[REMOVE ADS]

Kiki Dee - The Day Will Come Beteeen Sunday And Monday

Jean was about 1000x better. Or maybe 2000x. Not sure.
    I can hear the Andantes on this version.

I always liked this record. Is the rest of the GREAT EXPECTATIONS like this? I used to see it often in cutout bins, but never bought it.

I recall some time around early 1970 hearing a BBC radio interview with KIKI DEE when she proudly announced that she had signed for Motown. Then a few weeks later "The Day Will Come" was released in the U.K. on Tamla-Motown and got a smidgeon of airplay before sinking without trace. Then to add insult to injury the record wasn't included in the "Blues & Soul" listing of "Soul/R&B" U.K. releases in 1970.

Personally I always liked the record, though I would agree that there were a number of female singers signed to Motown at that time who were better vocalists than Miss Dee [[something I'm sure she herself would agree with).

Her "Great Expectations" was released on C.D. in the U.K. some years ago ..

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Makes-Wor...t+expectations

I bought it when it came out and it makes pleasant enough listening. For me, after "The Day Will Come" the most memorable track on it is her version of "Love Makes The world Around" ...

Roger

Actually - the video of "The Day Will Come....." is great. How good to see Kiki Dee performing her Motown work and she does a an excellent job. I've always liked her version of the song - this just makes it better. Thanks.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    What a bored looking audience!

Tbfxt & Roger - Thanks so much for posting both of the tracks. Enjoyed them very, very much, especially SUNDAY/MONDAY. Kiki sounds great.

Thanks for finding and posting this John.

I've always liked this track - and the B side.

Reese: the rest of the LP, Great Expectations, is just as good as this track.

As someone has mentioned, this LP, and other tracks recorded whilst at Motown [[hence the title "love makes the world go round - the motown years"). It was released in 2005, and is still available on Amazon for under £6 so an excellent bargain.

I cant take the credit for finding this. I got it from Facebook and shared it here.

Glad you guys liked it and I agree with smark that the audience are not looking particularly interested.

Kiki looks heavier here than I've ever seen her. Maybe the screen needs stretching to make her appear taller and slimmer rather than shorter and wider.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I always liked this record. Is the rest of the GREAT EXPECTATIONS like this? I used to see it often in cutout bins, but never bought it.
    I think you might have missed out Reese. This was a great album and typical of that late 60's Motown Sound. In 1974, we in the UK had a re-issue with 2 replacement tracks Oh Be My Love and I'll Try Something New. Those 2 are better than what was replaced. I suggest you try the CD version that Roger suggested above.

I think you might have missed out Reese. This was a great album and typical of that late 60's Motown Sound. In 1974, we in the UK had a re-issue with 2 replacement tracks Oh Be My Love and I'll Try Something New. Those 2 are better than what was replaced. I suggest you try the CD version that Roger suggested above.
    Thank you all for the info.

This track was written by Joe Hinton and Pam Sawyer, but if anyone had told me it was an Ashford-Simpson composition, I would have believed them.

Here's Kiki's story brought up to date [[well it's from 2013) by her old local paper, the Telegraph & Argus in Bradford, Yorkshire, in the north of the UK.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.u..._50_hit_years/

I think The Day... is the strongest of her Motown tracks and merited its release as a single, and I also like Love Makes The World Go Round. Of all the tracks, this sounds the most 'Snakepit' if you get what I mean, even if the Funks are pretty restrained on it. It's got a really good groove.

I didn't know that Kiki was only with Motown for 3 months. Seems a bit short to give her a full opportunity to make her star shine brighter.

A very nice performance, very nice sound. I like Kiki Dee.

Jean's version is the ONLY version, and should have been a Supremes single..

Love both versions. Thanks for making me aware of this JL

EMI sub label Sounds Superb released Great Expectations [[late 70's?) in a new sleeve and renamed....
    The Day Will Come....on vinyl
    I have a copy of this and the GE CD. And you can too, on ebay,link below........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KIKI-DEE-T...item2ed4441188

This is a buy it now.........
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NORTHERN-S...item33921af4f6

There are at least 2 more and I got over 10 pages from a Kiki Dee search in records.

The 2005 CD consisted of 18 tracks, 4 of which had never previously been released.

Producers are not shown on the sleeve-notes. For anyone interested they are as follows:
    Track 1 Clay McMurray
    2,5,6,7,12,13,14,15,17,18 Frank Wilson
    3,4,8,11 Duke Browner
    9 Raynard Miner
    10 Jack Goga
    16 Henry Cosby.

honest man Guest
    Brilliant cd you need to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Brilliant cd you need to buy it.
    I agree! Honest man doesn't tell pork pies!I bought it as soon it was out.I always wanted the Great Expectations LP
    It was on the TM UK's LP inner sleeves in the early 70's. I still bought the CD even though I had the Sounds Superb Version of the LP.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    I agree! Honest man doesn't tell pork pies!I bought it as soon it was out.I always wanted the Great Expectations LP
    It was on the TM UK's LP inner sleeves in the early 70's. I still bought the CD even though I had the Sounds Superb Version of the LP.
    same here mate, great bit of late 60s motown

Before this, I only knew the Supremes' version of the song [[from their box set in 2000). Kiki Dee sounds good here and the song has that 'Classic Motown' feel. Thanks for posting this.