[REMOVE ADS]

Does This Song Sound Like A Motown Song?

One of my favorites.

Well Jobeterob .... NO .... not to my ears at least ....

But then neither did this one ....

Yet it was .....

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Well Jobeterob .... NO .... not to my ears at least ....
    Neither to mine, Job do you know the Counts' version ?

Rob....nope....don't really hear the "sound" that you do.....

I think for me it "moves" like a Motown song ~ and maybe it's the sax. Thanks for the other version and the comments.

"Jazzman" by Carole King does not sound anything like Motown. Not even close!

"Indiana Wants Me" does sound like Motown. R. Dean Taylor's guitar sounds too much like his playing on "Love Child", and the drums are right out of a Jackson 5 record.

No, no, and no

LOL..............well, let's change the question after all the "no's"

Do we like the song? Wasn't it Carole King at her best? Doesn't Carole King have soul?

The song still moves like the best of Motown, like You Can't Hurry Love!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    LOL..............well, let's change the question after all the "no's"

Do we like the song? Wasn't it Carole King at her best? Doesn't Carole King have soul?

A. Yes, Carole has soul. She has written with soul, written soul - "Up On The Roof", "Oh No, Not My Baby", "[[You Make Me Feel) Like A Natural Woman", sings with all of her strength of her timbre and voice, heart and soul, with soul.

B. But, as for me, Sorry, "Jazzman"'s not it for me. I am more of a "So Far Away" or a "You've Got A Friend" prefer-er, or the often forgotten "It Might As Well Rain Until September".
    Last edited by Ngroove; 07-22-2014 at 07:03 PM.

RossHolloway Guest
    I know this is "off artist", but was listening to Pandora today, and this song came on, some of the music structure remind me of an HDH/Supreme's record circa '65.. Stop!/Back In My Arms Again..

I like It Might As Well Rain Until September a lot too; and like comparing the version between Carole and Helen Shapiro.

I like the strength with which Carole can sing; there are some good Youtube live clips.

First: I dig "Jazzman".

I love the song. Always have.

The songs do not compare, and have entirely different grooves. Oh geez! What a way to turn this into a Supremes thread. But, it's your thread, so knock yourself out.

[QUOTE=RossHolloway;242941]I know this is "off artist", but was listening to Pandora today, and this song came on, some of the music structure remind me of an HDH/Supreme's record circa '65.. Stop!/Back In My Arms Again..

To my ears, the musical hook at 0:08-0:15, 0:54-0:58, and 1:35-1:42 does sound like that in "Stop! In the Name of Love". But "Heartaches Away My Boy" is copyright 1964, and "Stop!..." is an early Jan. 65 recording/early Feb. single. Hmmh????

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post

To my ears, the musical hook at 0:08-0:15, 0:54-0:58, and 1:35-1:42 does sound like that in "Stop! In the Name of Love". But "Heartaches Away My Boy" is copyright 1964, and "Stop!..." is an early Jan. 65 recording/early Feb. single. Hmmh????
    I think that 1964 copyright date on the label refers to the label design itself rather than the recording Carole. Most discographies have "Heartaches Away My Boy" released in early 1966. Cameo/Parkway seemed to do that.

Roger

Looking at other Parkway releases in close numerical proximity also indicates a 1966 release date for Christine Cooper.

One of my favorites.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  21.1 KB
    No. it doesn't sound to me like a Motown song. Certainly no more than almost all non-Motown songs. It may have one element out of 50 that sounds "Motownish". But that could be said about most songs.

"Lucky To Be Loved By You" by Emannuel Lasky sounds like a Motown cut. So does "Talking About My Girl" by The Parliaments, "Me Without You" by Mary Wells, "Poor Unfortunate Me" by J.J. Barnes, But no Carole king song sounds like Motown.

please listen to, if you can find, Carol Kings release on Dimension "School Bells Are Ringing" she is trying to sing like Little Eva.