[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I have a question that always wondered about. Were all of the Vandellas signed as artist or was it just Martha and she just hired them. Ive heard Martha said only she was signed. But i also heard Rosland say she was signed along with Annette. The only one i wouldnt think is signed would be Lois as Betty and Sandra was already at motown. any thoughts?
    My understanding is that Martha, Roz, Annette, and [[later) Betty were signed to Motown as "Vandellas". Once Betty left [[and replaced with Lois) and once Roz left [[and replaced with Sandy), these were Vandellas of Martha's employ.

It makes you wonder how they got paid. And also makes you wonder: did no one at Motown have any interest/input into this girl group, after 1967?

I'm amazed at how Motown let Martha take control of the group in terms of hiring and firing.

LadyLola Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I'm amazed at how Motown let Martha take control of the group in terms of hiring and firing.
    Well at one point she was pretty much the big queen of Motown other than Mary Wells and that D. Ross woman. Sad that Martha is such a hot mess these days.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    My understanding is that Martha, Roz, Annette, and [[later) Betty were signed to Motown as "Vandellas". Once Betty left [[and replaced with Lois) and once Roz left [[and replaced with Sandy), these were Vandellas of Martha's employ.

It makes you wonder how they got paid. And also makes you wonder: did no one at Motown have any interest/input into this girl group, after 1967?
    I'm inclined to think this is the case myself. By 1967, Gordy had pretty much lost interest in the group and probably was happy enough for Martha to manage hiring/firing/payroll/etc. for her Vandellas. He and Martha had a long history of butting heads and we all know the story of his moving the operation to California and not bothering to tell Martha about it.