[REMOVE ADS]

Background vocals or not, e.g Superstition

Listening to Superstition today I wondered why there were no background vocals on it. Of course it's a great record the way it is but I thought it might be even more exciting with some whoops in the background, like Signed, Sealed, Delivered. Im wondering how artists, producers decide this and what you all think of background vocals on Superstition.

thomas96 Guest
    Well Stevie, like Marvin, used mostly his own background vocals on his own produced songs so I guess Stevie felt no need for background vocals on it, and honestly to my ears, I think it's perfect without backgrounds. Backgrounds would've been way too much, and he'd have had to take some clavinet parts out or tone down the drums.. Both of which I'd rather have as is than have added background vocals.

Yeah, I doubt he had background vocals on there. Plus I read it was supposed to be a demo for Jeff Beck but Motown wanted him [[Stevie) to put it out by himself.

Stevie had others doing backround vocals on some songs on the Talking Book album, like Denise Williams, Jim Gilstrap, Lani Groves....

^ I know. I just meant on that one particular song.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Yeah, I doubt he had background vocals on there. Plus I read it was supposed to be a demo for Jeff Beck but Motown wanted him [[Stevie) to put it out by himself.
    Actually, Stevie himself that took the song back. Stevie had artistic control. At that point, Motown could not tell him what to do. Jeff Beck was pissed.

I can't say I've ever listened to Superstition and said to myself "this song is lacking something".

According to this Month's Q Magazine "the drum beat was created by Jeff Beck & played by Stevie" the song sits at #1 of the best Motown records voted by readers of Q, certainly makes better reading than the recent UK Nation's Favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Actually, Stevie himself that took the song back. Stevie had artistic control. At that point, Motown could not tell him what to do. Jeff Beck was pissed.
    Thanks for the correction. I had forgotten what was the real reason why Superstition was never given to Jeff Beck. You just reminded me of Stevie's new liberating contract from 1972.