[REMOVE ADS]

Lulu Guest

Smoke's New Album Up for Pre-Sale!

Since Smokey and Diana often state how they have been dear friends for so long and care about each other, am I the only one surprised that Diana does not appear on this duet CD?

Even recording a single track as a guest artist now and then would be appreciated by fans and continue to underline her legacy as a recording artist.

I have long thought that a duets CD would be a great way for Diana herself to return to recording. I think she could do an outstanding job with some of the current crop as well as a few classic artists. Not a complaint ... I am just saying I cannot believe that Diana cannot have a record deal if she wants it. Just look at the crowd reaction to current two year tour.
    Last edited by longtimefan; 07-24-2014 at 05:07 PM.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Since Smokey and Diana often state how they have been dear friends for so long and care about each other, am I the only one surprised that Diana does not appear on this duet CD?

Even recording a single track as a guest artist now and then would be appreciated by fans and continue to underline her legacy as a recording artist.

Not a complaint ... just saying'...
    I understand. Stevie ain't around either. He also apparently didn't fulfill the alleged appearance he was to make on Dionne's 97th Dionne Sings Dionne With Friends Volume 30 CD. Diana's last duets were with Rod Stewart and Westlife although some count Brian May given his work on "Crazy Little Thing Called Love"!

Lulu

What does your comment about Brian May mean? Was he on her version of that song???

If you look at the track listing, David Foster, purposely stayed away from any Motown association. I absolutely loved "Time Flies When You're Having Fun" and his standards album. This one, based on the iTunes samples, is not made for me. I'll probably buy it to be supportive, but, I cannot imagine it being played often, if at all. But, I am clear, it was designed for a mass market, not necessarily a hardcore Smokey fan, of which category, I think I fall in. I hope it sells tonnage.....despite my own personal taste.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Lulu

What does your comment about Brian May mean? Was he on her version of that song???
    Brian May plays guitar on the track. Go back and watch the "making of DVD".

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Lulu

He was. It wasn't on the US release though as they replaced it with "Take My Breath Away" [[yawn). It's not my favorite and I don't care for the arrangement. His solo is the only saving grace!

Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    i understand. Stevie ain't around either. He also apparently didn't fulfill the alleged appearance he was to make on dionne's 97th dionne sings dionne with friends volume 30 cd.
    lol!!

Lol why are people expecting fellow Motown acts on Smokey's album? Is that a prerequisite? Stevie nor Diana featured Motown acts on their last albums either.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Lol why are people expecting fellow Motown acts on Smokey's album? Is that a prerequisite? Stevie nor Diana featured Motown acts on their last albums either.
    No, but it's not a crazy question - this is a duets album [[Smokey's first one, I think, but I could be wrong?), with the please-read-something-into-this title Smokey and Friends, and there's no Motown alumni on the guest list, so I'd say a couple of slightly quizzically raised eyebrows might be expected [[although no more than that).

supremester Guest
    I'm also surprised that Smokey and Miss Ross haven't done more together but I'm sure they have their reasons. There's talk that Stevie, Smokey & Miss Ross will be doing a tune together at Evan's wedding - IF that's true, maybe it will lead to something.

Aretha Franklin isn't on this duets album either and she's been talking about trying to sing with Smokey since forever. LOL I know Ree ain't Motown but she IS from Detroit and has known Smoke as long as he's known Diana [[or just about, I think Aretha said she met Smokey at 10 when they were both living in North End).