[REMOVE ADS]

Brenda holloway magnificent

There is so much effortless emotion that just seems to flow from Brenda and her voice. 'Magnificent' definitely covers it, Mike. Gorgeous tune, gorgeous voice, gorgeous Brenda. A magnificent posting, Mike.

Fully support the previous comments. For the best part of 50 years this song by Brenda has vied for my number 1 Motown song of all time with the different song with the same title by The Detroit Spinners. First came across Brenda's song on Motown Memories Volume 2 [[what a fab album that is) and, co-incidentally the Spinners song on the first volume of Motown Memories. Motown's best.

My favourite Brenda track - sheer class and very soulful.

Lulu Guest
    Such an exceptional lady...one of Motown's best - in my top 5 for sure!!!

everybody always talks about the female singers who could have had careers as big as diana ross. i can only think of two: brenda holloway & tammi terrell. gordy never seemed to push holloway, and sadly terrell never got to see how high she could go. both are two of motown's finest singers who were also telegenic and spunky enough catch the public eye!

Brenda was a great singer and very good looking.

supremester Guest
    Brenda is great, but Motown didn't need another of that type. They couldn't get enough decent material for the acts they were pushing. Some of the stuff released on DR&TS, Martha, The Marvelettes etc was ...........in need of help. If I had been Brenda, I'd have tried to get to Columbia. who knows? Maybe she tried.

wasn't that her 45 release after "Every Little Bit Hurts"? No promotion.

supremester Guest
    I don't know that I buy the no promotion story - I can't imagine Motown ignoring the follow-up to a promising hit. It's totally contrary to the way they did things.........plus, great as Brenda is, the song is quite weak.

Lulu Guest
    This was a really great cover IMHO:

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I don't know that I buy the no promotion story - I can't imagine Motown ignoring the follow-up to a promising hit. It's totally contrary to the way they did things.........plus, great as Brenda is, the song is quite weak.
    I don't know how true or accurate it is but Brenda did say in an interview that her single I'll Always Love You [[the follow up to Every Little Bit Hurts) was pulled so that Where Did Our Love Go could sell more and chart higher. There may be some truth to it as I'll Always Love You was released on July 3, 1964, while Where Did Our Love Go was still climbing on the charts.

supremester Guest
    I think that's a bunch of hogwash. A) WDOLG took off instantly and no amount of promotion can get a single from basically unknowns to rocket to #1. Motown had very little clout back then and very little money to spread around. I doubt WDOLG or ELBH got any promotion at all - at least initially.
    B) I'll Always love You is a real questionable choice as a follow up. Granted, it is in the same VEIN as ELBH [[just as Gordy requested, no doubt), but it goes nowhere and takes nearly 3 minutes to get there. In lesser hands, that song would never have been released at all. What value there is, is all Brenda's great work trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
    C) I don't mean to impugn anyone's veracity, but it has become SOP to blame Miss Ross and/or The Supremes for everything from career disappointments to House-Maid's Knee Syndrome. Mary Wells blamed Motown for taking the millions My Guy made and putting it into building Miss Ross. Martha claimed that The Supremes "stole our writers [[HDH) after WDOLG and they never worked with us again." More BS. Gladys boo-hoo'd similarly about not getting any good material or attention. She failed to mention Grapevine, Everybody Needs Love, If I Were Your Woman, Neither One Of Us etc and the fact that before Motown, fifty cents got you a back seat and a bag of skins at a Pips' show. I won't even mention Mary W's oft-cited/never proved rhetoric. Brenda may be just jumping on the bandwagon. She did the song on TV, in 38 cities that we know of, maybe people just thought it sucked. When I'm Gone wooda been a killer follow up and I think it would have hit. [[I prefer Brenda's to Queen Mary's.)
    Last edited by supremester; 07-18-2014 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Forgot to snark at Mary

Brenda`s "I`ll Always Love You" has more class than anything that dross or the drats did.

Truly spectacular. I have to say it again. This woman should have been a superstar. Wasnt she called the R&B Barbara Striesand for a time?

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    This was a really great cover IMHO:

you found my post on youtube.

honest man Guest
    In my opinion Brenda was one of the best at Motown,but would put Tammi above her love her voice she had everything going for her,my favourite solo lady singer though has to be Kim Weston she was amazing at Motown love her.