When I hear the term "Smooth" Jazz I tend to think of artists like DAVE KOZ and PETER WHITE who seem to make music to relax to, whereas when I think of "Acid Jazz" I think of music that is aimed just as much at the dance-floor as it is to listeners. However there is an argument that "Smooth Jazz" actually relates to a specific Radio Format which would include elements of both of these.

When Jazz-FM started up in London in the early 1990s they had a curious daytime format that consisted of Jazz Standards from the likes of ELLA FITZGERALD, FRANK SINATRA, SARAH VAUGHAN, LOUIS ARMSTRONG etc., the occasional "Soul Classic" from the likes of ARETHA FRANKLIN or OTIS REDDING and a smattering of 1970s Jazz/Funk, these were interspersed with the occasional contemporary tune by the likes of THE BRAND NEW HEAVIES, INCOGNITO and THE JAMES TAYLOR QUARTET. About 10 years later the station went through a "Smooth Jazz" phase when DAVE KOZ etc. were in heavy rotation, the Jazz-Standards were cut down to the minimum and a higher proportion of '70s Soul and Funk got played. During the "Smooth Jazz" phase the "Acid Jazz" was still played as much as when the station first started.

Roger