[REMOVE ADS]

Tyler Perry's For Colored Girls

For Colored Girls opens in Atlanta today. If the movie has half the punch of the stage play, I can forget that I don't sing TP's praises. The cast is phenomenal - Janet Jackson, Loretta Divine, Whoopi Goldberg, Phyllica Rashad [sp], Kimberly Elise, Thandie Newton . . .
    Here is a link to the trailer:

For years I've walked around repeating the Alfre Woodard line, 'Somebody just walked off with my s#!t'. There are a few more that rise to the surface when the occasion is right. The trailer makes me want to spend the money.

Is this the For colored girls who have considered suicide when the rainbow is enuf.? Saw this off broadway years ago and was deeply moved...Paulo XXXX

While I know I won't be seeing it on the big screen , I have to agree the casting is phenomenal. I will see it on dvd when
    it gets there, though. I'm not a Tyler Perry fan either but with this being a screen adaption of the play I can't completely
    ignore it. I hope he doesn't botch the ending as he has a few of his own films...

If you look at the reviews they say the acting is phenomenal but the script is choppy. One reviewer said this movie makes Precious look like Pollyanna. It looks good though you cant always go by reviews Rocky got horrible reviews when it came out and look what happened!

For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf was written by Ntozake Shange as a series of poems. Tyler Perry stuck pretty much to the original dialogue of the original play. It's not in the least bit choppy if you are aware of the origins of the piece.

There was one character added that was not in the play, the guy that plays Janet Jackson's husband. He was added to give the guys a slightly higher and more sympathetic presence, although once people see it, I can see lots of criticism coming but the character is quite nuanced and exceptionally played.

I wrote this in the wee hours of the morning and after reading I feel the need to add something. The other reason I think critics may see the dialogue as choppy is because these poems or what is called choreopoems [[sp?) were a series of poems that were choreographed around music but again, in order to fully appreciate what Tyler has done, you need to be familiar with the original work.