[REMOVE ADS]

Anyone remember sherrick

i USED TO LOVE THIS SONG

Absolutely I remember him.... especially his version of Baby, I'm For Real

I dug both of these songs. Reading his back story was really sad, though. Some people have demons that they just can't lose and he was definitely one of those.

Part of his story is in Raynomas book. He was very talented I remember seeing his videos on tv and thinking he is going to be a star.

I still have his album, and his "Baby, I'm for Real" could be the best cover of this song. I also remember his appearance on Soul Train.
    I always wondered why the talented singer like him disappeared after only one album, then I heard or read the rumor somewhere that he died from AIDS, and I believed it. To be honest, the way he looked convinced me, haha.
    But now I just read his bio on all music, and it really saddened me. He was a cocaine addict.
    He died in 99 at age 41, means he was 29 in 87. What was his life like between age 30 to 41? How did he survive? What did he do to make a living? Did his wife support him?
    Sometimes life can be so tragic.

Yes, and he left a kid to wonder why she wasn't a good enough reason for daddy to straighten his life out.

"Just Call" was one of my favourite records back in 1987 .. his biography at http://www.allmusic.com/artist/sherr...7367/biography states that "Just Call" reached #30 in the U.K. ... however according to my "Guinness Book of British Hit Records" it peaked at #23. Having checked my U.S. chart position data it seems "Just Call" peaked at #8 on the Billboard R&B chart without getting into the "Pop" Hot-100 . He had a great voice and until I read that biography on allmusic.com I had assumed that I had never heard anything more from him due to changing public tastes .. it is a huge shame that he threw his life away.

Roger

Another happy by-product of Ruth Pointer's memoir is she finally solved the mystery of Sherrick's "Just Call." I remember hearing and loving this song decades ago [[late 80s) but I'd mistakenly assumed it was Kashif. Over a year ago, club artist/DJ/producer Adri Block did a re-edit of the track titled "My Last Call" which sampled the original extensively [[epic!). I looked everywhere for this "Kashif" song and couldn't find it.

Reading Ruth's book, she mentioned that she'd been involved with an artist named Sherrick who had a hit titled "Just Call" -- BINGO!

Of course, if I'd known the artist or song name I could have just found it at SoulfulDetroit, you folks know everything.

https://youtu.be/9wlcQPvZ-uY

https://youtu.be/9wlcQPvZ-uY