[REMOVE ADS]

Rare-The Supremes - Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love

Very nice.....very sexy!

This was the one Motown track that I especially enjoy, but I'm really staggered it got through quality control.... that lisping 'sthhwweet sthwweet love' grates on me after a while. I cannot imagine it was written and intended to be sung that way - does anybody know if another version exists of this track without it?

I believe that Kim Weston cu this song also

http://youtu.be/YxjTk45-l68
    Last edited by rod_rick; 07-08-2014 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    I believe that Kim Weston cu this song also

http://youtu.be/YxjTk45-l68
    whoa! kim does a great job on "your wonderful sweet, sweet love". seems as if miss weston was never treated as well as her many talents warranted. who would ever think being married to a producer would limit rather than expand your chances of getting your work released? motown can be so bewildering many times.

supremester Guest
    Kim does a killer job on the song - better than Jean, I think, but Motown could only do so much. They grew at a historic rate for such a little company, dominating Pop music just a few years after they began and still are being criticized and questioned for not doing enough???? I'm SMH - I'm sure that no company in any form of entertainment has ever hit so hard, so big, so fast. I just can't believe I'm still reading these comments. Kim was a great singer. There are tons of great singers. GREAT. Jennifer Hudson, to me has an amazing voice - Aretha quality . She's not able to hit commercially live or on record. Clive Davis is trying. The public decides who hits. Kim left Motown like Mary Wells, Jean and others - most to even less success.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Kim does a killer job on the song - better than Jean, I think, but Motown could only do so much. They grew at a historic rate for such a little company, dominating Pop music just a few years after they began and still are being criticized and questioned for not doing enough???? I'm SMH - I'm sure that no company in any form of entertainment has ever hit so hard, so big, so fast. I just can't believe I'm still reading these comments. Kim was a great singer. There are tons of great singers. GREAT. Jennifer Hudson, to me has an amazing voice - Aretha quality . She's not able to hit commercially live or on record. Clive Davis is trying. The public decides who hits. Kim left Motown like Mary Wells, Jean and others - most to even less success.
    Agree on Kim. I was never a big Jean fan. Her voice was lovely but to me, nothing remarkable. Kim's post-Motown work is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Well ... yes ... however the KIM WESTON version was cut in October 1966, over five years before the JMC/SUPREMES version, which was recorded in February 1972. I suspect that the folks at Motown were looking for another "Retro-60s" hit for the ladies to follow up "Floy Joy" and SMOKEY ROBINSON remembered this song of his that had been consigned to the vaults.

Personally I prefer Miss Weston's take on the song to this later version [[which I also like a lot), but it is basically comparing Motown in 1966 to Motown in 1972, and I know which I prefer.

Roger

I love Kim's vocals, but the instrumental track is rather dull in my opinion. Don't know if it was cut in LA or not. If it was then that explains why the track was shelved.

I always preferred the Supremes track and I'm honestly surprised it didn't chart better. It should have done better than it.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I love Kim's vocals, but the instrumental track is rather dull in my opinion. Don't know if it was cut in LA or not. If it was then that explains why the track was shelved.

I always preferred the Supremes track and I'm honestly surprised it didn't chart better. It should have done better than it.
    I like both version but I do prefer the Supremes over Kim. I would love to hear the first few takes by Jean on this and a few other Supreme led songs. The producers kept Jean in a nice little box. When you compare her live versions of songs to the studio version at times her vocal is miles apart from the original for the better.

The Supremes version was the best. It was soulful, it was funky and it had a great beat and was easy to dance to! Jean Terrell was probably the best female vocalist to ever record for Motown!

I don't thing the song was strong enough to be a single. I marginally prefer Kim Weston's version.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    An interesting theory bradsupremes but my theory is that it was shelved because Kim left the company. Judging from the notes in her Motown Anthology CD it was probably her last recording for Motown and was finished on 27th October 1966. Her duet with MARVIN GAYE "It Takes Two" must have already been scheduled for release by then as it came out in the U.S. on 2nd December 1966. By the time "It Takes Two" was nearing the top of the charts she had gone.

Whether the KIM WESTON version of the song would have charted if released in early 1967 is anyone's guess, though I'm sure it would have become a well known and sought after oldie.

Roger

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I don't thing the song was strong enough to be a single. I marginally prefer Kim Weston's version.
    I concur. Jean's voice is lovely and pleasant but not enough to carry this tune aside from it being an album track. I'd have been curious to hear it had it been delayed and recorded with Scherrie Payne up front. "Technically", I think Scherrie has the strongest voice in the group. Lynda Laurence is a close second but unfortunately we never got to hear her up front until later years with the FLOS and on the RTL tour. Looking back on the albums and singles, the girls had a tough time hitting their stride, particularly artistically in the early 70s as times were changing and the "girl group" vibe had already been phased out. Sure we had The Three Degrees but I'd say The Honey Cone and Labelle hit the mark in terms of what was going on at the time in the industry. I really think that the last two albums and singles should have fared better as they are [[and were in the black, gay, garage discos at the time) prime disco cuts and I think that last pairing of MSS was ideal for that sound. Mary's ballads are also really fantastic and there are some real gems in between the more upbeat tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    I concur. Jean's voice is lovely and pleasant but not enough to carry this tune aside from it being an album track. I'd have been curious to hear it had it been delayed and recorded with Scherrie Payne up front. "Technically", I think Scherrie has the strongest voice in the group. Lynda Laurence is a close second but unfortunately we never got to hear her up front until later years with the FLOS and on the RTL tour. Looking back on the albums and singles, the girls had a tough time hitting their stride, particularly artistically in the early 70s as times were changing and the "girl group" vibe had already been phased out. Sure we had The Three Degrees but I'd say The Honey Cone and Labelle hit the mark in terms of what was going on at the time in the industry. I really think that the last two albums and singles should have fared better as they are [[and were in the black, gay, garage discos at the time) prime disco cuts and I think that last pairing of MSS was ideal for that sound. Mary's ballads are also really fantastic and there are some real gems in between the more upbeat tracks.
    the 70s supremes had some fantastic music unf with each yr the accolades became lessened. Although they had a resurgence with the high energy project yielding a top 40 hit in retrospect tbe group with jean on lead was the most significant one , the 5 top 20 records however unpromoted were hits and 1970 was their prime yr. Your wonderful sweet love was a gem and I like it better than kims which was not release as a single the supremes version hit number 22 rb and 56pop.