on - but like you said, those nasty gowns got to go [[along with the choreography - what a mess!) Scherrie looks real cute, though. The fabric is great, but the cut is just so wrong. Maybe they were made for The Weather Girls and got delivered to the wrong address.

Well whoever picked those gowns must have liked what they were wearing. And im sure the supremes didnt mind because those gowns were pictured on t back of the hi energy album, and they also wore them on t merv griffin show in late 76 or early 77

I do not think Charlie Atkins had anything to do with the dance routine for this presentation.As for the gowns well Mary maybe be pregnant

Quote Originally Posted by Zantellor View Post
    I do not think Charlie Atkins had anything to do with the dance routine for this presentation.As for the gowns well Mary maybe be pregnant
    Mary was 6-7 months pregnant during this time.
    Last edited by marv2; 07-27-2014 at 07:28 AM.

1: These were gown for when Mary was pregnant, they were all Caftans, so they would all match.

2: They look worse in this particular video because the picture is "Stretched" from 4:3 into 16:9 aspect ratio, so they all appear short and wide, when they aren't in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    1: These were gown for when Mary was pregnant, they were all Caftans, so they would all match.

2: They look worse in this particular video because the picture is "Stretched" from 4:3 into 16:9 aspect ratio, so they all appear short and wide, when they aren't in reality.
    Great observation Jill.

before you jump to conclusions, maybe we need to find out the date first. the way this was filmed does look awkward. and since this song came out in 76 im assumed this was in the same period. and if that is the case, Mary wasnt pregnant. also Cholly Atkins left motown a few tears earlier so this clearly isnt his work.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    before you jump to conclusions, maybe we need to find out the date first. the way this was filmed does look awkward. and since this song came out in 76 im assumed this was in the same period. and if that is the case, Mary wasnt pregnant. also Cholly Atkins left motown a few tears earlier so this clearly isnt his work.
    This appears to be in 1977 when they were on their final European Tour which concluded with Mary's farewell show at the Drury Lane Theater in London. She was very pregnant at this time. Here is a clip of their final U.S. television appearance in March 1977. Mary is pregnant here as well. They also brought out her daughter Turkessa at the very end. Compare Turkessa's size/age to how she appears in the clip above:

Geoffrey Holder and Carmen DeLavallade took over the choreography for a while beginning in 1975, but this looks like the work of Damita Jo Freeman. The dance they are doing was called the "Bus Stop" and was considered a variation of "The Hustle" in some areas.

"The Bus Stop":

supremester Guest
    We don't know when this was filmed, so Mary's gestation calendar is in question, but she looks pregnant. I don't think it's stretched that much because their faces don't look as out of whack as the gowns - which can look great for 70's disco glam in still pics. Perhaps this was shot in '77 - so maybe Mary was pregnant then. Single releases in foreign countries were often as much as a year behind US dates.
    They needed someone with an eye to see the routines were often very bad on TV - there's no emphasis on song content. I keep forgetting Pedro was in charge, so Motown had no input - and it shows. I'm not blind to the reasons fans are outraged at the failure of the group - there's a lot of vocal talent on that stage. They should have had Mary do a ballad on every show.

Ok, this is a little cheesy, but you get the idea........hehehehehehe:

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post

That is a horrible stage presentation for a "group". Why would they have the Supreme's not only singing way in the back, but also in shadows so that you couldn't even see their faces?

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    We don't know when this was filmed, so Mary's gestation calendar is in question, but she looks pregnant. I don't think it's stretched that much because their faces don't look as out of whack as the gowns - which can look great for 70's disco glam in still pics. Perhaps this was shot in '77 - so maybe Mary was pregnant then. Single releases in foreign countries were often as much as a year behind US dates.
    They needed someone with an eye to see the routines were often very bad on TV - there's no emphasis on song content. I keep forgetting Pedro was in charge, so Motown had no input - and it shows. I'm not blind to the reasons fans are outraged at the failure of the group - there's a lot of vocal talent on that stage. They should have had Mary do a ballad on every show.
    No it was definitely shot in 1977. Mary's son Pedro Jr. was born in either August or September of 1977. She's pregnant with him in this clip. I think they look fine and that dance just great. This group of Supremes did far more dancing [[because of Disco?) than any of the previous groupings which made them more exciting to watch in my opinion.

I have to disagree. Their dancing was all over the place and looked corny. It doesn't matter what they were trying to do, the execution was never good. They looked good and sounded good, but the dancing wasn't good.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    That is a horrible stage presentation for a "group". Why would they have the Supreme's not only singing way in the back, but also in shadows so that you couldn't even see their faces?
    Motown, Pedro Ferrer and Mike Douglas was behind this staging of Mary's final TV performance. Why they decided to do it this way, I cannot honestly say other than the fact that it totally spotlights Mary, perhaps to the detriment of the other ladies.......

Motown, Pedro Ferrer and Mike Douglas was behind this staging of Mary's final TV performance. Why they decided to do it this way, I cannot honestly say other than the fact that it totally spotlights Mary, perhaps to the detriment of the other ladies.......
    I thought Motown had washed their hands of the group by this time.

It's stretched quite a bit. Television in 1977 was never in letterbox format... and this video clip isn't, either... the letterboxing was done when it was uploded to youtube. I think the choreograhpy is good, just not well executed. Mary is late on the first turn, Susaye is late on the second, they needed to be MUCH better rehearsed. The other problem is that Mary and Susaye don't look good together in choreography, because Mary looks like the jolly green giant next to her, and because their body language is so wildly divergent, especially the way they use their hands.
    Last edited by jillfoster; 07-27-2014 at 12:42 PM.

That's what Berry said in January 1970. Truth is as long as they were Motown Recording Artists, the company was always involved in some form or fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    It's stretched quite a bit. Television in 1977 was never in letterbox format... and this video clip isn't, either... the letterboxing was done when it was uploded to youtube. I think the choreograhpy is good, just not well executed. Mary is late on the first turn, Susaye is late on the second, they needed to be MUCH better rehearsed. The other problem is that Mary and Susaye don't look good together in choreography, because Mary looks like the jolly green giant next to her, and because their body language is so wildly divergent, especially the way they use their hands.
    I think the look of this clip also has something to do with it originally being broadcast on television in Europe.

That's what Berry said in January 1970. Truth is as long as they were Motown Recording Artists, the company was always involved in some form or fashion.
    It's good to hear that from you. In many of your posts, you say that the Seventies Supremes had difficulty getting hits because of lack of promotion and poor distribution.
    I've always felt that Motown remained involved with the Supremes. Distribution for all Motown records is identical and I had no trouble getting Supremes records. Also, as a businessman, why would Berry have an artist and then not try to keep him as popular and profitable as possible?

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    It's good to hear that from you. In many of your posts, you say that the Seventies Supremes had difficulty getting hits because of lack of promotion and poor distribution.
    I've always felt that Motown remained involved with the Supremes. Distribution for all Motown records is identical and I had no trouble getting Supremes records. Also, as a businessman, why would Berry have an artist and then not try to keep him as popular and profitable as possible?
    Twisting and adding may work for a dance or other, but not with my posts! I did not say Motown supported them or promoted them adequately. The distribution of records were NOT the same for all of it's artists. I had to hunt for several releases by the Supremes in the 70's. That is a good question, but it has been said more than once that Berry Gordy wanted to be rid of the Supremes in the 70's for a good while. Scherrie Payne has relayed stories of how DJ's and station programmers were told specificially to pull Supremes records in lieu of other Motown artists.
    Last edited by marv2; 07-27-2014 at 02:09 PM.

apparently not since they had another album outt in late 76 and this group of supremes had it the hardest learning those free style dance moves, that the previous members didnt. They had difficultl choreography, especially on let yourself go and driving wheel, keeping in tune with disco trend, and I loved watching there tvl perofmances from 75 to 77. As a matter of fact this group of supremes did better on the charts than the jml group, cindy was the bridge that led to the mss group and cindy participated in those difficult dance moves as well

apparently not since they had another album outt in late 76 and this group of supremes had it the hardest learning those free style dance moves, that the previous members didnt. They had difficultl choreography, especially on let yourself go and driving wheel, keeping in tune with disco trend, and I loved watching there tvl perofmances from 75 to 77. As a matter of fact this group of supremes did better on the charts than the jml group, cindy was the bridge that led to the mss group and cindy participated in those difficult dance moves as well
    Im gonna let my heart...... is a fabulous record, im glad it made the top 40 if nothing else and it was an even bigger disco national chart record number 3, and susayes lead on that song is frantically exciting as well, a wonderful end to a group that was suppose to have died yrs earlier all made possible by four supremes no less and the holland brothers.

I have to agree that this was shot overseas during the group's last tour before playing Drury Lane. If I'm not mistaken they performed in Germany and Holland before Drury. Mary looks pregnant here.

This would be mid 1977. Judging by the hairstyles and eye paint which came toward the end of 76.

None of the last Supremes singles sold well overseas.

I'd love to see the Dinah clip again also. They did Let My Heart wearing those tight ink swirl gowns from TCB.

Personally I loved the choreography. During the instrumental break I got nervous especially for Mary. The mikes were corded and any lady have tripped and had a nasty fall.

supremester Guest
    Although I've tried on more than one occasion to explain "distribution" to Marv, he won't listen. Not finding product in stores - especially Motown product in the 60's -80's, was the fault of the retailer not supporting the product. Motown's distribution system was legendary - especially for a small company. That was partly due to the aggressive & liberal payment & return terms offered to distributors and the popularity of it's "B" and "C" product that didn't chart, but still had some retail value. Hence, distributors would stock any Motown product - even from unproven artists because they knew they could take a chance and might not get burned. This is why there was often so much Motown product in cut out bins: the return policy was liberal enough and it was cost effective for them to make larger production orders and risk the loss on the other side.
    The 70's Supremes had enough interest that any stores Marv would go to in Detroit should have had the product so either it was sold out, or, they had been stuck with too much product in the past and couldn't move it. Generally, any new Motown product could be special ordered and received in the next shipment from almost any distributor in the USA. This way, IF a record hit regionally or nationally, stores could get immediate fulfillment from their closest supplier and get the ball rolling towards a hit. The only exception I ever saw was I Should Be Proud. Even though it never charted, it should have been available locally from Portland or if needed, Seattle distributors. It took nearly four months to get the 45 as a special order from the biggest record store in town that normally would have had it even if it hadn't charted. Very unusual. I never saw any glitch in Rossless Supremes releases anywhere.
    It would make zero sense for Motown to presss records and not distribute them - as those costs were not passed on to the act. By 1973, the inanity of the conspiracy to kill The Supremes took on a whole new meaning as Miss Ross was a global solo superstar and no longer even thought of as an ex Supreme. She had #1 albums, #1 singles, #1 movies and sellout concerts around the world. JMC and their successors no longer posed that dreaded threat to Miss Ross' iffy solo career - LOL, and hence, with declining sales and losing acts, Motown had every reason to try to get a hit on The Supremes.

supremester Guest
    Motown WAS involved - as they made the decisions as to who would cover for sick Jean - when to cancel, when not to. I don't think they were involved with the act beyond that after Pedro got involved as you can see the big change in presentation [[on TV anyway) after Jean left - and not for the better. They needed a stylist desperately - and/or someone with vision for staging. Mary should never have been in the middle of MSS - visually, they look ridiculous - add it it that less-than-precise, over the top, distracting choreography, and you have an amateurish mess. Mary should have worn flats and/or been on the side. Ditto when Mary is singing her ballads - Scherrie & Susaye should have not moved much, if at all. It looks stagey and is distracting. They are there to sing BG and look pretty - there's no need for them to be striking poses and moving in slow-mo while Mary is nailing a ballad. Like Impossible Dream on Ed Sullivan - perfectly staged with an emphasis on the song.

Perhaps wife beater Pedro wasn't the ideal choice to manage the group - but Mary saved Berry's percentage by giving it to herself instead of to Berry - so she benefited financially. Motown still double dipped on their bookings, I assume, but no longer triple dipped.

Although I've tried on more than one occasion to explain "distribution" to Marv, he won't listen. Not finding product in stores - especially Motown product in the 60's -80's, was the fault of the retailer not supporting the product. Motown's distribution system was legendary - especially for a small company. That was partly due to the aggressive & liberal payment & return terms offered to distributors and the popularity of it's "B" and "C" product that didn't chart, but still had some retail value. Hence, distributors would stock any Motown product - even from unproven artists because they knew they could take a chance and might not get burned. This is why there was often so much Motown product in cut out bins: the return policy was liberal enough and it was cost effective for them to make larger production orders and risk the loss on the other side.
    The 70's Supremes had enough interest that any stores Marv would go to in Detroit should have had the product so either it was sold out, or, they had been stuck with too much product in the past and couldn't move it. Generally, any new Motown product could be special ordered and received in the next shipment from almost any distributor in the USA. This way, IF a record hit regionally or nationally, stores could get immediate fulfillment from their closest supplier and get the ball rolling towards a hit. The only exception I ever saw was I Should Be Proud. Even though it never charted, it should have been available locally from Portland or if needed, Seattle distributors. It took nearly four months to get the 45 as a special order from the biggest record store in town that normally would have had it even if it hadn't charted. Very unusual. I never saw any glitch in Rossless Supremes releases anywhere.
    It would make zero sense for Motown to presss records and not distribute them - as those costs were not passed on to the act. By 1973, the inanity of the conspiracy to kill The Supremes took on a whole new meaning as Miss Ross was a global solo superstar and no longer even thought of as an ex Supreme. She had #1 albums, #1 singles, #1 movies and sellout concerts around the world. JMC and their successors no longer posed that dreaded threat to Miss Ross' iffy solo career - LOL, and hence, with declining sales and losing acts, Motown had every reason to try to get a hit on The Supremes.
    Just as with the automobile industry, they melt down current product and reuse the raw material for the new model year! That's what Motown and other record companies did with records that were pressed but returned.

Also, if Mr. Ferrer wants to know who you are, what should I tell him?

I thought the black & silver robe-dresses were an interesting idea and choice--but they just didn't work for The Supremes and that overly busy routine. It's a whole lotta dress and needs a whole lotta height to pull it off--much too much for Scherrie and Susaye, and even for Mary who gets done in by those huge bat-sleeves. Everything was out of proportion: maybe the video; certainly the dresses and choreography. But the black & silver combo was a nice touch that managed not to get completely lost.

Designer Bob Mackie always knew what he was doing, and his robe-dresses were real stand-outs because of his ability to merge a 1930s silhouette with that of the current day style--wonderfully shown here on Lauren Hutton in an early '80s Charles Revson [[Revlon) ad:

Attachment 8314

I don't think a modern take on the robe-dress gets any better than this--loose, casual, and yet slinky & sexy as all get-out.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 07-27-2014 at 09:22 PM.

Supremester, you know a whole lot on dstribtion of product! And thanks for ur input. If i am looking for a record and i cant find it in my local record retailer i guess it the fault of the distributor not me the retailer, and thankfully the high energy album was everywhere when it came out, not tne case of bad weather. U also make another valid point, mary should have been situated on the end for visual purposes.

tribution

Frank, if you couldn't find a Motown record at your local record retailer in the sixties and seventies, it was the fault of the retailer, not the distributor. Motown probably had the best distribution of any independent label and they had the best distributors.

In the NY Metro area, their distributor was Alpha Distributors. They distributed Motown and other independent labels to the local record shops and also to the many independent one stops who independent retailers could also buy from. There was always Motown product available. And speaking specifically of Seventies Supremes, there was always product available and the store that I was familiar with in the area all had the product.
    If a store did not have the latest Supremes record, it was the fault of the retail buyer or owner. IT was not the fault of the distributions.

Just as with the automobile industry, they melt down current product and reuse the raw material for the new model year! That's what Motown and other record companies did with records that were pressed but returned.

Well, that is the first time I heard of record companies removing the labels from records, melting them down and using them to make new records. My experience tells me that they punched holes in them and sold them at a discount to cut out distributors like Scorpio who then sold them back to retailers at a cheap price. If they also melted down records and made new releases out of them, it is news to me.

Now, as far as your statement about the auto industry melting down current product and re-using the raw materiel for the new model year, you may be right.

Last year, I went to my local car dealer to buy a leftover 2013 auto. I figured that it would be discounted and I would save some money. But the salesman said that he couldn't sell it to me because he was sending it back to Detroit where it would be melted down and then they were going to use the raw materiel to build a car for the new model year.

..with the automobile industry, they melt down current product and reuse the raw material for the new model year!
    Supremster has repeatedly asked you to meet him for coffee. He asked you publicly on these boards just as you asked him publicly on these boards what to tell Mr. Ferrer if he wants to know who Supremester is. Why don't you accept the invitation and bring Mr. Ferrer with you.? Then he can see who Supremester is in person.
    Last edited by milven; 07-28-2014 at 12:09 AM.

Frank, if you couldn't find a Motown record at your local record retailer in the sixties and seventies, it was the fault of the retailer, not the distributor. Motown probably had the best distribution of any independent label and they had the best distributors.

In the NY Metro area, their distributor was Alpha Distributors. They distributed Motown and other independent labels to the local record shops and also to the many independent one stops who independent retailers could also buy from. There was always Motown product available. And speaking specifically of Seventies Supremes, there was always product available and the store that I was familiar with in the area all had the product.
    If a store did not have the latest Supremes record, it was the fault of the retail buyer or owner. IT was not the fault of the distributions.
    my name is franjoy derived from frances not frank, also if i go to 3 record stores and cant find bad weather, then when the high energy and single come out and i find it on tne first try I guess I am not to blame for failng to find bad weather when it first charted at 87 right.
    Last edited by franjoy56; 07-27-2014 at 11:19 PM. Reason: spelling error

I was in awe of this recording and couldn't believe my ears when I first heard it. I would have used foot stomps instead of those drums at the beginning but still a good record. The appearance on this one I just can't comment on. Pedro and Tommy should have just let Mary and Flo careers alone.

my name is franjoy derived from frances not frank, also if i go to 3 record stores and cant find bad weather, then when the high energy and single come out and i find it on tne first try I guess I am not to blame for failng to find bad weather when it first charted at 87 right.
    Sorry about the name error Franjoy. No, you are not to blame for not finding Bad Weather if you went to three record stores. But the buyers of those record stores weren't doing such a great job if they did not stock at least a few of the latest Supremes release - especially one that involved Stevie Wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    ... Pedro and Tommy should have just let Mary and Flo careers alone.
    I always wondered why entertainers allow their husbands to manage their careers. Most of them do a poor job and some even bankrupt their wives. Gladys, Mary, Doris Day, Flo, Melba and so many have been done in by their husbands. I think the husbands feel emasculated because the wife earns more money and so they let their husband manage their career to make them feel important and manly.

supremester Guest
    Tell the chicken sh%t bully who beats women a third his size that I'll be in NYC in 3 weeks at The Hilton Garden Inn Times Square on 48Th & 8th - Room 301, and perhaps again for BergenPac - I'd be happy to meet the big tough guy who beats the wife of his children before she goes onstage to earn him spending money since he couldn't make a dime without her.

Some records were melted down - some became cutouts.

supremester Guest
    I do know a lot because I bought a lot of fringe product and was very close to opening Radical Records in 1984. We were going to recording booths and video booths at our store, gular job. but I decided it was too much to do that and my reqular job and backed out in time. Wooda been fun, though.

There were 2 types of distribution: direct from manufacturer for large accounts buying a box of Touch LPs [[Like Virgin), and from wholesalers [[distributors) who sold to smaller accounts [[most record stores) and rack jobbers who filled record bins with in demand products in stores that had just a small amount of space and no personnel for the department [[like Target or Kmart) - a guy would come in once a week or 2, take inventory, fill what he needed from his van and ordered what he didn't have for delivery the following week.

If a record store does not have your item, they have chosen not to carry it. There are only a few distributors left, but they can get anything if they don't have it.

Supremester, you know a whole lot on dstribtion of product! And thanks for ur input. If i am looking for a record and i cant find it in my local record retailer i guess it the fault of the distributor not me the retailer, and thankfully the high energy album was everywhere when it came out, not tne case of bad weather. U also make another valid point, mary should have been situated on the end for visual purposes.

tribution

I do know a lot because I bought a lot of fringe product and was very close to opening Radical Records in 1984. We were going to recording booths and video booths at our store, gular job. but I decided it was too much to do that and my reqular job and backed out in time. Wooda been fun, though.

There were 2 types of distribution: direct from manufacturer for large accounts buying a box of Touch LPs [[Like Virgin), and from wholesalers [[distributors) who sold to smaller accounts [[most record stores) and rack jobbers who filled record bins with in demand products in stores that had just a small amount of space and no personnel for the department [[like Target or Kmart) - a guy would come in once a week or 2, take inventory, fill what he needed from his van and ordered what he didn't have for delivery the following week.

If a record store does not have your item, they have chosen not to carry it. There are only a few distributors left, but they can get anything if they don't have it.
    Well today its totally different those retail outlets for cds have disappeared the best was j and r now thats gone its either target or amazon, For me and i prefer amazon.

Tell the chicken sh%t bully who beats women a third his size that I'll be in NYC in 3 weeks at The Hilton Garden Inn Times Square on 48Th & 8th - Room 301, and perhaps again for BergenPac - I'd be happy to meet the big tough guy who beats the wife of his children before she goes onstage to earn him spending money since he couldn't make a dime without her.

Some records were melted down - some became cutouts.
    Now when you accuse me of saying unflattering things about Miss Ross, I want you to remember this post here.

I always wondered why entertainers allow their husbands to manage their careers. Most of them do a poor job and some even bankrupt their wives. Gladys, Mary, Doris Day, Flo, Melba and so many have been done in by their husbands. I think the husbands feel emasculated because the wife earns more money and so they let their husband manage their career to make them feel important and manly.
    Then it was a good thing that Berry never married Diane! Whew!

That makes even less sense than your statement about Detroit melting down current cars to use the raw materiel for the new model year. The men who were managing their wives had no knowledge of the music industry. One of them went from chauffer to managing his wife with no qualifications.

So how do you justify this statement:

That makes even less sense than your statement about Detroit melting down current cars to use the raw materiel for the new model year. The men who were managing their wives had no knowledge of the music industry. One of them went from chauffer to managing his wife with no qualifications.

So how do you justify this statement:
    Learn how to spell "material" then ask me again. Berry was a former automobile factory assembly line worker that had to learn the record business. When he began he got ripped off constantly. The others would have had to have time to learn the business as well.

Learn how to spell "material" then ask me again. Berry was a former automobile factory assembly line worker that had to learn the record business. When he began he got ripped off constantly. The others would have had to have time to learn the business as well.
    There are two spellings of materiel and material. However, in the sentence that I used, the preferred spelling is material, as you said. So , thank you for correcting me.

Having read Berry's book and seen his Broadway musical, I am familiar -but far from an expert - with how he started in the record business. As a songwriter, he was ripped off a lot and that is one of the reasons that he wanted to start his own label. Comparing Berry to Tommy and Pedro is a bit of a stretch.

I wonder, if, when Berry worked on the car assembly line, he ever had an opportunity to work in the department where they melt down current cars to use the raw material to build cars for the new model year.

There are two spellings of materiel and material. However, in the sentence that I used, the preferred spelling is material, as you said. So , thank you for correcting me.

Having read Berry's book and seen his Broadway musical, I am familiar -but far from an expert - with how he started in the record business. As a songwriter, he was ripped off a lot and that is one of the reasons that he wanted to start his own label. Comparing Berry to Tommy and Pedro is a bit of a stretch.

I wonder, if, when Berry worked on the car assembly line, he ever had an opportunity to work in the department where they melt down current cars to use the raw material to build cars for the new model year.
    I don't know [[whether Berry had the chance to work in the foundry or where they melted down the previous model years cars....) I do know that the lot where they bring the cars that are to be melted down is off North bound I-75 about half way between Toledo and Detroit, not far from the Meijers distribution center. I have been passing it most of my life and had always been amazed at the massive number of cars parked there. My father, who worked for General Motors explained to me some years ago what they did with all those new cars.......

Berry's musical is worthless in regards of sharing any real information about his life or Motown. His book left a lot of things out as well [[which is his prerogative). I am a bit surprised that you did not know that they melted down cars or vinyl records for the reuse of the material.
    Last edited by marv2; 07-28-2014 at 01:37 PM.