[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson on Profiles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2OVTHIJwI4 She speaks of her book getting published, her Up Close show, and RTL.

Very interesting and well done interview. Thanks Luke.

Youre welcome Marv. I agree. Great interview.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Youre welcome Marv. I agree. Great interview.
    Mary is one the most adept at giving interviews of the Motown artists.

Doesn't she contradict herself here. In the infamous 20/20 interview, she says it is not about the money, and that she makes a million dollars a year. In this interview, she says it was all about the money and that she would have to be paid one third, or MORE if she were to participate in a future tour

Although we accepted that there would be no reunion years ago, that statement put the nail in the coffin.

And to dismiss Sherrie and Lynda as "it wasn't a group. It was Diane and two singers" is disrespectful to the seventies group. They, too, were Supremes and brought a lot of joy to the Supremes fans.

The original idea of the tour was to have all the Supremes participate. That would have been a reunion tour. It didn't happen for obvious reasons and the tour was rebranded as The Return To Love Tour.

I would have loved to see a reunion tour, but after the build up of a possible reunion tour, I was disappointed and decided to skip the Return to Love Tour.

I'm a little disappointed in myself for posting this, since the subject has been discussed to death. But I did it, so I'll just have to live with it

Milven - I also found Mary's reference to "two singers" to be jarring and dismissive--especially when both Lynda and Scherrie were part of the group at the same time as Mary.

Name:  JLL Motown 2002 205.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  92.0 KB

I took this picture..a long time ago!

A Temps song comes to mind....."Isn't She Pretty"
    Last edited by theboyfromxtown; 07-21-2014 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post

Now that is a NICE picture. Thanks theboyfromxtown.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Milven - I also found Mary's reference to "two singers" to be jarring and dismissive--especially when both Lynda and Scherrie were part of the group at the same time as Mary.
    I wasn't crazy about it either but it is what it is and I'm not getting into it on here.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Doesn't she contradict herself here. In the infamous 20/20 interview, she says it is not about the money, and that she makes a million dollars a year. In this interview, she says it was all about the money and that she would have to be paid one third, or MORE if she were to participate in a future tour

Although we accepted that there would be no reunion years ago, that statement put the nail in the coffin.

And to dismiss Sherrie and Lynda as "it wasn't a group. It was Diane and two singers" is disrespectful to the seventies group. They, too, were Supremes and brought a lot of joy to the Supremes fans.

The original idea of the tour was to have all the Supremes participate. That would have been a reunion tour. It didn't happen for obvious reasons and the tour was rebranded as The Return To Love Tour.

I would have loved to see a reunion tour, but after the build up of a possible reunion tour, I was disappointed and decided to skip the Return to Love Tour.

I'm a little disappointed in myself for posting this, since the subject has been discussed to death. But I did it, so I'll just have to live with it
    What it is is that she just gets tired of people always asking her about a reunion, RTL etc and never asking Diane so responded in a quick, dissmissary way.

supremester Guest
    Sensational pic - wowza! What year was it?

I think it was about September 1990....

I think it was about September 1990....
    Was this taken at the Motown convention held in Detroit that year?

supremester Guest
    Mary gives excellent interviews and she keeps getting better. Very entertaining interviewee. She clearly loves the attention and the spotlight and has become a treat to watch. If she would only tell the truth and speak from the heart, it would be perfect, but she contradicts herself so often, and stretches the truth so effortlessly that she forgets what she said last time. Like my bud's mom used to say, "A lie don't care who tell it!"

She can't make her mind up if it's about the money - or not about the money. Can't decide if it needs to be fair, needs to be equal, MORE than equal, or Diane deserves more because she's a huge star. She'll say, and has, said it all numerous times. Reminds me of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY-zmJ1VCQI

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Mary is one the most adept at giving interviews of the Motown artists.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Yes Reese. I have pics of Mary with Claudette too

When The Supremes first performed at the Apollo Theatre, they were somewhat dismissively [[although mostly due to space limitations) lumped into the "& Others" on the theatre's marquee.

Mary's reference to Lynda and Scherrie as "two singers" rather than by name harkens back to that marquee. And I found it to be an unfortunate reminder, and it spoke a whole lot more than 2 names ever would have brought to mind.

The video clip is of its own time, and what was then doesn't mean it's what is now. But the clip still has its interest for showing what was.

Yes, I mentioned this several times which made me smell something rotten surrounding this. Had nothing to do with creativity, input, sister love. Diana knew it was about the mighty green $$ with Mary and that is why she stepped aside. As much as fans would like to sing and dance and jump up and down and say "What About The Fans" ? It just wasn't !!

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Yes, I mentioned this several times which made me smell something rotten surrounding this. Had nothing to do with creativity, input, sister love. Diana knew it was about the mighty green $$ with Mary and that is why she stepped aside. As much as fans would like to sing and dance and jump up and down and say "What About The Fans" ? It just wasn't !!
    When the rtl tour first happened i was disappointed mary and cindy were not on the train, as t producerz refused marys req. For 4 million, but as time went by, im not as upset about it, because scherrie and lynda were trained as supremes, both hired by mary and they were key players esp scherie in the supremes camp in the 70s so it was a challenge for both women to sing with diana and it gave some legitimacy into the supremes legacy for however short and was cancelled after 8 performances, and a footnote to the supremes legacy, but wait one more supremes footnote mary cindy and kelly rowland on motown 45.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    When the rtl tour first happened i was disappointed mary and cindy were not on the train, as t producerz refused marys req. For 4 million, but as time went by, im not as upset about it, because scherrie and lynda were trained as supremes, both hired by mary and they were key players esp scherie in the supremes camp in the 70s so it was a challenge for both women to sing with diana and it gave some legitimacy into the supremes legacy for however short and was cancelled after 8 performances, and a footnote to the supremes legacy, but wait one more supremes footnote mary cindy and kelly rowland on motown 45.
    Madison Square Garden was the perfect Diana Ross concert and it was a thrill having Scherrie & Lynda along for the ride to support her on The Supremes set as The Supremes!
    Last edited by Lulu; 07-21-2014 at 07:46 PM.

smark21 Guest
    I see the rabidly insane wizboy is providing his usual rancidly ugly comments on the comments page of the youtube video.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I see the rabidly insane wizboy is providing his usual rancidly ugly comments on the comments page of the youtube video.
    Yuck...I can't even. He REALLY crosses the line. More than anyone online IMHO save for TWTR4EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Yes! I was there. Mary looked great! The whole weekend was great because it seemed like everyone was there!

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    Madison Square Garden was the perfect Diana Ross concert and it was a thrill having Scherrie & Lynda along for the ride to support her on The Supremes set as The Supremes!
    Too bad the next day the whole thing got cancelled before it got to Jones Beach on Long Island.........

I was surprised that they went ahead with the Motown 45 appearance considering that Mary had had what was describes as a mild stroke just a month prior and had performed nearly two hours straight in Vegas the night before the taping of that television special.

I didnt know that at least mary and cindy got some airtime one more time as supremes and kelly rowland was great.

I didnt know that at least mary and cindy got some airtime one more time as supremes and kelly rowland was great.
    Fran, yeah Mary was doing a lot of guest appearances during that time for "Only the Strong Survive" the documentary that she was featured in. Not long after taping the Regis and Kathy Show, she became ill , trouble breathing, etc. During this prior she also taped the Four Tops 50th Anniversary TV special after having to miss the tribute to Levi Stubbs they had in Detroit a few months earlier. Jean Terrell, Scherrie Payne, Cindy Birdsong along with a host of celebrities attended that.

supremester Guest
    And for the record, Mary didn't request 4 million - it was offered to her with an expiration date for acceptance. The date passed without a word to the producers, and, assuming it was not accepted, Miss Ross invited Scherrie & Lynda. Upon hearing this news, Mary accepted the offer, but was told that "the train had left the station." Mary complained to the train station manager about long lines in Europe that kept her from being in contact with her agent. This story didn't hold much credence as, while the train was still at the station, Mary contacted Cindy to say they had the deal. If she was able to be in touch with Cindy.......... But, I agree with you - it was a wonderful opportunity for Scherrie & Lynda to go down in history as the final official grouping of Supremes. It's a shame that it caused unhappiness for all involved, but the audiences sure loved it. Had it worked out as originally intended, Supremes fans would have seen all groupings from DMC forward - what a treat, and what a shame Flo couldn't be there.......

It was cancelled because the public did not want it!

supremester Guest
    Well, since you are aware that more people purchased tickets for RTL than say, hmmmmmmmmmm........ any other Supreme has for the last ten years combined, what does that say about those other Supremes? That the public does not want them either? The truth is that Miss Ross ended the tour - not the promoter, who played hardball with her and lost big time. I know you prefer to feel the way you prefer, regardless of the facts, and want desperately for others to believe your pullaver, but the fact remains that Miss Ross ended the tour, legally, was within her contractual rights to do so, was compensated and received a public apology from the promoter praising her talent and professionalism. That is why, if you recall, TNT continued to sell tickets and insist they had not, in fact, cancelled any dates except Jones Beach and DC - both of which were, a few hours later, hastily put back on the books as not cancelled and all personnel was contacted to get on the buses after all. Unfortunately for the 9000 fans with tickets for that night [[and TNT) the set at Jones Beach had been struck and there was not time to get it set up by showtime. Scherrie & Lynda [[the last two official, Motown sanctioned Supremes' lead singers of the 70's) can verify this fact. By that time, once again, the train had left the station and Miss Ross was over it, ending the tour on a high note as a sellout at MSG with a concert gross of over 1.2 million for the night. TNT was desperately trying to resurrect the tour to at least play the many dates that were selling very well and near sellouts with a month to go. I have newspaper articles to support what I am saying.

Now if you wish to discuss what, it seems, the public does not want, we can go there - but I don't think you'd like it. Will I be seeing you at BergenPac?
    Last edited by supremester; 07-25-2014 at 04:25 PM.

Look Diana Ross' "Return to Love Tour" was cancelled never to be revived again. Understand, when she says "I've tried that and I will never do that again"...... know and understand what she means! It's all history now anyway.

Say what you will but I was at the MSG show and although it would have been wonderful to have Mary and Cindy there, Scherrie and Lynda did a great job and the sellout audience ate it up!

That's a gorgeous picture of Mary!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes Scherrie and Lynda did a magnificent job as the "final incarnation" of The Supremes backing Ms Ross at the RTL show in Atlanta to a near sellout crowd.

supremester Guest
    I know exactly what she meant. Try not to use quotation marks if you do not know the quote. I was 5 feet from Miss Ross when she made the comment and she did not say "I will never do that again." Although I do believe that's what she feels.

It IS all history now, anyway - but a few certain mega-posters from, I suspect, the same IP address bring it up frequently here and other places......... just sayin'

I
    Look Diana Ross' "Return to Love Tour" was cancelled never to be revived again. Understand, when she says "I've tried that and I will never do that again"...... know and understand what she means! It's all history now anyway.

supremester Guest
    I wish I could have seen RTL in person, most of my buds saw it several times and all agree it was sensational. I fully understand why some would have preferred DMC, but, this new lineup was, by all accounts, fantastic. To me, having DMC was only a smidge better than DSL, just for nostalgia, as DSL were stronger singers. DMF?? THAT would have been a reunion.
    It's funny how, in this interview, Mary distorts the facts about RTL. Miss Ross NEVER billed RTL as a reunion - in fact, she made it clear that it was not. Instead it was "a celebration of the music." It's just an outright lie and she knew it. Plus, how shady to refer to Scherrie & Lynda as "just two singers" ............LOL I will always have a warm spot in my heart for Mary from DMF days, but her incessant lies and trouble making slander is so unfortunate. No wonder Miss Ross won't go near her LOL!!! She looks great in this interview, though. When did she get her chin put in?

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I know exactly what she meant. Try not to use quotation marks if you do not know the quote. I was 5 feet from Miss Ross when she made the comment and she did not say "I will never do that again." Although I do believe that's what she feels.

It IS all history now, anyway - but a few certain mega-posters from, I suspect, the same IP address bring it up frequently here and other places......... just sayin'

I
    I was thrilled that it was cancelled and very proud that it took the folks here on Long Island to do it! After no Jones Beach, there was no more tour!

I was thrilled that it was cancelled and very proud that it took the folks here on Long Island to do it! After no Jones Beach, there was no more tour!
    I thought that we discussed everything about RTL, but you just brought up something new that I did not know. How did the folks there in Long Island get the show cancelled? I have friends in LI who passed up seeing the show at MSG because it was coming to LI. They were not instrumental in getting the show cancelled. In fact, they were disappointed. Who were the folks in LI that got the show cancelled? And how were they able to pull it off? Sounds almost impossible , but amazing if true.

I was thrilled that it was cancelled and very proud that it took the folks here on Long Island to do it!

I thought that we discussed everything about RTL, but you just brought up something new that I did not know. How did the folks there in Long Island get the show cancelled? I have friends in LI who passed up seeing the show at MSG because it was coming to LI. They were not instrumental in getting the show cancelled. In fact, they were disappointed. Who were the folks in LI that got the show cancelled? And how were they able to pull it off? Sounds almost impossible , but amazing if true.
    It was a concerted effort! [[pardon the pun LOL!). Everyone knew it was wrong and pretty much stayed away. That's about all I can tell ya, now or in the future,,,,,hehehehehehehe!

LadyLola Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    That one needs to be locked up.

LadyLola Guest

RTL rehash take 27,876.4

LadyLola Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    Yuck...I can't even. He REALLY crosses the line. More than anyone online IMHO save for TWTR4EVER!

You know, I'm gonna advise Mary to do something: have interviewers not mentioned "Supremes reunion" ever again. Talk about the good times, talk about how close you were to both Flo and Diana and leave issues as they are. She's said enough even if she does seem to contradict herself but whatever, it's getting OLD and the same old back and forth between Supremes members' fans. When will it stop? I tell you, when...will...it...stop? Get offline, take a chill pill, breathe in the breezy air, take a walk, then when you come back, listen to your Supremes records and if you even think of posting on a Supremes thread with drama, just...don't...CLICK.

May be easier said than done, but God, you guys drive a hard bargain.

Anyway, Mary looked sexy in that '90 photo.