[REMOVE ADS]

Concord now the owner of Vee-Jay catalogue

From Music Week and Hollywood Reporter:

The catalogue of influential jazz, blues and R&B label Vee-Jay Records has been acquired by Concord Music Group. Other labels in the Concord Music Group roster include Stax, Concord Records and Rounder Records.

Vee-Jay Records’ catalogue includes 5,000 master recordings from the likes of Little Richard, John Lee Hooker, Betty Everett, Jimmy Reed and Jerry Butler as well as many others. The label was founded by husband-and-wife team Vivian Carter and James C. Bracket, in Gary, Indiana in 1953.

Concord Music Group president and CEO Glen Barros said: “The range and richness of Vee-Jay’s catalogue is truly remarkable. We’re grateful to be its guardians and look forward to broadening this unique musical legacy.”

I guess that means all the material issued via Charly including the recent box set will be deleted.

I assume that's why Charly issued the 10cd box set, they knew the end was nigh. Concord haven't done a right lot with the Stax catalogue. So I don't see much hope for future Vee Jay releases, however only time will tell.

I agree mr soul. Concord also owns Speciality and Fantasy and they haven't done much with them in recent years either. We can only assume that they bought Vee-Jay because they want to do something with it. Charly has done pretty well over the last couple of years, but let's hope Concord do more than just issue a couple of greatest hits collections. I'd also like Concord to dig deep into the Fantasy archives and reissue some of the soul material that came out in the 70s. But I think it unlikely.

alanh probably get the dreaded digital download versions of the catalogues.

And............they don't pay royalties!

S.S.

They dont do much vinyl either

With regard to Concord and the Fantasy soul material, I think they're just content to license it out to Ace and let the people who really want it seek it out.

Best,

Mark

Yes Mark, and the Artists receive no royalties.

As one of the richest companies in the world...you'd think they'd pay the Artists their due royalties. SMH!

S.S.