[REMOVE ADS]

motown 400 series

apparently theres gonna be a 400 series and "Money" is gonna be the first release...any info??

RossHolloway Guest
    where did you get this information?

The Classic Motown Facebook page..apparently the TMG numbering system is being resurrected here in the U.K with the first release being "Money" on TMG 402..strictly limited editions tho.

They hope to be releasing all the singles that were released here on the various labels before Tamla Motown began in 1965.

RossHolloway Guest
    Do you mean all the 45s? That would seem very odd..

Well thats what it says on the FB page ..why would it seem odd RH?

RossHolloway Guest
    Well let me rephrase that- What format will these releases be in? Surely not actual 45s, especially when all the 45s are available via iTunes or other digital releases. Will you keep us posted when you find out more information?

yeah vinyl 45's... the recent box sets must have shifted a few copies I reckon..I think it will be an awesome collection for us Motown vinyl junkies..imagine seeing Mike and the Modifiers name on an actual Motown label.

sorry...and sure I will keep you posted RH.

thanks mysterysinger..Im not very computer literate so couldn't do this yesterday.

We are delighted to announce the first of hopefully many new Tamla Motown single releases. Starting this month Universal Music Catalogue will be making available for the first time Motown singles that were released in the UK on a variety of labels [[London American, Fontana, Oriole and Stateside) before the formation of Tamla Motown in the UK in 1965 with the newly created TMG 400 series. Ardent Motown fans will know that the Tamla Motown label was launched in March 1965 with the release of The Supremes' Stop! In The Name Of Love with the catalogue number of TMG 501. UMC are now going back to the singles that were released before and creating a new classic house bag that reflects the glory of the label.
    Money [[That's What I Want) by Barrett Strong was actually Motown's second release in the UK, issued on the London American label in April 1960: it provided the label with its first US hit and is commonly thought of as 'the first Motown single'. It seemed appropriate that we begin this landmark series of releases with Strong's classic, made famous in 1963 when it was covered by The Beatles on arguably the most influential blue-eyed soul album of all-time With The Beatles.
    Releases on the newly created TMG 400 series, will be released as strictly limited edition pressings on heavyweight vinyl, and available exclusively through www.uvinyl.co.uk/

Blimey,how much is this lot going to end up costing? I can see the attraction in a way but its contrived as the single/label connection obviously didn't exist. I've got all the complete singles, I've got all artist's anthologies,LP's,CD's so why would I or most Motown collectors want something that never was? Maybe its just me,like I said,I can see the attraction,possibly growing in value due to limited edition. Whats the limited run figure?

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    Blimey,how much is this lot going to end up costing? I can see the attraction in a way but its contrived as the single/label connection obviously didn't exist. I've got all the complete singles, I've got all artist's anthologies,LP's,CD's so why would I or most Motown collectors want something that never was? Maybe its just me,like I said,I can see the attraction,possibly growing in value due to limited edition. Whats the limited run figure?
    I agree. I just don't see the point of this exercise. I'd much rather have another Cellarfull release or more Anthologies or Blinky's work released or more live material released- like the live material recorded in Cleveland as a run up to the Motown Mondays recorded in 1966.

well im a Motown fan and whatever they release is good by me.

Sure looks interesting but not sure I can justify the spend. £6.99 is not too bad but times that by 100. Plus, in theory, I no longer collect vinyl though I can still feel a pull on this and it's quite exciting!

Do we know what TMG401 is or will it be Marv Johnson's "Come To Me"? Can see why they would launch with "Money" though as it is so well known.

What a great game though - guessing the release sequence. Of course I can't wait for Tony Martin's "Talking To Your Picture" - maybe TMG499?

Of course there were some originally released on Oriole, Stateside etc that saw later release on Tamla Motown so should be excluded - "Do You Love Me", "Needle In A Haystack", "My Guy" and so on. But how about Brenda's "Every Little Bit Hurts" - has that seen TMG release? Could be a great series.

Mysterysinger you're forgetting the 1.99 postage x 100. Ok so I've bitten & pre-ordered "Money", which I won't have any of by the time TMG499 gets released. I'd rather they'd have reissued the EP's with original sleeves.

Why start in the 400's? That seems a bit odd to me.

Maybe the thought of the 400's is that these were all released before the 500's [[TMG501).

Well I for one am really hopeful that this series sells by the thousand - i'm not sure that the very low placing of this thread here reflects that considering you guys are the main purchasers of Motown product save for the 'every couple of years' Motown Gold kinda compilations. Just not too sure who the prospective buyers for these are as the value of these singles lies in the imprint onto which they were first released and their antiquity value. But perhaps DJ's will be the ones that need them to play at clubs. Perhaps now this market is turning there will be room for some more obscure releases.

Are these releases linked to the 50th anniversary of the label next year? I'd heard that a number of events were planned to celebrate. It seems quite imaginative to anticipate the event by releasing the preTM singles and the use of 400s seems quite clever.
    Are they intending to re-release all or only a selection of those that might be more in-demand?
    It will certainly satisfy a demand amongst those who like to play vinyl. It is probably also quite a clever way of keeping the heritage alive by ensuring that vinyl copies of the rarer items remain available for future generations.
    6.99 for a vinyl 45 that you will play doesn't seem a steep price to pay in comparison to the cost of buying the original vinyl when it becomes available. I certainly wouldn't buy 100 but certainly there are sure to be a number that interest me and others like me.

Will cause headaches with the OVO set.....[[original vinyl only......a sort of sub culture among some of the NS crowd........who want vinyl only, and the OVO.....).
    Will these be classed as OVO regarding the 400 series.....or will it cause shame to play a 400 when there is an Oriole out there....my brain hurts thinking about it LOL

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Will cause headaches with the OVO set.....[[original vinyl only......a sort of sub culture among some of the NS crowd........who want vinyl only, and the OVO.....).
    Will these be classed as OVO regarding the 400 series.....or will it cause shame to play a 400 when there is an Oriole out there....my brain hurts thinking about it LOL
    Shame they didn't start with the real first UK Motown single though and with TMG 401 like the 500 series but that's nitpicking.

I still thnk TMG401 will be Marv Johnson's "Come To Me" lol. Hopefully the series will do well. I wonder if they'll also include The Spinners "That's What Girls Are Made For" [[ex UK Columbia)?

As an OVO regarding northern soul, I can understand it.
    However I play lots besides and will quite happily play Motown at home as long as the vinyl is good quality. Quite frankly the original Stateside and TMG is not the best quality vinyl. Oriole was the best for UK Motown. US and Dutch vinyl is generally the best IMO.

If the quality of these new vinyls is up to the quality of the box sets, they will be worth owning.

Just thought it worth bringing this back to the fore as I almost forgot about the new TMG400 series of 45s. I can't spot any additions other than "Money" at the moment. Did anyone take the plunge?

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    I agree. I just don't see the point of this exercise. I'd much rather have another Cellarfull release or more Anthologies or Blinky's work released or more live material released- like the live material recorded in Cleveland as a run up to the Motown Mondays recorded in 1966.
    Ross, I agree with you. We already have the Complete Motown Singles, Vol. 1-12. Instead of duplicate reissues, bring on the Various Artists "Cellarful [[Vol. 5)", Complete Blinky, and Complete Fantastic Four. It would make a lot more sense.

I wonder what master is used to make these 45's. Are they made from remastered digital source or what? Is the sound quality better than the original 50 year old pressings? That would be the OVO concern IMO.

If you have to ask you haven't any idea what some of them are like or rather dont like.

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    If you have to ask you haven't any idea what some of them are like or rather dont like.

I'm sorry , but I don't understand your comment. Could you elaborate please?

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Ross, I agree with you. We already have the Complete Motown Singles, Vol. 1-12. Instead of duplicate reissues, bring on the Various Artists "Cellarful [[Vol. 5)", Complete Blinky, and Complete Fantastic Four. It would make a lot more sense.
    Regarding my reply above, I was referring to Motown concentrating on CD's [[or, if necessary, downloads) for future releases/reissues. As for vinyl, already been there and done that. - Gary

Did this actually happen - anyone receive TMG402? Seems to have folded perhaps.