[REMOVE ADS]

Susaye and the Supremes

Sorry if this is redundant considering recent posts but I just stumbled upon it and cant help but wondering why on earth was it not released as a single?? Thoughts?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKEdTikamG4

LadyLola Guest
    I thought it was.

supremester Guest
    There's no hook. No chorus. No build. No bridge. No pull to radio. It is an interesting track and well constructed for an LP cut, but her voice is burried too deeply into the mix and over processed too much for the lyrics to be discerned enough to grab listener's attention on the radio. With a lot of editing and remixing - there might be a single in there, but nowhere near in it's present form. If you look at the hit songs from 1976/77, this wouldn't stand a chance of getting airplay.

This song did what it was intended to do: draw attention to the album in the clubs - which it did. Contrary to those who thrive on boo-hoo-ing Motown's lack of promotion and other inanity like a desire to kill off the group, this 12" released over 6 years after Up The Ladder To The Roof - IS, in fact, stong, effective promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    There's no hook. No chorus. No build. No bridge. No pull to radio. this wouldn't stand a chance of getting airplay.
    No there isn't a standard hook as in "Baby... Baby- Baby Where Did Our Love Go"but it's
    a great production anyway. It starts out with a nice funk groove and indeed builds with the
    electric piano, bass and strings moving into a ,rare for me, enjoyable disco arrangement. The chorus is the phrase High Inergy itself and Susaye's incredible range and vocals are
    prominent enough in the mix to make me regret that I gave up on following the Supremes
    post the Jean Terrell period. I enjoyed Susaye in other settings. Having never heard this before today I think I'm going to do something I never thought I 'd do again in this life:
    Look for later day Supremes releases. I just scared myself!.....

This song and especially this mix were perfect for an album cut. Some of the best material on albums is not commercial enough to zoom up the charts. The general public rarely understands true artistry anyway. There was a lot of unsolicited head bobbin' and foot floating while chilling back in '76. Most of the album falls into this category. The alternate mixes by Russ Terrana are incredible.

An Awesome song but I would of had a hard time dancing to it at the clubs.