[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross Top 20 Hit in 19 Markets

For the few of you out there who are interested in facts and figures here is a link to a site which lists all of Diana's solo Top 20 hits in 19 markets.

http://artisteschartsventes.blogspot...iana-ross.html

There is also a list for the Supremes.
    Last edited by florence; 06-17-2014 at 03:40 AM.

Could you give us the URL for the Supremes as well.

Thanks.

Thanks Rob,
    Very much appreciated.

Interesting site Florence and thanks for posting.

The site has none of THE SUPREMES singles reaching the Canadian Top 20 .. surely that can't be right .. can it?

Interestingly the site has the territory where Miss Ross has had the most success as being the U.K. and her most successful single worldwide being "Upside Down".

It seems that "Upside Down" reached #1 in [[amongst other places) Australia, New Zealand and South Africa [[I wonder if it was re-titled "Right Way Up" down there) ...

Roger

RPM was the most visible Canadian Music Magazine emphasizing charts. I don't think it existed in the 60's.

It was Baby Love and Stop in the Name of Love and My Girl that brought Motown to Canada, but principally, it was the Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Interesting site Florence and thanks for posting.

The site has none of THE SUPREMES singles reaching the Canadian Top 20 .. surely that can't be right .. can it?

Interestingly the site has the territory where Miss Ross has had the most success as being the U.K. and her most successful single worldwide being "Upside Down".

It seems that "Upside Down" reached #1 in [[amongst other places) Australia, New Zealand and South Africa [[I wonder if it was re-titled "Right Way Up" down there) ...

Roger
    I see that it says that the period covered for both Canada and Sweden began in 1975.

I'm not sure whether there were charts in Sweden before 1975 but there most certainly were for Canada.

Diana had top 20 hits there in the early 70s and as far as I can see the Supremes had these:

02 Where Did Our Love Go
    05 Baby Love
    18 Come See About Me
    06 Stop! In The Name Of Love
    09 Back In My Arms Again
    08 Nothing But Heartaches
    06 I Hear A Symphony
    06 My World Is Empty....
    15 Love Is Like An Itching....
    01 You Can't Hurry Love
    02 You Keep Me Hangin'On
    09 Love Is Here......
    03 The Happening
    02 Reflections
    07 In And Out Of Love
    01 Love Child
    08 I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
    02 I'm Livin' In Shame
    12 I'll Try Something New
    02 Someday We'll Be Together
    13 Up The Ladder To The Roof
    09 Stoned Love
    06 Nathan Jones

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    I see that it says that the period covered for both Canada and Sweden began in 1975.

I'm not sure whether there were charts in Sweden before 1975 but there most certainly were for Canada.

Diana had top 20 hits there in the early 70s and as far as I can see the Supremes had these:

02 Where Did Our Love Go
    05 Baby Love
    18 Come See About Me
    06 Stop! In The Name Of Love
    09 Back In My Arms Again
    08 Nothing But Heartaches
    06 I Hear A Symphony
    06 My World Is Empty....
    15 Love Is Like An Itching....
    01 You Can't Hurry Love
    02 You Keep Me Hangin'On
    09 Love Is Here......
    03 The Happening
    02 Reflections
    07 In And Out Of Love
    01 Love Child
    08 I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
    02 I'm Livin' In Shame
    12 I'll Try Something New
    02 Someday We'll Be Together
    13 Up The Ladder To The Roof
    09 Stoned Love
    06 Nathan Jones
    Thanks for the clarification Florence ..

The U.K. Top 20 positions look right to me, and for those who are interested, the following SUPREMES singles charted in Britain without making the Top 20 ...

Come See About Me - 27
    Back In My Arms Again - 40
    I Hear A Symphony - 39
    Forever Came Today - 28
    No Matter What Sign You Are - 37
    Bad Weather - 37

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    RPM was the most visible Canadian Music Magazine emphasizing charts. I don't think it existed in the 60's.

It was Baby Love and Stop in the Name of Love and My Girl that brought Motown to Canada, but principally, it was the Supremes.
    In Britain it was "My Guy", "Where Did Our Love Go", "Baby Love" and "Stop In The Name Of Love" that were the first proper runaway hits for Motown ... strangely it was the version of "My Girl" by OTIS REDDING that was the big chart hit back in 1965.

Then there was a period of subdued U.K. chart action for Motown before "Can't Hurry Love", "Reach Out" and "What Becomes Of the Brokenhearted" went mega around the end of 1966.

Since then Motown has been a constant presence here .. I was in a pub earlier today and heard "Reach Out", "Just My Imagination " and a few STEVIE WONDER tunes and earlier I heard "Needle In A Haystack" playing in my local shopping mall.

Roger

Roger
    The guy seems to be updating the site quite quickly - positions for Canada now filled in and fortunately they agree with what I listed above.

He says that Sweden 1962-75 will be adding soon.

I find the Oz chart fascinating as the really big hits like "Touch Me In The Morning", "Endless Love", "Upside Down" [[still released as "Upside Down" Down Under ;-)), "Chain Reaction" the most iconic La Ross tracks are the hits and then outside of these hits nothing, nada, but growing up here RnB/Soul really didn't chart here until Destiny's Child had the first number 1 hit with "Survivor". We had like one record store that sold RnB records and that was in Melbourne. Crazy. Thank you Florence for the breakdown.

Thanks for the clarification Florence ..

The U.K. Top 20 positions look right to me, and for those who are interested, the following SUPREMES singles charted in Britain without making the Top 20 ...

Come See About Me - 27
    Back In My Arms Again - 40
    I Hear A Symphony - 39
    Forever Came Today - 28
    No Matter What Sign You Are - 37
    Bad Weather - 37

Roger
    Plus the ones which just missed - appeared in the Breakers just outside top 50:

Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart
    Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love
    Without The One You Love [[with The Four Tops)

and for Diana:

Good Morning Heartache
    One Love In My Lifetime [[#1 Breaker for 2 weeks)
    You're A Special Part Of Me [[with Marvin Gaye)
    My Mistake [[Was To Love You) [[with Marvin Gaye)