[REMOVE ADS]

American Bandstand Jackson 5 confusion

Ok... here's the video footage, everything seems kosher about it, but Dick Clark is talking about a platinum record in 1970? Platinum records didn't exist until 1976! I'm having a WTF moment right now!

On top of that, Motown didn't submit sales data to the RIAA, as they weren't members. I suspect it's a doctored clip. I wouldn't put anything past Dick Clark or his organization.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    On top of that, Motown didn't submit sales data to the RIAA, as they weren't members. I suspect it's a doctored clip. I wouldn't put anything past Dick Clark or his organization.
    I don't see how it can be, he's wearing the same clothes in the inrtoduction, that is certainly the set of AB from 1970. I HAVE seen them doctor clips many times, and I was looking for that, but I don't see it in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    I don't see how it can be, he's wearing the same clothes in the inrtoduction, that is certainly the set of AB from 1970. I HAVE seen them doctor clips many times, and I was looking for that, but I don't see it in this case.
    It is possible that someone overdubbed his voice from another clip that was done in 1976 or later.

No one was talking about platinum records in 1970.

I don't know that Platinum record business was done and at this point don't care...I just
    appreciate the footage. The J5 deserved every bit of the success they achieved!...

The point is that the DC clip was doctored because there was no such thing as platinum certification in 1970. Gold, yes. Platinum, no. And, again, Motown wasn't a member of the RIAA back then. It was probably all part of him trying to keep egos [[and his profits) in check.

There is also a Diamond certification that was created in the 90s.

Jackie is the ONLY one out of uniform!!!! I wonder why???

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Ok... here's the video footage, everything seems kosher about it, but Dick Clark is talking about a platinum record in 1970? Platinum records didn't exist until 1976! I'm having a WTF moment right now!

Not only that, Michael fibbed about his age. He said he was 9 when he was actually 11. Remember seeing this episode when it originally broadcast and I was 9 and he was a couple of years older then me.
    Last edited by marv2; 07-25-2014 at 09:36 AM.

Soulster [[or anyone else who feels like him) what did you mean by you wouldnt put anything past the DC organization? Is there something shady they have done in the past or you mean the fact that they are so overprotective of their films. May Dick Clark RIP but like another Clark [[Dave Clark) these two waited SO long to put things out where they could have made TONS of money. They waited to the point where the audience [[or part of the audience for these markets) faded away. I can remember Dave Clark Five fans itching for reissues for years in the 90s and it didnt happen. Also I didnt know Dick Clarks company doctored films. Please explain if there is an explanation.

The gold record that Dick Clark is holding is not an RIAA certified record. Motown gave the J5 the record. Record labels have done that since the forties when the first gold record was presented by RCA to Glenn Miller.

So possibly- even though RIAA Platinum records did not yet exist- Dick Clark was referring to a platinum record that Motown was going to give them for selling two million singles.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Soulster [[or anyone else who feels like him) what did you mean by you wouldnt put anything past the DC organization? Is there something shady they have done in the past or you mean the fact that they are so overprotective of their films. May Dick Clark RIP but like another Clark [[Dave Clark) these two waited SO long to put things out where they could have made TONS of money. They waited to the point where the audience [[or part of the audience for these markets) faded away. I can remember Dave Clark Five fans itching for reissues for years in the 90s and it didnt happen. Also I didnt know Dick Clarks company doctored films. Please explain if there is an explanation.
    Dick Clark isn't the great guy so many people think he was. He was actually vindictive and bigoted. I would not put it past him or his organization to do something underhanded.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    The gold record that Dick Clark is holding is not an RIAA certified record. Motown gave the J5 the record. Record labels have done that since the forties when the first gold record was presented by RCA to Glenn Miller.

So possibly- even though RIAA Platinum records did not yet exist- Dick Clark was referring to a platinum record that Motown was going to give them for selling two million singles.
    Now, that sounds plausible. Clark did mention in the video that Motown issued the record, not the RIAA. The plaque certainly does not resemble the RIAA form of award.

I recall when Dick Clark put together a show to rival Soul Train, Soul Unlimited, but thankfully with pressure from Don Cornelius, Jesse Jackson and Clarence Avant, that show was cancelled after only three episodes. But that's another story for another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by funkyone71 View Post
    I recall when Dick Clark put together a show to rival Soul Train, Soul Unlimited, but thankfully with pressure from Don Cornelius, Jesse Jackson and Clarence Avant, that show was cancelled after only three episodes. But that's another story for another thread.
    This was the show with Buster Jones as the host:

Apparently, he put that show together only after he tried to get rid of Don Cornelius so he could take Soul Train.

True Soulster! I read that he had a meeting with Don and wanted to put Soul Train on ABC with one catch: he would buy Soul Train and own it. Thankfully, Don said "No way!"

True Soulster! I read that he had a meeting with Don and wanted to put Soul Train on ABC with one catch: he would buy Soul Train and own it. Thankfully, Don said "No way!"
    It would have been great to have Soul Train on a major network, but that, coupled with DC having artistic control would have destroyed it, let along removing Don from the show.

During the late 60s and early 70s, the mainstream [[read: White) media had no clue how to reach Black audiences [[they still don't). Many of them thought the best way was to simply buy them, as even suggested in The Harvard Report on Black music.

Is that the same Buster Jones who was a recording artist? He had singles on Sure-Shot and Phil-L.A. of Soul.

Best,

Mark