[REMOVE ADS]

Wow, Motown 25 coming to dvd at last!!!

This ain't no joke, folks... Coming from Time-Life Music September 30!

Single-disc edition:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L9OPDA8?

De-luxe edition: [[3 discs)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L9OPA56?

I wonder what's on the deluxe edition, maybe it's the Motown Returns to the Apollo special?

Lulu Guest
    Wow! Last week the RCA Albums update and now this! Looks like The Summer of Ross is gonna be extended to Autumn!!! Thanks!

I know, Lulu, what a great year for reissues! Now if we could only get Baby It's Me before the year is over...

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by whitesoxx View Post
    I know, Lulu, what a great year for reissues! Now if we could only get Baby It's Me before the year is over...
    And "Lady Sings" on Blu-ray!

Single-disc edition:

I wonder what's on the deluxe edition, maybe it's the Motown Returns to the Apollo special?
    Maybe Motown 40? Excellent documentary, IMO

Maybe the deluxe version with 3 DVD's is M25, M30, and M40.

Or maybe it is M25, M40, and Motown returns to the Apollo.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Maybe the deluxe version with 3 DVD's is M25, M30, and M40.

Or maybe it is M25, M40, and Motown returns to the Apollo.
    That would be totally cool!

TCB and GIT On Broadway, please...

Hmmmm. Wonder if there will be any "unreleased footage"?

smark21 Guest
    Well if there's unreleased footage of you know what on there, I guarantee there will be 10 page thread here about it full of fighting and insults; anger and hurt; wild accusations and Ralph having to ban a few members.

LadyLola Guest

Single-disc edition:

Oh good. I could use a new coaster for m' cocktails.

LadyLola Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Hmmmm. Wonder if there will be any "unreleased footage"?
    When monkey's fly out of my ass!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLola View Post
    When monkey's fly out of my ass!
    Now THAT'S unreleased footage!

Single disc runs for 2.1/2 hours while the deluxe is 7.1/2 hours!!!!

The show was 2hrs, 10 mins. I wonder what the other 20 minutes will be [[not to mention all of the extras on the bonus discs). It might contain M30, M40, Motortown Revue from 1963, Motown At The Apollo, The 1985 series Motown Revue, TCB, GIT, Temptations Show, Smokey Robinson Special ... Am I missing something?

Perhaps Charlene's riveting performance of "I've Never Been To Me" will finally be released....

Oh, yeah ... and didn't Mary Wilson give a speech? I remember hearing that years ago.

supremester Guest
    I'm taking a typing course just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Well if there's unreleased footage of you know what on there, I guarantee there will be 10 page thread here about it full of fighting and insults; anger and hurt; wild accusations and Ralph having to ban a few members.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I'm taking a typing course just in case.
    I honestly just wish people on this forum would stop using my heroines to score petty points against each other. Don't like each other? Great. Slug it out, but leave the Supremes out of it.

Product Details
    Format: Multiple Formats, Box set, Color, NTSC
    Language: English
    Number of discs: 3
    Rated: NR [[Not Rated)
    Studio: Time Life Music
    DVD Release Date: September 30, 2014
    Run Time: 450 minutes

I just noticed that it says multiple formats. Could that mean that besides the DVD there are also CD's in the package? Could it be just Motown greatest hits CD's with the DVD in the deluxe version?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    The show was 2hrs, 10 mins. I wonder what the other 20 minutes will be [[not to mention all of the extras on the bonus discs). It might contain M30, M40, Motortown Revue from 1963, Motown At The Apollo, The 1985 series Motown Revue, TCB, GIT, Temptations Show, Smokey Robinson Special ... Am I missing something?
    Motown Merry Christmas 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Product Details
    Format: Multiple Formats, Box set, Color, NTSC
    Language: English
    Number of discs: 3
    Rated: NR [[Not Rated)
    Studio: Time Life Music
    DVD Release Date: September 30, 2014
    Run Time: 450 minutes

I just noticed that it says multiple formats. Could that mean that besides the DVD there are also CD's in the package? Could it be just Motown greatest hits CD's with the DVD in the deluxe version?
    "Greatest Hits" as in "Live" companion to DVD would be dandy.

You can't fit 2 1/2 hours of music on a CD. Maybe it's Blu-Ray and DVD ...

It's 3 disc.

The single disc edition also says "multiple formats"

You can't fit 2 1/2 hours of music on a CD. Maybe it's Blu-Ray and DVD ...
    The show itself, not only had music, but speaking, and skits; just only have the music on disc, which when played live, usually means for many, faster energies, faster speeds, and for others - Mary Wells, Junior Walker, Commodores - only did snippets, and only some - such as Marvin Gaye, took his time, was extended.

My understanding is that the original event ran for some five hours, eventually being whittled down for broadcast, with only a fifth of what was recorded eventually making its way on to the television special.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotspurman View Post
    My understanding is that the original event ran for some five hours, eventually being whittled down for broadcast, with only a fifth of what was recorded eventually making its way on to the television special.
    Say, does that mean, when the credits rolled, "Rick James" was on tow, that Rick actually had a live spot there, not just a ten second video snip of "Bustin' Out"?

There was a DVD released before on this and it included; Bonus Extras: Thriller [[ music video) 2). We Are The World [[ music video) 3). Heal The World [[Michael Jackson Super Bowl 1993) [[ music video) DVD Features: Full nenu with Scene Selection! Language: English / Runtime: 154 Minutes. Hopefully, this one is different.

I wouldn't read anything into the "multiple formats" thing; many, many listings on AMAZON say that for no discernible reason. Or it could mean it will be a DVD+BLU-RAY package of basically the same material [[sort of a waste but it's done quite a bit). As for MOTOWN 25; I'd love the whole unedited show...what a treat that would be!

What performances were left out of the broadcast?

Wasn't there a Songwriter/producer rap session with Ashford and Simpson, HDH and others or am I thinking MOTOWN 30.

The VHS release from the late 80s considered unaired performances from T.G. Sheppard, Jose Feliciano, the Miracles, the Jacksons, Stevie Wonder, and Smokey Robinson. Also, some songs like Marvin Gaye's WHAT'S GOING ON were included in full.

It also contained a songwriters segment with HDH, Mickey Stevenson, Ron Miller, etc. Ashford and Simpson sang MONEY as part of this segment, but they weren't included on the VHS. But if you look closely, when the songwriters come out on stage, you can see two silhouetted figures on the side of the screen. They look like the figures of Ashford and Simpson.

One performance that didn't make it to air or videocassette was Charlene's I'VE NEVER BEEN TO ME. I've also seen a photo of Martha and Smokey doing a duet. In her book, Martha says that it was a rehearsal for a duet that she was supposed to do with Marvin, but never did.
    Last edited by reese; 07-20-2014 at 04:44 PM.

Im not holding my breath for any extras on this DVD but it would be nice to have interviews or extra footage. Of course the Motown catalog is moving again due to the play but I think Berry has washed his hands of anything new on Motown.

Oh, yeah ... and didn't Mary Wilson give a speech? I remember hearing that years ago.
    Yes; Mary Wilson mentioned the speech she gave during "Motown 25" in her book "Supreme Faith". According to the book, the speech was a tribute to the great Motown artists who had passed away before the show aired [[and she made a special mention of Flo Ballard). It was edited out of both the original broadcast and the VHS tape of the show. We'll see if it's reinstated for any of the upcoming DVD releases.

Single-disc edition:

Thanks for posting this. I never thought that "Motown 25" would ever make it to DVD. Although the show is flawed, it does have some great performances which would make it worth owning.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Yes; Mary Wilson mentioned the speech she gave during "Motown 25" in her book "Supreme Faith". According to the book, the speech was a tribute to the great Motown artists who had passed away before the show aired [[and she made a special mention of Flo Ballard). It was edited out of both the original broadcast and the VHS tape of the show. We'll see if it's reinstated for any of the upcoming DVD releases.
    It's Mary and Cindy talking about love and the Motown songs & songwriters. Mary does mention those longer around [[Benny Benjamin, Mom & Pop Gordy, Paul Williams & Flo). Nothing controversial, very sweet and from the heart.

As Star Vista/Time Life has been promoting the Ed Sullivan Show, it wouldn't surprise me if the additional dvd's were a reconfiguration of Motown Gold from the Ed Sullivan Show B0015670-09 @2011 [[2 dvd set ; running time- 2:20), extending disc 1 and especially disc 2 of the set with additional performances.