[REMOVE ADS]

Unhappy Bobby Womack - RIP

Just breaking news that Bobby Womack has died today . Thanks for the great music.

RIP

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/0...er-dead-at-70/

I just got a text from Rick Classic Master. I am shocked! I am saddened.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It may have been a hoax earlier in the week. [[The link to your article says that he died Thursday) but Variety - the bible of the entertainment industry, is now reporting that he died and that he died today.

Legendary soul singer-songwriter Bobby Womack, whose career spanned several decades, died on Friday. He was 70.

His label XL Recordings, which confirmed the news to Rolling Stone, did not know the cause of death. He had struggled with drug addiction and health problems for decades.

Womack wrote numerous R&B hits including “It’s All Over Now,” which became a staple for the Rolling Stones. He also wrote “If You Think You’re Lonely Now,” “That’s the Way I Feel About Cha” and “Lookin’ for a Love.”

Womack first began singing in the 1950s along with his brothers in a gospel group and later in a ensemble known as the Valentinos. He gained prominence after Sam Cooke signed the group to his SAR Records in 1960.

Womack later worked as a songwriter and guitarist for acts including Aretha Franklin, Sly Stone, Wilson Pickett and many more.

Born in Cleveland, Womack was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2009 . He released the well-received album “The Bravest Man in the Universe” in 2012.

more to come…

http://variety.com/2014/music/news/s...70-1201253479/

LadyLola Guest
    oh no. so sad to hear this

Bobby Womack was always very nice to me. I knew his whole family, the mom and the dad and his brothers. Sad news, yes! I did know he was having health problems over the past few years.

That soulful voice and the beautifully written lyrics is a part of the song track of my life! My condolences to the Womack family.

Wow! What a loss, and what a tragic way to go. I admire his body of work over the decades.

Thanks for the music, Bobby!

I heard this sad news this morning when it was reported on the BBC TV Breakfast News.

The BBC Website has quite a feature on the man to mark the occasion, including a five minute video interview with him from 2012 ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28067878

After having been buying his records for over 40 years I finally got around to seeing him perform "Live" at London's Royal Albert Hall at the end of last year and it was one of the best concerts I've ever attended.

R.I.P. BOBBY WOMACK and thanks for the music ....

Roger ....

I have been listening to his music for over 50 years. Sad that he died at a young 70 years old.

What sad news once again, a real legend, May Bobby Rest in Peace.

UK TV and Radio news have shown such respect and coverage to his passing, both major Breakfast shows did lead news headlines reporting and one spoke live to Rolling Stone Magazine in New York, who it is said broke the news. One Radio network Smooth lead with it as the first news item.

He made more of my favourite records than anyone else.

R.I.P.

wonder_woman Guest
    The very first record I ever bought was ' I Can Understand It' back in the 70's still love it today, very sad day, the loss of a great talented genius.
    R.I.P Mr.Womack

This was a big blow to my evening yesterday! "Across 110th Street" and "Lookin' for a Love" are staples on my ipod! Another one of our greats gone.

Hi!

Actually it was the Soul Tracks site that broke the news first, and The Rolling Stone Magazine quoted them.
    R.I.P. Bobby!

Best regards
    Heikki

Bobby's passing is a major loss to American Soul/R&B music and he had so much rich and
    at times controversial history it would take a book to tell it all. He himself did indeed write
    his own memoirs a few years back which I highly recommend still I think his story is worthy
    of the treatment given to artists like Mary Wells, Jackie Wilson etc...From his time with
    Sam Cooke to his early work with Sly Stone to his own solo releases and duets with singers
    like Patti Labelle and after there is so much about Bobby to remember fondly. The sad
    thing is if you ask the average30+ year old person about his sound, unique as it was, and
    influence they'll look at you and say: "Bobby Who?"....RIP, Mr Womack, we'll miss you....

It's been confirmed, I have accepted it and I say AMEN! This is still a tough one. Bobby Womack and his music seemed to just glide through the decades of my life up until now. He was dependable, durable and you just came to expect a good song or a good record from him from time to time. Knowing quite a bit about his back history, I knew he would put some of those experiences in his songs. God said "sing!" and the Womack Brothers "SANG!" No special training, no special treatment, just their desire and God given talent. Man I'm going to really miss Bobby Womack being with us, but take comfort in knowing his music will always be with us forever! Rest in peace Bobby thanks man....we'll never forget ya.

Marv

Hey! Remember this? Sang this one many times as a kid:

Jimmy knew the family, they grew up in Cleveland, Bobby's father was a Preacher .
    The brothers were known around Cleveland early on before their group in the 1950's The Valentinos.
    R.I.P., thanks for all the memorable recordings Bobby.
    What a distinctive edgy, gritty voice he had, once you heard it the first time you knew who it was singing on the first notes of any of his records there after.

S.S.

The best of the best. Another one of pioneers has now past. He will never be forgotten.

Remembering the GREAT Mr. Bobby Womack:

So sad to hear this news...thanks for all the great music.

R.I.P. Bobby Womack

R.I.P. and thank you for the music.....

I heard this news today and I had to sit down for a while. Bobby Womack's "Daylight" ,was my mantra back in my late teens.
    Sam Cooke told Bobby that he would be one of the pioneers that would change the course of R&B music.
    R.I.P. Bobby Womack and thank you. "The Poet"

Hey! Remember this? Sang this one many times as a kid:

This remains my favorite BW song of all times!!!
    "Street Child tell me where will you be going when old man winter gets his horn and starts blowing."

Quote Originally Posted by nysister View Post
    This remains my favorite BW song of all times!!!
    "Street Child tell me where will you be going when old man winter gets his horn and starts blowing."
    Nysister your citing of those lyrics, that line from the song got me a little emotional here for a second. Those lyrics gave me vivid memories of some of the friends I knew in the early 70's that didn't have it so good.

Nysister your citing of those lyrics, that line from thong got me a little emotional here for a second. Those lyrics gave me vivid memories of some of the friends I knew in the early 70's that didn't have it so good.
    Marv2, I so feel you on this, that is why this song mean so much to me.

Another legend gone,one of the great soul voices[that's the way i feel about cha]is a classic,r.i.p.

Bobby's 60's output [[Fly Me To The Moon, What Is This, I Left My Heart In San Francisco, More Than I Can Stand, It's Gonna Rain, etc.) is fondly remembered and regularly played.

I will never forget that in between Johnny Mathis and Robert Flack and Barbara Streisand, my aunt and grandmother played Harry Hippie.

When I took my girls to Daycare I used to play my old mix cassettes for them. The second song on the first tape that I played for them was "Looking for a Love". I can still hear their little 3 and 4 year old voices singing background.