[REMOVE ADS]

Eric Cantor is GONE!!!!!!!

That SNAKE!!!!! YIPPPPIIIIEEEEE!

Be careful of what you are happy for. The guy who beat Cantor is a very extreme tea-bagger but may not be able to win a general election, unless the republicans Gerrymandered the district, and they try hard to suppress the vote. He played on White fear of immigration.

I know it's early, but the implications seem good for the Democrat challenger.

It ain't over!

RossHolloway Guest
    Ain't That Good News!

I'm holding my breath, here. Good to see him go, but it's not like the guy who won is a moderate. If he manages to win the general election, then he's going to stonewall even more to make sure nothing gets done for the last two years of President Obama's term.

We'll see what happens. Obama won Virginia in 2008 and 2012. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail.

At least Eric Cantor was willing to negotiate starting with last year's budget debt ceiling.

All we can hope for is that the Democratic challenger wins the seat.

Ted Cruz said that "people are just frustrated with Washington politicians". Ummm... What is he, again? And what has been his signature piece of legislation so far? Those people are getting scarier and scarier with their warped perspective of the US. They are willing to hold the majority hostage over the principles of a few angry voters.

smark21 Guest
    This is a very safe Republican district, thanks to Gerrymandering. Cantor won 80% of the vote against his Democratic opponent in 2012.

Part of the reason why he lost last night was due to very low turn out in the primary--a lot of motivated Tea Party types turned out to vote because they considered Cantor" too liberal. " I suspect this Brat guy who won last night will win the General election.

thomas96 Guest
    I'd like to hear what you all think about Obama's trade for Bergdahl.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    I'd like to hear what you all think about Obama's trade for Bergdahl.
    It was worth it to get back one of our own.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    This is a very safe Republican district, thanks to Gerrymandering. Cantor won 80% of the vote against his Democratic opponent in 2012.

Part of the reason why he lost last night was due to very low turn out in the primary--a lot of motivated Tea Party types turned out to vote because they considered Cantor" too liberal. " I suspect this Brat guy who won last night will win the General election.
    That's exactly why he lost, but it still remains to be seen what will happen in the general election.

I am very happy that Cantor lost and he is gone.

smark21 Guest
    Here's an opinion piece that does a good job summing up what happened Tuesday:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/12/op...ml?ref=opinion

Crystaledwards Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    That SNAKE!!!!! YIPPPPIIIIEEEEE!
    I'm not sure I would be YIPPPPPEEEING over this. The Tea Party just toppled Eric Cantor, one of the most powerful republicans in congress for some obscure professor. Dave Brat and Cantor are both extremely far-right.

They just swapped out their 2nd most influential person in congress for a freshman nobody with almost identically deranged ideology.

The question remains can Brat win in November? Will the odious Koch brothers pour millions in to ensure a Brat victory?

On a personal level, I don't want the self-sabotaging tea party to ever go away. The GOP is slipping from relevance and will become an exclusively southern regional party soon if it isn't already.

CE

I don't know if they're going to be a regional influence only. Here in the Midwest, their influence is remarkably strong. They have owned the state legislature since the midterm elections and the local news is skewered so as not to piss them off. They just lost [[again) in their attempts to stifle voting in my state. They also passed an anti-abortion law that will certainly be ruled unconstitutional because they felt that the rule of law should not prevent them from legislating what they feel to be right.

We don't have Stand Your Ground yet, but it's on its way. Sometime in the next 6-8 years, the GOP will realize that they have to cut bait with these nutbags and then we'll get our government back. I'm extremely dismayed that the American public has been okay with a total lack of cooperation in the federal government for the last six years.

The tea-bagger presence is very strong here in Arizona. Maricopa County has sheriff Joe Arpaio, a birther, no less. The governor is a tea-bagging mormon, as several them have been, but she has surprisingly been doing right for child welfare. We also have the stand your ground law, and the open-carry people have been working with state legislatures. However Brewer has stopped them. This is the state where people carried machine guns at a rally where President Obama spoke. The state's attorney general is a corrupt racist who has tried to fight any effort to educate non-speaking students and tried to squash African American studies.

Wasn't it Maricopa County's board of elections that printed up bi-lingual voter information cards that had the wrong date for election day on the Spanish side? There was a similar incident in Ohio, where the information had the wrong location for the polling station in the Spanish information.