[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyLola View Post
    Why stoop down the Marv level Lulu? I take back any complements I gave you in the past. While you're not a liar like some person, your twatish comment is well just that ... TWATISH!
    Oh dear Lola, I was just making a funny. I refrain from vile and disgusting comments about Mary because I DON'T CARE ABOUT HER!

LadyLola Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    Oh dear Lola, I was just making a funny. I refrain from vile and disgusting comments about Mary because I DON'T CARE ABOUT HER!
    I see. Point taken and point proven.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyLola View Post
    I see. Point taken and point proven.
    Now, let's go get some buttered popcorn and call it a night!

LadyLola Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    Now, let's go get some buttered popcorn and call it a night!
    OK sweetie ...... xoxoxo

supremester Guest
    It sure would! I can just imagine the fun it would be discussing music no one likes just so we could pretend we're better than those who like hit records. I hope my ego never gets THAT needy - I guess I'd have to quit liking I Love Lucy and prefer I Married Joan or The Bailys of Balboa.... sigh
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I think Diana Ross and Supremes discussions would be a lot different around here if their fans were more like indie music snobs who are ashamed and embarrassed when their favorite act has hit records because it's a sign of selling out and appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    It sure would! I can just imagine the fun it would be discussing music no one likes just so we could pretend we're better than those who like hit records. I hope my ego never gets THAT needy - I guess I'd have to quit liking I Love Lucy and prefer I Married Joan or The Bailys of Balboa.... sigh
    LOL. I had a friend like that. As soon as an "artist" he liked went mainstream, he hated them!

smark21 Guest
    Indie snobs that I described above can be as absurd as fans of teenybopper acts [[One Direction, Justin Bieber) or diva pop acts [[Ross, Supremes, Gaga, Mariah, Madonna, etc) who get too fixated on charts and sales. The first fan group I hung out with on the internet were Frank Sinatra fans in the late 90s. They were smart and knew music and while there were discussion of sales and the like, they weren't impressed by all of Sinatra's biggest hit albums [[like the Duets albums) or singles [[such as Strangers in the Night). Most of them had score for the more blatantly commercial side of the music business [[as represented by Columbia A and R head Mitch Miller who tried to get Sinatra to record novelty songs to get a hit in the early 50s during a career slump), but appreciated when something they considered good did well in its time, but also discussed the more obscure albums and gem recordings without the lament you find in Supremes; Gaga; Madonna, etc discussions [[i.e., "this song should have been a hit [[whine whine)").

I can't remember where I read or who wrote it [[and too lazy at the moment to google it), but one quote that has stuck with me: "As I grow older I no longer care what people think of me; I care what I think of others". To me, that's a quote about growth and attaining maturity.

The same can be applied to music--it's nice if it's a hit, but I don't care if lots of other people enjoy the recording, it's more important I like it. And I'm concerned when an act I generally like puts out something I don't care for. Who cares if a song from years ago was a hit or not; if it's still available in some form or fashion [[and there are a lot of obscure songs out there now for one to hear) for people to discover and enjoy [[or be apathetic about, or disdain).