[REMOVE ADS]

about THAT Florence Ballard "Blondie" Film!http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/th

smark21 Guest
    He was certainly a gullible mark. Interesting article. Too bad he didn't mention the official FAcebook page that was set up for the movie. It was very amateurish with the moderator posting all these Christian inspirational quotes. It was an appalling though entertaining car wreck of a Facebook page. But when Evans left the production with no explanation from the site, pretty much everyone abandoned it. All in all a tawdry project.

So unfortunate! Blondie lives on in our memories and in our hearts. We love you Florence Ballard.

LadyLola Guest
    This has Gordy and Ross' finger prints ALL over it!! They paid that woman to screw this up!!!

Please. I don't consider myself a mark, since I lost nothing and gained tons of publicity. Maybe the next offer will be a real one.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLola View Post
    This has Gordy and Ross' finger prints ALL over it!! They paid that woman to screw this up!!!
    LOL that made me laugh!

All joking aside, I really wish people would just let Florence Ballard REST IN PEACE! I get so tired of people always bringing up the negative aspects of her life like being on welfare and all that and making her out to be some big, tragic victim. SHE'S NOT! She was a unique, funny and beautiful woman who was 1/3 of the GREATEST girl group of all time and made quite a positive impression on this Supremes fan [[she's my favorite), she was and always will be a SUPREME!

Crystaledwards Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pbenjamson@aol.com View Post
    Please. I don't consider myself a mark, since I lost nothing and gained tons of publicity. Maybe the next offer will be a real one.
    And what of the Chapman girls who were paraded around Detroit and exploited by posing for photographs with Ms, Evans by their mothers shoddy graveside. Would it be fair to say they were a mark Mr. Benjaminson? You don't seem to show much empathy for them. You may have lost nothing, however from my vantage point, you certainly didn't gain much. Your naivete and lack of understanding of the film business is astounding. Who sells a screenplay for $100 even with an option? Do you know how often Hollywood dangles the fake 'We will even give you a small but pivotal role' carrot in front of a writer? As for your next movie option I have a strong feeling that is unlikely to happen soon but if it does, you may want to seek the proper counsel, guidance and representation.

CE

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystaledwards View Post
    And what of the Chapman girls who were paraded around Detroit and exploited by posing for photographs with Ms, Evans by their mothers shoddy graveside. Would it be fair to say they were a mark Mr. Benjaminson? You don't seem to show much empathy for them. You may have lost nothing, however from my vantage point, you certainly didn't gain much. Your naivete and lack of understanding of the film business is astounding. Who sells a screenplay for $100 even with an option? Do you know how often Hollywood dangles the fake 'We will even give you a small but pivotal role' carrot in front of a writer? As for your next movie option I have a strong feeling that is unlikely to happen soon but if it does, you may want to seek the proper counsel, guidance and representation.

CE
    Here here! That opening quote about Gordy and Ross...mmmm in poor taste and not true. Flo was her own worse enemy. The blame game is such a crock. Let's not even chat about securing the music rights. Not gonna happen...

smark21 Guest
    Frankly a more interesting movie can be made out of this scam/con job than out of the Florence Ballard story. Benjaminson may not have been scammed out of money, but those "producers" certainly played him and strung him along by stroking his ego by saying he would be a major character in the movie portrayed by an Oscar winning [[if down on his skids) actor. None of the actors and directors and writers who were briefly associated with the project were of a list caliber--either being one time, long ago sensations, or industry hacks. I also now recall the "media package" the so called producers put together--showing clips of Faith Evans visiting Detroit. They made it by putting their iphone by a TV set and recording a TV news story. That alone should have tipped off anyone who still thought they were legit that something was seriously awry with the project.

Crystaledwards:

Peter is human and this could have happened to anyone. Just so you know Peter gave a percentage [[I dont know how much and its none of my business) to Flos girls for the sale of his book the Lost Supreme I would hardly think that he would look at those girls as though he shows no empathy for them. If I am wrong Peter correct me or add to what I have said if you wish. I dont want to speak for you and make a mistake.

Crystaledwards Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Crystaledwards:

Peter is human and this could have happened to anyone. Just so you know Peter gave a percentage [[I dont know how much and its none of my business) to Flos girls for the sale of his book the Lost Supreme I would hardly think that he would look at those girls as though he shows no empathy for them. If I am wrong Peter correct me or add to what I have said if you wish. I dont want to speak for you and make a mistake.
    Your devotion of Mr. Benjaminson while admirable is rather misguided. As both a Rolling Stone subscriber and member of this forum I have every right to respectfully offer my opinion and perspective on an article, which Benjaminson composed for the magazine and was shared here. Perhaps Peter should personally respond to me instead of you speaking on his behalf.

Mr. Benjaminson may be human but his 'I lost nothing and gained tons of publicity' comment is beguiling and rather insulting to the stupid woman who foolishly and greedily put up $3,000 which was never returned. This movie was a shambles from day one and anyone with an ounce of smarts would have seen that this D list, and I am being kind, bunch of smarmy producers were nothing but a bunch of fifth rate con-artists. I doubt Adrian Brody saw a script or synopsis let alone a contract.

Peter Benjaminson's ego blinded his judgement in my opinion.

CE

Crystaledwards:

Peter Benjaminson is brilliant. A great writer [[I have the book on Flo and others he's written years ago......, ) I also believe he is a decent guy.

I also believe a film will eventually be made about Florence and from Peter's book.

Crystaledwards Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Peter Benjaminson is brilliant. A great writer [[I have the book on Flo and others he's written years ago......, ) I also believe he is a decent guy.

I also believe a film will eventually be made about Florence and from Peter's book.
    'Peter Benjaminson is brilliant. A great writer'

Mr. Benjaminson would be wise to use your succinct review on the back of his next biography. Writers and publishers thrive on such audacious praise.

CE

Quote Originally Posted by Crystaledwards View Post
    'Peter Benjaminson is brilliant. A great writer'

Mr. Benjaminson would be wise to use your succinct review on the back of his next biography. Writers and publishers thrive on such audacious praise.

CE
    I would love it if he did. They make 'em great in Detroit. Been reading Peter's books since my college days.

Lulu Guest
    This guy sums it up pretty well:

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing...Truth mixed with Myths and Lies, A Frustrating Read,October 15, 2009
    By
    saint james [[Boston, MA) - See all my reviews

This review is from: The Lost Supreme: The Life of Dreamgirl Florence Ballard [[Hardcover)
    I love the Supremes. I am a devotee of their music and history. I wanted to read this book to get the real deal about Flo after leaving the internationally known, iconic group. What I recieved was some info that appeared to be factual and much information that was myth adn some lies; told by Florence herself. I say that knowing it will alienate some.

Lies: Flo is the founding member of the Supremes: Florence did not start the Supremes; her future brother-in-law did, Milton Jenkins. He was a pimp and a fledgling manager and wanted to create a girl group as a counter part to a group he managed called the Primes. Flo heard of his intention and approached him and said: "I'll sing in your group, Mister!" She then recruited Mary Wilson. Paul Williams [[of the Primes/Temptations) recruited Diane Ross and the other singer in he group to be called the Primettes. Flo's dominant personality made her the Leader of the group but not the sole lead singer.

Lies: Flo was the lead singer when they came to Motown and Berry Gordy dropped her and made Diana the lead: On the Lupine Label as the Primettes Diana sang lead on the A side of the record and Mary on the B side. If Flo was the lead singer why wasn't she on either side? This is also a myth. Maxine Ballard wrote in her story of her sister Flo, that FLo was not the lead singer. Flo was considered by Mary to have the best voice of the group. Diana has said Flo was regal, beautiful and a big voice; too big for Supremes songs. Ross never felt that Flo was the best. Others who heard the group and many Motown artists preferred Flo's voice and approach to a song. The general feeling was that Flo was being stifled and placed in the background unfairly. Mary has written that they all sang lead on songs in the genre that fit their voices best. The initial record by the Primettes would lend much credibility to Mary's assertion.

Lies: Flo named the group: Florence was handed a group of names by a Motown employee within which was the name, The Supremes. Flo chose the name from that list. Berry Gordy told them they'd have to change the name before they were signed. Neither Mary or Diana liked the name initially. It is possible that Gordy had a list of names he owned so as to ensure control of that name when and if the group succeeded. Eventually that did happen; not even May who was with the group until its demise was able to use the name Supremes without facing litigation. The myth is that Flo was the lead singer of a groups she statrted and came to Motown as the lead singer and was demoted to background. People who know the Supreme's story via Dreamgirls would buy it.

Florence was an alcoholic. She blamed airplanes, stress, Gordy and Ross, etc. but she abused alcohol and so did her father. Florence's rape history and accompanying trauma were never dealt with in a clinically professional manner. This was very common amongst African Americans of that time. Her disappointment regarding lessening vocal significance in the group also lent to stress which led her to drink.

Motown did rob Flo of her money she rightfully earned. THey also financially raped Mary and Diana [[along with many other Motown groups). Gordy's unscrupulous practices robbed, witers, producers and performers. Ross has said that when she left Motown and took complete control of her finaces and accounts she only had a "few hundred thousand in the bank. Gordy gave her a Rolls Royce for Lady Sings. When she left the company it was repossessed as the car was only leased and Diana didn't own it. Florence never got was was rightfully hers, financially. She wa`s taken advantage of by a crooked lawyer. She married her fiance; a limo driver and subsequently made him her manager. A terribly bad decision. He did not help her career.
    Flo's recordings for ABC records were not properly pushed by the company and she was dropped after the one year contract.

Myth: Florence Ballard was a phenomenal singer with a voice that was similar to Aretha Franklin's own [[according to Mary Wilson). Well her CD whic had circulated ungerground for many years was released and there is no real evidence of Flo's great hidden talent. We hear a singer who is struggling to find her own sound. Her voice is strong and full but not uniquely distinct.

Florence was in a domestically violent marriage, her bio family helped her spend her dwindling funds and she lived with depression. Her story is tragic, sad and ended too early. Bejaminson's book adds additional info to the growing lexicon of books on The Supremes. I wish he'd been a little more objective and done additional research into the entire saga. I wish it were he that was discerning lies from myths and giving us the truth. Enjoyed reading it but it left me frustrated.

Crystaledwards Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I would love it if he did. They make 'em great in Detroit. Been reading Peter's books since my college days.
    That is splendid, after all, reading is knowledge and knowledge is power.

CE

Crystal E you are right you have every right to speak your mind and we can agree to disagree. And I know that there are other players in this mess that were hurt as well but I just felt it should be made known that when it comes to Flos daughters Peter would never do anything intentionally to harm them or the legacy of their mother. When it comes to all things Peter I will let him respond. From one forum member to another I respect your opinion even if I dont agree with all of it.

Lulu Guest
    Crystal E you are right you have every right to speak your mind and we can agree to disagree. And I know that there are other players in this mess that were hurt as well but I just felt it should be made known that when it comes to Flos daughters Peter would never do anything intentionally to harm them or the legacy of their mother. When it comes to all things Peter I will let him respond. From one forum member to another I respect your opinion even if I dont agree with all of it.
    I agree about Flo's children. I don't think Peter's intentions were mean-spirited with regards to them or their mother's legacy. HOWEVER, I've given up on these tomes that continue to portray their subjects as saints and victims who suffered at the expense of those who succeeded. Many of us know that is simply not true and is just another excuse to spin drama and sell books. Flo was her own worst enemy. Anyone with an objective look at Motown or The Supremes knows that.

Lulu
    I agree with you Miss Flo made some bad choices and none of the Supremes or other members of singing groups were saints. Im just glad that Peter [[from the tapes of Flos mouth) and others have written books about Motown and were able to tell their own stories and their point of view.

In honor of #TBT [[Throw back Thursday) you must read this thread from 2010 about the announcement of the Florence Ballard movie. It is funny and has a cast of characters posting.

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...ht=faith+evans

Lulu Guest
    Lulu
    I agree with you Miss Flo made some bad choices and none of the Supremes or other members of singing groups were saints. Im just glad that Peter [[from the tapes of Flos mouth) and others have written books about Motown and were able to tell their own stories and their point of view.
    I thought it was ticky tacky for him to open his Rolling Stone puff piece with a jab at Gordy/Ross. I guess that's what $ell$!!!

Peter, you'd be better off finacially if you would just gather your 8 hours of Flo interviews, get them into a CD box set, and sell the darn things. you'd make a mint!

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Peter, you'd be better off finacially if you would just gather your 8 hours of Flo interviews, get them into a CD box set, and sell the darn things. you'd make a mint!
    I don't think he'd find a publisher/label for them. I could see an mp3 audiobook on Amazon or iTunes but we know how some Supremes fans feel about having to download anything!

Lulu:
    You are right but this IS something I would download......

Lulu Guest
    Lulu:
    You are right but this IS something I would download......
    Oh, I would too but then I'd have to come here and read everybody complaining about not being able to hear Flo's "amazing" voice on their CD players. After all, it's 1994 on these boards for most folk!

Yeah, when all else fails, blame Diana and Berry. Yeah that always works. Really?

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    In honor of #TBT [[Throw back Thursday) you must read this thread from 2010 about the announcement of the Florence Ballard movie. It is funny and has a cast of characters posting.

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...ht=faith+evans
    Actually, what is really interesting about that thread is nearly the same group of Forum members discussing this topic, 4 years ago is almost the same group of members discussing it today. The discussion has remained between the same group of people with no sense of universality or ubiquity. [[If Peter Benjaminson is also a member of this Forum, I did not see a single comment from him).

Fact: 2 other members left The Supremes, or was it 3, Barbara Martin, Aka Barbara Randolph? And Betty McGlown with nary a word of the evil vixen, Diana and/or Berry being blamed for their leaving.

Fact: If Flo was indeed thought to be the lead singer, the Lupine releases do not support that theory as someone posted and my music collection demonstrates.

Fact: While the Florence Ballard "unreleased" Cd indicates a nice voice, there was nothing distinctive enough to claim some that neither Lupine, Motown or ABC/Paramount A&R reps failed to understand some great voice. Then again, the great John Hammond, after many attempts never knew how to find the right material for Aretha. With one move to Atlantic, the whole story changed. Maybe, just maybe, Florence never had the right producers. Doubtful, but, maybe.

To think about: "Unsung" nor the producers of the "Love, Valour & Compassion" movie could not afford to license Supremes music though it was used significantly during the Tony Award winning play. Puffy Combs, at the end of "Motown 40", comically pleads to Mr. Gordy that the Jobete catalog is expensive to license, though he eventually turned "I'm Coming Out", "Upside Down" and even "Theme from "Mahogany" into hip hop classics....so I guess he finally got his money back. He also turned "Missing You" into a hip hop track though I don't think that is a Jobete copyright. Is it?
    Last edited by Bokiluis; 07-05-2014 at 07:22 PM.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    Actually, what is really interesting about that thread is nearly the same group of Forum members discussing this topic, 4 years ago is almost the same group of members discussing it today. The discussion has remained between the same group of people with no sense of universality or ubiquity. [[If Peter Benjaminson is also a member of this Forum, I did not see a single comment from him).

Fact: 2 other members left The Supremes, or was it 3, Barbara Martin, Aka Barbara Randolph? And Betty McGlown with nary a word of the evil vixen, Diana and/or Berry being blamed for their leaving.

Fact: If Flo was indeed thought to be the lead singer, the Lupine releases do not support that theory as someone posted and my music collection demonstrates.

Fact: While the Florence Ballard "unreleased" Cd indicates a nice voice, there was nothing distinctive enough to claim some that neither Lupine, Motown or ABC/Paramount A&R reps failed to understand some great voice. Then again, the great John Hammond, after many attempts never knew how to find the right material for Aretha. With one move to Atlantic, the whole story changed. Maybe, just maybe, Florence never had the right producers. Doubtful, but, maybe.

To think about: "Unsung" nor the producers of the "Love, Valour & Compassion" movie could not afford to license Supremes music though it was used significantly during the Tony Award winning play. Puffy Combs, at the end of "Motown 40", comically pleads to Mr. Gordy that the Jobete catalog is expensive to license, though he eventually turned "I'm Coming Out", "Upside Down" and even "Theme from "Mahogany" into hip hop classics....so I guess he finally got his money back. He also turned "Missing You" into a hip hop track though I don't think that is a Jobete copyright. Is it?
    As truthful and serious as this was, I am giggling [[or cackling like a Disney villain or Lex Luthor)!

Who sold a screenplay for $100? You've veered off into fantasy.

Just to get this straight: 50 percent of my earning on the book go to the Ballard daughters and so will large percentages of the movie earnings when a legitimate movie is made of this book and they do not consider themselves victims of this movie scam, which has generated acres of publicity for our movie.

A final remark from me: If I were to follow my critics' advice, I would sit at home and refuse to respond to requests that might lead to additional glory for Flo and money for her daughters. I'm not going to do that.

Crystaledwards Guest
    Who sold a screenplay for $100? You've veered off into fantasy.
    From your article.

"The first agreement involved no upfront money at all. The three of us merely agreed to split all the money we received, but we received nothing before the contract expired. Harris purchased a six-month option on The Lost Supreme for $100, but agreed to pay much larger amounts when and if the book was produced as a film or television project."

Perhaps I'm missing something here. I'm obviously not as shrewd or well informed as you when dealing with movie producers given how victorious and prosperous the Blondie movie proved to be for you.

CE

Aw. come on Pete. Surely you remember that after I spoke with Karen Spencer I warned you that she was a fraud. The signs were so obvious to anyone, and I may have been the first one to warn you. But you chose to take her side and dismiss me even though we had a 40 year friendship. I still have your email and I have never forgotten the rebuff. Another poster here on this thread knows the story too.

A screenplay is different than a six-month option, but apparently that surpasses your understanding.

Crystaledwards Guest
    A screenplay is different than a six-month option, but apparently that surpasses your understanding.
    Oh no dearest. It isn't I who lacks understanding about options, budget, casting and contracts. I think greed, vanity and a complete deficiency of the inner workings of the movie business, blind-sided you and impaired your judgement.

The Blondie movie was doomed from the start and based on posting #33, stalebagel warned you that you were dealing with a duplicitous character. You however, ignored his sage advice and forged ahead with unrealistic dreams of Adrian Brody playing you and you playing Shelly Berger. Really?

Netflix is having great success with Orange is The New Black and House of Cards. Perhaps you should reach out to them. You could pitch them a real time, eight hour miniseries based on the eight hours you claim to have actually spent with Ms. Ballard. The script is already written, and recorded, correct me if I am wrong, and if you are fortunate, Adrian Brody and Faith Evans may very well be available this go around.

Good luck to you.

CE
    Last edited by Crystaledwards; 07-07-2014 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Gramnar

I'm kinda astonished that you have so-called professionals engaging in arguments with strangers? I don't get that. But I guess if someone gets called out for being side tracked by someone, that's what happens? Fame, ain't it a b?

I believe there is still a good possibility that The Lost Supreme may make it as a movie. The movie on James Brown comes out August 1st and Oprah Winfrey is going to produce a movie on Darlene Love's autobiography. Plus several years ago the made for TV movie on the Temptations was a big success as well as the fictional group's movie The 5 Heartbeats. I also don't doubt that the Mary Wells bio could be produced one day on film.

I think James' movie might do extremely well considering the promotion it's getting. It could do decent box office but that remains a question mark for now considering the film industry still relies on some mid-level blockbusters [[Transformers movie, Godzilla, etc.)

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rrussi View Post
    I believe there is still a good possibility that The Lost Supreme may make it as a movie. The movie on James Brown comes out August 1st and Oprah Winfrey is going to produce a movie on Darlene Love's autobiography. Plus several years ago the made for TV movie on the Temptations was a big success as well as the fictional group's movie The 5 Heartbeats. I also don't doubt that the Mary Wells bio could be produced one day on film.
    FLO movie has about as much of a chance as Mary Wilson's books had of ever making it to the big or small screen. The music licensing alone won't happen and no one in Hollywood is interested in some tired rehash about how awful Gordy/Ross were in their goal to ruin everyone else's lives with their "master plan"...