[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

the Supremes High Energy Album 1976

I could not let the summer, go, by without expressing my joy and delight in seeing the album High energy" plastered in billboard in the summer of 1976. The album along with the single "i'm gonna let my heart do the walkIng" were both doing respectable business. The album opens with new comer susaye greene's bombastic 5 octave lead vocal on the lead track high energy, while we all heard that cindy whose voice is present on all the bkg tracks had jumped ship again and replaced by susaye. The album was loaded with 4 juicy uptempo dance tunes 3 by scherrie 1 by susaye one moderate dance track "your whats missing in my life" bw of walking with mary and scherrie on lead and cindy singing bkg on all the tracks and 3 ballads featuring mary wilson. The album project had some pleasant surprises we have yet to hear, scherie and cindys leads on the high energy track still lost somewhere, as well as susayes lead on the "let my heart do the walking" released on the let yourself go the 70' albums vol. 2. Whats really interesting is that the original mixes were delivered by russ terrena to quality control and rejected by motown according to the liner notes on the box set and then on march 30th 76 , fred ross no relation to diana remixed the project which became the album we brought in 76 which went to number 42,. Both mixes are on the box set. The single had an interesting chart life it debut at number 70 the following week 60 then 50, and it stopped at 40, where I was disappointed, but still both projects brought the group new life, and they were on tv everywhere dinah shore, soul train mike douglas, etc. And after the death of florence ballard a few months earlier the supremes needed this. I am sure mary wilson was ecstastic if not jumping for joy over its success becoming the 2nd best selling supremes album of the 70, s. Mary dedicated Dont let my teardrops bother you to flo on stage. Ànd scherrie, mary susaye and cindy get accolades for a fine project.

Ironically "Right on" released 6 yrs earlier was also released and hitting number 25 during the same period 6 yrs earlier..

Lulu Guest
    Chiiiiiiiiild! I LOVE this album!!! All of the ladies are in such fine voice!!! Scherrie, to me, should have hit it BIG as the next lead singer!!! I play that album to death and Mary is simply divine on "Teardrops" as you mentioned - she leaves dear Dionne in the dust if you want to compare versions!!! Thanks for sharing, hon!

smark21 Guest
    It's a good album and where Mary came into her own as a singer with those side 2 ballads.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    I could not let the summer, go, by without expressing my joy and delight in seeing the album High energy" plastered in billboard in the summer of 1976. The album along with the single "i'm gonna let my heart do the walkIng" were both doing respectable business. The album opens with new comer susaye greene's bombastic 5 octave lead vocal on the lead track high energy, while we all heard that cindy whose voice is present on all the bkg tracks had jumped ship again and replaced by susaye. The album was loaded with 4 juicy uptempo dance tunes 3 by scherrie 1 by susaye one moderate dance track "your whats missing in my life" bw of walking with mary and scherrie on lead and cindy singing bkg on all the tracks and 3 ballads featuring mary wilson. The album project had some pleasant surprises we have yet to hear, scherie and cindys leads on the high energy track still lost somewhere, as well as susayes lead on the "let my heart do the walking" released on the let yourself go the 70' albums vol. 2. Whats really interesting is that the original mixes were delivered by russ terrena to quality control and rejected by motown according to the liner notes on the box set and then on march 30th 76 , fred ross no relation to diana remixed the project which became the album we brought in 76 which went to number 42,. Both mixes are on the box set. The single had an interesting chart life it debut at number 70 the following week 60 then 50, and it stopped at 40, where I was disappointed, but still both projects brought the group new life, and they were on tv everywhere dinah shore, soul train mike douglas, etc. And after the death of florence ballard a few months earlier the supremes needed this. I am sure mary wilson was ecstastic if not jumping for joy over its success becoming the 2nd best selling supremes album of the 70, s. Mary dedicated Dont let my teardrops bother you to flo on stage. Ànd scherrie, mary susaye and cindy get accolades for a fine project.

Ironically "Right on" released 6 yrs earlier was also released and hitting number 25 during the same period 6 yrs earlier..
    The song, "High Energy" was ahead of it's time I first heard it by surprised late one night on station WKLR. It would have fit perfectly into the "Quiet Storm" format that became popular years later. The entire album was top notch!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    The song, "High Energy" was ahead of it's time I first heard it by surprised late one night on station WKLR. It would have fit perfectly into the "Quiet Storm" format that became popular years later. The entire album was top notch!
    and whats more not a single note on the Andantes can be found. With Susaye and Scherrie in the mix and Mary and Cindy covering needed bkground issues on the dance tracks, as well as bkg, they had it covered.

to bad there wasn't a second single. I liked the original mixs better actually

I love the album. "High Energy" is my favorite Supremes song of all time, regardless of the various editions of the group. Franjoy, it does bring back memories of summer, as I also remember playing the album during that summer usually before heading out to the clubs [[and then again when you came home with someone!). It's a lush, romantic album full of fantastic orchestration and multi-layered production values. I think it holds up better than most "disco" albums of the period, including Donna Summer's.

I still prefer the released mix, though there are parts of "Side 2" where I do like the Terranna mix better. But I don't think you can beat the seamlessness of Side 1 of the original mix version.

In addition to the title track, I do love "Let My Heart Do the Walkin'" of course, but I think an underappreciated gem is "You Keep me Movin' On," because it pays some homage to Diane's "Hanging On" at least in title, if not spirit, of the earlier song, and it has so much joy and exuberance in Scherrie's lead vocal. I love the opening which sounds like a train approaching. I also think "Only You" is a great song. I think because the album is so timeless, it's really hard to tell from listening to it when it was recorded. With its impeccable production and, especially on the "slow jam" side, it could easily have been an 80s album.

smark21 Guest
    Kudos should also be given to Mary for her performance on "You're What's Missing in My Life"...she more than holds her own with Scherrie Payne on that one.

I too love this album. When it first came out I thought it would be a huge hit. Many of my friends and family had bought this album and loved it. It is my favorite 70s Supreme album. I love Mary and Sherrie on this album.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I too love this album. When it first came out I thought it would be a huge hit. Many of my friends and family had bought this album and loved it. It is my favorite 70s Supreme album. I love Mary and Sherrie on this album.
    I thnk susaye kicked the door open with her lead on the title track. Never before had a bkg supreme singer come in and get a lead on an opening track. I just wish cindy had stayed on with susaye making vocal support in the studio. But then again susaye added a new dimension to the group, that cindy didnt have: Voice.

Marv at one time guided me to the alternate Cindy and Susaye takes. This album is flawless and nobody could ever outshine Susaye on High Energy! Mary's leads are impeccable. Thanks for this topic. A friend of mine in owned a record store in Allen Park [[Mich) and stated he only received 3 copies and could not get anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Marv at one time guided me to the alternate Cindy and Susaye takes. This album is flawless and nobody could ever outshine Susaye on High Energy! Mary's leads are impeccable. Thanks for this topic. A friend of mine in owned a record store in Allen Park [[Mich) and stated he only received 3 copies and could not get anymore.
    why am I not surprised that album should have been readily available no wonder it got stuck at number 42 pop. This clearly one of the best supremes albums of the 70s

why am I not surprised that album should have been readily available no wonder it got stuck at number 42 pop. This clearly one of the best supremes albums of the 70s
    Bought mine at Montgomery Wards! LOL!

here in Baltimore there were enough copies to go around for this album and supremes 75,...only MSS lp was short on copies here

speaking of which, i was wondering does anybody have the full 1976 appearance of Soul Train when Susaye debut with Mary and Scherrie

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    speaking of which, i was wondering does anybody have the full 1976 appearance of Soul Train when Susaye debut with Mary and Scherrie
    is that the episode where they do come into my life and driving wheel i may have bits and pieces on a vhs tape i will, look

thats from new years day 1977. plus the whole episode of that is on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJHNAq6w2AU

i was asking about their 3rd apperance: they did im gonna let me heart do the walking, dont let my teardrops bother you and youre whats missing in my life

I do have a copy of mss in switzeland in summer of 76 half concert i think susaye sings he aint neavy hes my brother and mary introduces her as the newest sister to the supremes. Also the supremes in japan 66 where flo says can i get undress after the show in their dressing room and diana says go right ahead, and flo says not with u in here meaning bg filming the chatter between them perhaps. i will trade for something really rare. I tink both shows are on utube folks.

High Energy is The Supremes Mary Wilson Cindy Birdsong Scherrie Payne and new Supreme,Susaye Greene at they're best,before Cindy was let go,i heard that Scherrie did a lead on the the track High Energy,but the producers tryed it on Susaye,and it worked better,not to say that Scherrie didn't do a great job,i'm 100%sure she did,but people said when Susaye did her lead,it blasted the studio,amazing,and Mary's leads was those smooth ballards,that the album needed,Mary was sooo good,it was hard to believe Motown kept her from singing lead,all those years,i loved everything about Mary's lead,on every track,i wanted more more more of Mary lol,Yes High Energy is The Best.
    Last edited by REDHOT; 07-20-2014 at 10:43 PM.

I just wish they had unearthed cindys leads for the 70s let yourself go complete studio albums high energy, and you keep me moving on. It would have been a great tribute to her dedication to the supremes. Yes susaye was fantastic on HE as well as iglmhdtw.

I just wish they had unearthed cindys leads for the 70s let yourself go complete studio albums high energy, and you keep me moving on. It would have been a great tribute to her dedication to the supremes. Yes susaye was fantastic on HE as well as iglmhdtw.
    You Keep Me Moving On was a demo Cindy recorded after her stint with the Supremes. I believe High Energy is an incomplete demo.

Cindy recorded several songs from the High Energy album as demos in the early 80's. Scherrie Payne did say, however, that both she and Cindy did record lead vocals for "High Energy" before Cindy was let go in 1976. I'd assume both of their leads were erased or dubbed over by Susaye's vocals.

I must be in the minority here I thought that Mary's best vocals were on the Hes My Man album. My best friend thinks the High Energy album is the best as well. I will never forget when I heard This is Why I Believe In You and heard Mary singing she was so good. However she said "there is only one like you a carbon copy just wont do" At first my ears were hearing a carbon puppy just wont do.....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    I must be in the minority here I thought that Mary's best vocals were on the Hes My Man album. My best friend thinks the High Energy album is the best as well. I will never forget when I heard This is Why I Believe In You and heard Mary singing she was so good. However she said "there is only one like you a carbon copy just wont do" At first my ears were hearing a carbon puppy just wont do.....LOL
    I thought my ears were playing tricks on me when I first heard this is why i believe in you. from the supremes album which I found by accident in the spring of 75 in bondy record bin, i didnt know the supremes had a new album. who is singing the soprano part ooooooooooooo near the end is that scherrie or cindy? I thought it was cindy but i could be wrong...

You must be too young to remember carbon copies! I wish I was!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    You must be too young to remember carbon copies! I wish I was!!!
    I remember the memograph machines! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I remember the memograph machines! LOL!
    OMG...so do I. And the blue ink with that really powerful smell especially when stuff was "hot off the presses!"

IMHO High Energy is clearly the best of the Scherrie Payne Supremes and one of the best of the 70s Supremes. Brian and Eddie Holland clearly pulled out the stops for this album. It got airplay, and sales and had Motown followed up faster it would have been a mega-hit album.

Clearly there were two more singles on that lp. The second single should have been You're What's Missing In My Life and the third would be the title track. High Energy was prepared for single release. This would have put the lp into the higher reaches of the Best Selling charts. The album flows beautifully, something which Scherrie's first album with the group just didn't do. Utilizing five different producers, the He's My Man lp has always disappointed me and still does. Clearly Motown was desparately seeking a sound on the group. That lp featured disco, blues, gospel, pop, and country western. It was just a hodge-podge of desparation. While I like He's My Man and Early Morning Love, Mary's voice just wasn't strong enough in lead parts of those songs. Scherrie should have held full leads on these two tracks.

On the other hand, Mary never sounded better than she did on Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You. Her voice was strong, warm and confident. Her breathy vocals fit perfectly to Til The Boat/Don't Want To Lose You. High Energy also benefits from having four Supremes. We were introduced to Susaye on the first two cuts and she was excellent. But beloved Cindy is heard more clearly than ever before on backing vocals.

The fans fully expected at least one more single from High Energy. Motown was pushing Ross's Mahogany lp with Love Hangover. I guess High Energy would have overshadowed Ms Ross's new lp with the additional singles...and that just couldn't happen.

The album just works.

My all time favorite Mary Supremes lead is "You Are the Heart of Me" although her songs on the 1975 album were also very good. "Pick Up the Pieces" from her first solo album is a stand out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    IMHO High Energy is clearly the best of the Scherrie Payne Supremes and one of the best of the 70s Supremes. Brian and Eddie Holland clearly pulled out the stops for this album. It got airplay, and sales and had Motown followed up faster it would have been a mega-hit album.

Clearly there were two more singles on that lp. The second single should have been You're What's Missing In My Life and the third would be the title track. High Energy was prepared for single release. This would have put the lp into the higher reaches of the Best Selling charts. The album flows beautifully, something which Scherrie's first album with the group just didn't do. Utilizing five different producers, the He's My Man lp has always disappointed me and still does. Clearly Motown was desparately seeking a sound on the group. That lp featured disco, blues, gospel, pop, and country western. It was just a hodge-podge of desparation. While I like He's My Man and Early Morning Love, Mary's voice just wasn't strong enough in lead parts of those songs. Scherrie should have held full leads on these two tracks.

On the other hand, Mary never sounded better than she did on Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You. Her voice was strong, warm and confident. Her breathy vocals fit perfectly to Til The Boat/Don't Want To Lose You. High Energy also benefits from having four Supremes. We were introduced to Susaye on the first two cuts and she was excellent. But beloved Cindy is heard more clearly than ever before on backing vocals.

The fans fully expected at least one more single from High Energy. Motown was pushing Ross's Mahogany lp with Love Hangover. I guess High Energy would have overshadowed Ms Ross's new lp with the additional singles...and that just couldn't happen.

The album just works.
    absolutely bayoumountainman, this album is flawless probably the best of the three although i am partial to the supremes 75 it made me jump for joy beause the supremes finally had anew record out. I really love Only You and believe that or you keep me movin on would have been good followups scherie was was excellent on, lead. Mary kicked it with her monologue on high energy.

i like HE although MSS is still my favorite of the Scherrie years. I've read that the Hollands were going after a very orchestral sound with HE and that's way you get more of the woodwinds like on You're What's Missing intro. same with all of the orchestration on the title track. in another thread people were talking about how the title track is excellent but not necessarily radio-friendly. i have to agree, in terms of releasing it as a single. it would have needed quite a bit of mixing to make it suitable for radio and that would have, potentially, really destroyed the song.

with IGLMHDTW the girls really pushed their disco sound forward. frankly too many of the songs on Sup 75 are pretty generic. He's My Man is ok, although IMO pretty corny. Where Do I Go and the other dance tracks just aren't unique enough. with Walking, the girls hit on a much more forceful and powerful sound. this was really developed with Driving Wheel and Let Yourself Go. You Keep Me MOving and Only You are ok but more like the Sup 75 tracks. just not enough catch to them and a bit too generic.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    This is ludicrous in every sense of the word. At this time Diana Ross was a bonafide movie star and recording artist. How could one more semi hit by the Supreme's over shadow her album with 2 number one songs on it? Anyway, getting back to this album, "I'm gonna let my heart" is a good song and a strong effort by the group.

I thought SUPREMES 75 was good but I would have dropped two songs,WHERE DO I BELONG and EARLY MORNING LOVE and replaced them with BEND A LITTLE and SHA LA BANDIT.
    and I don't think I would have issued HE' MY MAN as lead single.
    I heard a remix of WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE and it was much better

I liked half of HIGH ENERGY, but it has grown on me.thought YOURE WHATS MISSING was a good second single

supremester Guest
    LOL..........agreed. Absolutely imbecilic in every sense of the word. As you said, Miss Ross was on fire internationally - The Supremes were a threat to no one - especially Miss Ross. They hadn't had a hit in 4 years and slipped to a C live act. Anyone suggesting such silliness is severely uninformed. Some Facts:
    Because of The 5th Dimension, Motown rush released sure fire #1 Love Hangover - on the same day as the planned release of IGLMHDTW. The only time both acts released a single on the same day. It didn't appear that anyone at Motown was afraid of competition, does it?
    After Love Hangover was an across the board #1 smash, the last thing they'd worry about was a single as radio phobic as High Energy would damage the tepid follow up to Love Hangover.
    Motown pushed IGLMHDTW and the album in stores, clubs and radio. In-store posters with the flawless [[and very wise) cover image, promo 12" singles of the single and the title cut were everywhere. It paid off: it was the first top 40 single in 4 years, and the second highest charting 70's Supremes album ever. It was the perfect comeback album for The Supremes: great production, great vocals and as Smark stated, the emergence of Mary as a very credible ballad singer and cover art that didn't remind fans that they had no idea who these women were. High Energy would not have worked on pop radio, but I do think Teardrops had a chance to hit if they could get it exposed on TV. The success of the album came from the clubs, and teardrops wasnn't going to get that kind of help - so, Motown probably decided instead to cash in on the success of the project with another album, MSS - hardly the move of a label trying to kill a group. If up to me, I'd have released Teardrops and got it on TV as much as possible: Tonight Show, Donny & Marie - everywhere that would take them. I think it could have hit with mega push. The Supremes had not been in the top ten for nearly 6 years - the pop market target audience didn't know them so youth oriented shows wouldn't book them easily. Maybe Motown tried and that's why they didn't release it.
    I guess there will always be a dozen or so people who, regardless of how absurd, will blame EVERY failure of The Rossless Supremes on sabotage. The facts tell quite a different story.

Lulu Guest
    Another thread about The Supremes that has absolutely nothing to do with Diana Ross but goes south as soon as someone whines about her success. My eyes are starting to bleed, guys...

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I guess there will always be a dozen or so people who, regardless of how absurd, will blame EVERY failure of The Rossless Supremes on sabotage. The facts tell quite a different story.
    This one in particular thinks everything that was done, or not done, was so that she wouldn't be "overshadowed". Every single post, like clockwork.

smark21 Guest

Thoughts on this performance on Mike Douglas 1976?

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    This one in particular thinks everything that was done, or not done, was so that she wouldn't be "overshadowed". Every single post, like clockwork.
    Huh???????

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post

One of Mary's best - ahead of Dionne's by a mile!

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    Huh???????
    I was referring to the original quote.

Lulu Guest
    I was referring to the original quote.
    Yeah...I didn't get it. Supremester was making a remark about how many fans blame Motown/Gordy/Ross for sabotaging the Supremes 70s output which does happen. I don't gather, from his post, that he's one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post

Visually, it is a miss. Mary was already much taller than the other two. There was no need for her to stand on a pedestal. As far as the music, the background sounds terrific. Lyrically, Its too dreary for me to really enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    Yeah...I didn't get it. Supremester was making a remark about how many fans blame Motown/Gordy/Ross for sabotaging the Supremes 70s output which does happen. I don't gather, from his post, that he's one of them.
    I was referring to post #28

Lulu Guest
    I was referring to post #28
    Oh yes...I didn't even bother to respond to that one!

If management was right, this album would've been a decent success [[same with Supremes '75).

A great performance from mary backed by susaye and scherrie. Nothing wrong with mary standing in the middle on a pedestal it was obvious emphasis was being put on her leaving for a solo career, and what better way to do it by having her stand out. the song is one of marys best ballads and she shines whether its dreary, sensual, or touching which it was . I often wonder would motown had done a better job of promoting them if pedro wasnt in the mix. His name is on the back of the last two supremes lps under management I
    Last edited by franjoy56; 07-29-2014 at 12:01 AM. Reason: spelling

supremester Guest
    Probably because he under-managed them........hehehehehe

I think Mary does a great job vocally - the hair doesn't work and I don't think she should be raised in the middle - she's singing lead and getting 90% of the camera - that's enough standing out. No reason to make them look foolish. I like the record better, and would turn down the bg about 25% on the chorus - maybe speed it up a hint, but Mary's vocal is great and I love that Scherrie & Susaye are not show boating.

Pedro had no business managing them to begin with. You think someone who had been in a group for over 15 years would've learned how to find better management. You don't mix business with pleasure.

first of all Jean did a great job on leads with the supremes but eventually with all the personal changes it took a toll on the group.
    secondly the supreme suffered as others, when Motown moved to LA. BG should have kept the Detroit location open .even Ross singles got lost in the shuffle.
    third, BG offered to manage the group again but MW stated she didn't want to lose control of the group .
    how does one complain the record co isn't doing enough when the owner offers to manage you personally, ?? Pedro Ferror shouldn't have managed the group.
    the group sounded good on these albums and I think a return to form.