[REMOVE ADS]

Aretha Franklin "Diva Covers Album" in 2014 produced by Andre 3000 and Babyface

http://music-mix.ew.com/2014/06/26/a...ranklin-album/

I hate that Clive Davis is executive producing this. I liked it better when Danger Mouse and Don Was were involved. At least someone interesting like Andre 3000 is involved!

I hate the concept. For anyone that criticizes Aretha's song choices during her Columbia years, it seems she is coming full circle to inappropriate song choices [[starting with her covers of "The Way We Were" and "Theme From A Summer Place" from her last mess of an album)!
    Last edited by pghmusiclover; 07-04-2014 at 02:39 PM.

Anything Aretha does I am going to like!

In concert I have seen Aretha Franklin perform, "You Light Up My Life, "Singing in the Rain," and "Bring In The Clowns." Her versions of "[[Theme From) A Summer Place," and "The Way We Were" were saved by her distinctive take on these songs. If Aretha is given free reign to explore any material in her unique manner, I'm always up to listen.

I once saw/heard her perform a cover of Diana Ross' Surrender. The house rocked so hard the pavillion floor went into a sinus rhythm sending folks up and down. I would love to have a permanent recording of Miss Ree singing Surrender.

As much as I love Aretha, she's been covering divas songs her entire career going all the way back to Dinah Washington. The addition of Andre 3000 may make this interesting but I'm going to cross my fingers here. Her last few recordings have been somewhat lackluster. This would be a great time to give us something hot and new but hopefully I'm wrong.

smark21 Guest
    Clive Davis exec producing the project is not a cause for great optimism.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Clive Davis exec producing the project is not a cause for great optimism.
    I agree wholeheartedly!

Clive has had his days, why not stand back with some dignity!

Aretha has had her day as a recording artist. She should just stick to performing her vast and amazing back catalogue! On stage what you now see is what you now get. On recordings her voice has been tweaked to the point of no return!

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Aretha has had her day as a recording artist. She should just stick to performing her vast and amazing back catalogue! On stage what you now see is what you now get. On recordings her voice has been tweaked to the point of no return!
    I somewhat agree with you copley. It's called bowing out gracefully

Some updated information. It is NOT a surprise when you tell people in advance!

http://www.showbiz411.com/2014/09/17...al-adele-cover

I am definitely looking forward to this, since Aretha has done some great covers in her time: "Spanish Harlem", "Bridge Over Troubled Water", "Brand New Me", and "I Say A Little Prayer" come to mind off the top of my head! [[She has also done some wretched ones like those on her last awful album, including "The Way We Were" and "Theme From A Summer Place".)

Incidentally, I know the Motown-ers here will be happy with the statement "as well as a cover of a Supremes hit," though they don't mention which one...
    Last edited by pghmusiclover; 09-18-2014 at 09:34 AM.

Tracklisting according to Amazon.com:

1. People
    2. Rolling In The Deep [[The Aretha Version)
    3. Midnight Train To Georgia
    4. I Will Survive [[The Aretha Version)
    5. At Last
    6. No One
    7. I'm Every Woman/RESPECT
    8. Teach Me Tonight
    9. Keep Me Hanging On
    10. Nothing Compares 2 U

Amazon also mentions that "I Will Survive" is a mash-up with Destiny's Child "I'm A Survivor".

You can hear Aretha's version of "Rolling In The Deep" [[with a little bit of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" interspersed):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNWeGngQqOI#t=65