[REMOVE ADS]

The 50th Anniversary of the Four Tops "Baby I Need Your Loving"!!!!!

Yes, that's right. "Baby I Need Your Loving" was released 50 years ago last week on July 10, 1964! It was not only my favorite song by the Four Tops, not only my favorite of all Motown recordings, it is my favorite record of ALL TIME!

Give a listen a remember how magnificent this song sounded over the radio all those years ago now!

I actually played this on a jukebox last night at a restaurant without realizing that it was the 50th Anniversary of it's release. That is just how powerful this song and Motown's music is.............

Duke Fakir, Renaldo "Obie" Benson, Levi Stubbs and Lawrence Peyton....The Four Tops!

Detroit's best!

The Four Tops Baby, I Need Your Loving acapella .... Today's singers can only dream of sounding this good! Pure vocal power, pure Soul and infinitely melodic......

I still have my now worn out original album:

This song is what I mostly remember from the Summer of 1964

LadyLola Guest

Wilma and Fred approve!

Lulu Guest
    Hardly my favorite by them but definitely worth celebrating!

^ Agreed but those strings... man... the Detroit Symphony Orchestra were just as much geniuses as the Funk Brothers, and of course the Four Tops. I just love how the Andantes gelled well with the Four Tops than any other group in Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    The Four Tops Baby, I Need Your Loving acapella .... Today's singers can only dream of sounding this good! Pure vocal power, pure Soul and infinitely melodic......

Thanks for posting this. It's a nice way to remember the 50th Anniversary of the release of the classic 'Baby I Need Your Loving'. The Four Tops knocked it out of the park with their first single on Motown and set the tone for their best work for years to come.

It sounds just as good as the day it was released. It was a great introduction to the Four Tops.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    It sounds just as good as the day it was released. It was a great introduction to the Four Tops.
    I loved, loved, loved this song since I first heard it that summer. I play it still whenever I can and ALWAYS sing along to it. The backgrounds were impeccable and Levi was simply awesome! The only singer I know of that has the ability to "cry" with his voice!

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Thanks for posting this. It's a nice way to remember the 50th Anniversary of the release of the classic 'Baby I Need Your Loving'. The Four Tops knocked it out of the park with their first single on Motown and set the tone for their best work for years to come.
    You are most welcome. They were one of the most successful groups of the 60's and 70's and this song is a bona fide classic and The Four Tops deserve recognition of this milestone.

and one of the only singers who can make you cry with his voice....thanks Marv..total brilliance.
    I loved, loved, loved this song since I first heard it that summer. I play it still whenever I can and ALWAYS sing along to it. The backgrounds were impeccable and Levi was simply awesome! The only singer I know of that has the ability to "cry" with his voice!

Baby I Need Your Loving was the start of the classic Motown Sound- I agree that the Funk Brothers were the heart and soul, but I also believe it was the Detroit Symphony that made this music so unique. The Andantes should have been given the kudos that they deserved with the Four Tops- they were really the 5th Tops. HDH deserve a lot of credit,
    but Levi was the king and will remain so.

Quote Originally Posted by tmd View Post
    Baby I Need Your Loving was the start of the classic Motown Sound- I agree that the Funk Brothers were the heart and soul, but I also believe it was the Detroit Symphony that made this music so unique. The Andantes should have been given the kudos that they deserved with the Four Tops- they were really the 5th Tops. HDH deserve a lot of credit,
    but Levi was the king and will remain so.
    Levi stubbs, I love that mans voice from ask the lonely , baby i need your lovin, shake me wake me, melodie, just as long as u need me, something about u, you keep running away, aint no woman like the one I got, climb every mountain
    No one at motown can match his vocal range . I cherish my four topsbox set FOUREVER.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    Levi stubbs, I love that mans voice from ask the lonely , baby i need your lovin, shake me wake me, melodie, just as long as u need me, something about u, you keep running away, aint no woman like the one I got, climb every mountain
    No one at motown can match his vocal range . I cherish my four topsbox set FOUREVER.
    Levi Stubbs was the greatest male vocalist to ever record for Motown Records and to me, he was the greatest male voice in R&B/Pop music. He could sing ANYTHING!.

Levi Stubbs was the greatest male vocalist to ever record for Motown Records and to me, he was the greatest male voice in R&B/Pop music. He could sing ANYTHING!.
    hi marvin you are right about levi what a voice. Im still looking for the four tops first and second cd. Miss u on supremes posts, dont let those fools upsett u u tell it like it is . I think ralpht set tnem straight.

hi marvin you are right about levi what a voice. Im still looking for the four tops first and second cd. Miss u on supremes posts, dont let those fools upsett u u tell it like it is . I think ralpht set tnem straight.
    Fran, I collected all my Four Tops albums years ago [[with most bought at the time of release) if they all never turn up on CD, I still have "Forever" the box set. I am not letting them upset me just because I state a fact or two that they do not like. They have the same ole routine and that is to go into personal attack mode and then follow that up by making up some of the most bizarre things and try to attach them to me. But anyway if I could get the Four Tops last lp on Motown, "Magic" from 1985 on CD I would be very happy!
    Last edited by marv2; 07-22-2014 at 12:49 AM.

What also makes this record so great is if you notice how the background vocals subtly change as the Tops goe "harder" and then the Andantes join up with their higher notes producing the effect of urging Levi's plea to sound more urgent! I'm telling you this was pure genius! LOL!

What also makes this record so great is if you notice how the background vocals subtly change as the Tops goe "harder" and then the Andantes join up with their higher notes producing the effect of urging Levi's plea to sound more urgent! I'm telling you this was pure genius! LOL!
    I never heard the last motown cd on the tops, were the a's still doing the tops bkds by 85. I may order the the for tops 2nd lp on amazon if its still in print.

I never heard the last motown cd on the tops, were the a's still doing the tops bkds by 85. I may order the the for tops 2nd lp on amazon if its still in print.
    Fran, unfortunately I recently learned that the last Four Tops album never made it to CD. Oh and no the Andantes were not on the Four Tops 1985 album. They had not recorded with the Tops for a very long time by then.