[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes in harmony

The blend made them so popular.

Thanks for posting Luke. "More"is one of my most favorite harmonic performances by the original trio.....and not to highjack your thread. I also cringe at the over the top hair do's here. I think their stylist must have watched a recent performance by the Maguire Sisters. This look was odd because this was the dawning of the Mod era. Flo had already worn her Sasson symmetrical flip on the previous performance. Btw I do understand that certain looks go over better with some songs but this hair did not work for Itching in my heart.

Last edited by soulballad; 06-12-2014 at 05:12 PM.

So nice to see the Supremes perform and sing as a group instead of a lead and two background singers. I wish it had happened more often. They had a unique blend just as the McGuires and the Andrews had. And Diana still could have done leads just as Patti did with the Andrews and Phyllis did with the Mc Guires

supremester Guest
    I love this clip for all the same reasons, seeing DMF in an actual group routine is such a treat. I love the arrangement and also agree about the hair: it's rare when all three were having a bad hair day, but it happened. Ross' is very Lady Bird, Flo's looks like she bought it off the rack and ran out onstage with it. Mary's doesn't work wither, but it's the best of the three. I wish there was footage of their opening songs like Happy Face, Tonight & From This Moment On.

I remember the Sunday night this aired on the Ed Sullivan Show. They had just done Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart. Also, James Brown was on the same night. What a double treat. I think this is when James Brown and the Supremes played Madison Square Garden on the same bill.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    So nice to see the Supremes perform and sing as a group instead of a lead and two background singers. I wish it had happened more often. They had a unique blend just as the McGuires and the Andrews had. And Diana still could have done leads just as Patti did with the Andrews and Phyllis did with the Mc Guires
    In many numbers, The Supremes employed the very same harmonies used by the great sister acts: Boswells, Andrews, McGuires, etc., but their harmonies sounded vastly different because sibling voices are much more similar while Flo, Mary and Diane each had a very distinctive voice, nothing like each others'. To me, this created a very different and compelling sound. In this "More" performance it's unfortunate that most of it was sung in unison and Diane's breakout leads were much, much longer than, say, Connee's, Patty's, or Phyllis's. It's sad indeed that Mary and Flo were so under-utilized but that would not have fit into Gordy's & Diane's master plan.