[REMOVE ADS]

Lulu Guest

Liz Smith Review of Diana's MSG Concert!

By Liz Smith, Tribune Content Agency

Liz Smith

4:30 a.m. CDT, June 24, 2014

"I NEED love, love to ease my mind/And need to find time, someone to call mine/But Mama said, you can't hurry love, no you just have to wait!"

DIANA ROSS [[and the Supremes) belted that one out about four decades ago. And today, the great star, Miss Ross is still belting out "You Can't Hurry Love," as well as a clutch of other hits from her "Supreme" days.

Ross, her backup-up singers, her half-dozen costumes, her glamorously unmanageable hair, and her opening act, daughter Rhonda, gave their all Saturday night at The Theater at Madison Square Garden.

This is pretty much the same show we saw about 10 years ago -- less a few of her Supremes hits -- but even paring down those classic tunes, Ross' show is packed with what some call nostalgia.

Naaah. I think it is real respect for the audiences that made her a star. Like Cher, Ross does not wish to "challenge" her audience, or make them "think." She wants to give the best of herself and give the people who paid good money to see her a good time. A real good time. [[Memo to Madonna -- people who pay $250 a ticket don't want to think, or listen to your latest music. They just want to have fun!)

DIANA'S time onstage amounts to about 90 minutes, which is perfect. And she doesn't waste a second. She has enough solo hits to satisfy and when she sings "Don't Explain," from "Lady Sings the Blues," time stands still. Her voice, inevitably huskier, with a bit less range, remains perfect for this Billie Holiday classic.

Audience response was tremendous, especially on songs like "Love Child" and "I'm Coming Out." The ovations were idolatrous. Over the top, some might say, and Ross encourages her audience to participate. The interaction is very exciting. Ross herself seemed blown away by her reception, humbled even. [[Under the imperious diva of legend, is a real woman with mortal frailties and insecurity.)

I always like to give this icon a shout-out. She is a great star who has remained true to herself and to "those wonderful people out there in the dark." They are the ones who lifted her [[and Flo and Mary) to the top.

It hasn't always been easy being Diana Ross, as a Supreme or as a fabulous solo star. [[One whose movie career never went where it should have, thanks in great part to the meddling of her mentor, Berry Gordy. And, of course, to the times, which haven't changed very much for leading ladies of color.)

I don't think Ross has ever really told her tale with complete candor. Less to protect herself from criticism, and more to protect herself from pain. But she has raised five beautiful children who seem to adore her. What we think we know about Diana Ross should begin and end there.

It was lovely to have you here in New York, Diana. Come back soon.

Good Review
    Thanks Rob !!!!
    Diana has really kept her promise and reconnected with her fans.

I think Liz Smith's closing paragraph said it all as far as Diana Ross is concerned. Sadly I will not be able to attend her Montreal, Canada concerts slated for July 3rd [[sold out) and July 4th at the Montreal International Jazz Festival. I did purchase tickets for family members who live in Ottawa, and I will post any comments or photos that they provide.

LadyLola Guest
    I have always admired Liz Smith for her pin point perfection when it comes to reviewing a great performance such as this of Miss Ross.

LadyLola Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Good Review
    Thanks Rob !!!!
    Diana has really kept her promise and reconnected with her fans.
    Yes indeed she has and continues to this day and beyond.

smark21 Guest
    Although I guess I'm in the minority of Ross fans who would like to see her challenge her audience a bit more and make them think and more importantly, feel intently. A few more intense ballads would make her show meatier IMO, and then she can bring the audience back to fun and genuine uplift by wrapping the show with her upbeat anthems. But hey, she's pleasing the majority of her concert attendees and that's what matters in the end.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Although I guess I'm in the minority of Ross fans who would like to see her challenge her audience a bit more and make them think and more importantly, feel intently. A few more intense ballads would make her show meatier IMO, and then she can bring the audience back to fun and genuine uplift by wrapping the show with her upbeat anthems. But hey, she's pleasing the majority of her concert attendees and that's what matters in the end.
    I'm completely with you! Aside from "I'm Coming Out", "The Boss" "Ain't No Mountain", I'd prefer to see the show heavy on the ballads which isn't what the gen. pub. typically responds to although "Don't Explain" gets quite an ovation every time!

I, too, would like more "meat" with my Diana Ross potatoes but the potatoes are mighty fine!

Maybe one day she can do a special show in NYC or LA and drop a lot of the hits. It isn't going to happen on any kind of greatest hits tour, especially when they continue to be so successful. There are few if any 70 year olds out there doing this at this level and moving around the country like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Maybe one day she can do a special show in NYC or LA and drop a lot of the hits. It isn't going to happen on any kind of greatest hits tour, especially when they continue to be so successful. There are few if any 70 year olds out there doing this at this level and moving around the country like this.
    The closest she came to a different type of show was when she did the jazz and blues concert in NYC for Pay Per View back in 1992. A while back, she mentioned a sort of special tour or concert, but said that she couldn't see herself doing a tour that might disappoint those wanting to hear the hits. She mentioned that she had recently gone to see Eric Clapton and while the show was good, she was disappointed that he didn't perform his hit TEARS IN HEAVEN.

At this point, it would be nice to have some surprises in the set list. But I know that most likely isn't going to happen soon, so I am satisfied with what she does give.

I agree Reese and I can hear most of the concert goers saying what Diana said about Eric Clapton. I'd love her to leave out Baby Love but nobody besides the guys on SD would agree.

smark21 Guest
    A shame that the jazz and blues concert was a pay per view one off and she didn't tour it.

Last night Elvis Costello played Carnegie Hall and his show was certainly a challenge to his fans as he mostly played album cuts from his albums of the early 00's. He did a few of the fan favorites but he re-arranged them so people didn't recognize them until he got to the words of the chorus. That's certainly the opposite extreme of an act who only does the hits and nothing but the hits as they were originally recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    A shame that the jazz and blues concert was a pay per view one off and she didn't tour it.

Last night Elvis Costello played Carnegie Hall and his show was certainly a challenge to his fans as he mostly played album cuts from his albums of the early 00's. He did a few of the fan favorites but he re-arranged them so people didn't recognize them until he got to the words of the chorus. That's certainly the opposite extreme of an act who only does the hits and nothing but the hits as they were originally recorded.
    elvis costello is not challenging his fans ... we have always expected him to push us in new and different directions. the same goes for bob dylan. diana ross is a retro act living on past laurels. her show is what most people expect and want of her. she has never been challenging and her career model has worked well for her. she is a pop entertainer, not an inventive artist. i can see no reason why or how she could reinvent herself now.

Regardless of the kind of concert she is doing, Diana Ross is getting better and better reviews all the time and attracting more and more attention ~ whether it be because of Motown the Musical or because she is now a senior out on tour when most of her colleagues have taken a "seat".